Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Probe inside a star. .95a RC15  (Read 742 times)

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
Probe inside a star. .95a RC15
« on: July 14, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »

So, I went to hunt down a bounty and this happened. This domain era survey probe spawned inside of a star. This is -not- a visual glitch. I tried to actually land on it, and the thing is in fact inside of the star itself, and otherwise functions normally. This is the first time I've visited this star if that's also relevant. I have a larger png picture if needed that the forum wont let me post, but I tried to include everything relavent

I am 100% sure it isn't relevant to any degree, but I am including it -just- in case because I'm way too cautious about these reports. The only mod I'm running is the adjustableSkillthreshholds1.0 Mod which makes the game, According to Starsector, have a red error for "Vram low..." at almost all times. So far as I can tell from my OS, Starsector is entirely wrong, and I'm only adding this part just in case.

edit: hilarious, this did accidentally help me learn a fun little thing I can do involve AI cores. It will suddenly make colonizing a certain planet a lot more viable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Probe inside a star. .95a RC15
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 07:36:01 AM »

Thank you for the report! I'm actually aware of this issue, but it's a really tricky one to fix - at least, if it's the same one I'm thinking of - because re-generating the Sector with the same seed will have the probe be in its correct orbit.

edit: hilarious, this did accidentally help me learn a fun little thing I can do involve AI cores. It will suddenly make colonizing a certain planet a lot more viable.

Hah! That is a bit hidden, isn't it :)

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 08:51:16 AM »

Well, it happened again, almost right after. This time with a Comm Relay. I never knew the levels of divine that Luddic path reached to, that they can build inside a star. same scenerio, first time entering the system and it's just, inside the star. This one's actually a bit worse in implication because, while entirely harmless pre-built, the idea an undeveloped point could be in a star like this is....concerning.

I'll keep an eye out if this occurs to spawned fleets like bounties as much as I'm capable, since I'm curious if this is an issue with seed-based spawns or the sector loading. If it helps any, I notice this has only occurred(so far) in places where bounties are set. I don't know how helpful that is since I'm not a heavy explorer and that's how I normally discover star systems, but if anyone is more the explorer type, it be interesting to know how that would effect this event.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »

Thank you for the added info! ... hmm, the save-loading angle is something to consider, yeah.