Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water World Improvements  (Read 2829 times)

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Water World Improvements
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »

My habitable worlds are usually not my highest income worlds, so I'm just trying to satisfy demand with them. I guess the item doesn't really matter, but it feels bad to not use it :P. I personally don't really care much about habitable worlds, as long as they satisfy in-faction demand. A high hazard mining world with the item will make a lot more money, and a nice 150 hazard barren world with industry boosted refining+fuel production will also make more money. I'm looking for systems with those things, and then any habitable world that has enough production of food/organics to meet demand is good.

Also, you need +2 volatiles to supply fuel production for a same-size world with no items, so I need to find either a perfect cryovolcanic world or a nice gas giant. That habitable world will never be good enough. My mining worlds also tend to corner the market on ores, so ores on other worlds are less valuable.

I understand where you're coming from.  For me, I often colonize any system I come across early on that provides all resources at any level, and simply plan on making up the difference with AI cores and story points.  Exploration goodies and large raw resource values are merely a nice bonus if I happen to find them.  A volatile-1 world can supply a same size world if you've got an Alpha administrator, an alpha in the mine, and any core in the fuel production industry.  If find the biggest factor in income is planet size, so starting earlier means I hit "I don't care about credits anymore" earlier.  It also means the distance to a known cryosleeper is a huge factor in system choice for me.

For example, my last run's colony system was a cryosleeper and gate system 43 light years from Askonia (-31% isolation penalty to access).  The habitable colony had farm-1,rare-1,ore-1,volatile-1,oragnic+0, 125% hazard (habitable/high gravity).  The other worlds were barren worlds with extreme heat, no atmosphere, and one with low gravity.  I didn't even bother mining on the barren worlds, so their resources were irrelevant, just their hazard ratings which were 200% and 225%.  Anyone want to guess my end game profit (fully upgraded size 6 planets)?  It was certainly in the range of I don't care about credits anymore.

In summary, if you want credits, get three worlds that cover all resources at some level to size 6 and build a commerce on each.  Build 2 or more military bases to defend them.  You don't really need perfect, or even good.  Merely OK will likely make you rich end game.  Although getting to that point can require different amounts of effort - with habitable worlds tending to be on the cheaper end to build up.
Pages: 1 [2]