Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how hard would it be to remove ships/planets/systems from a mod  (Read 613 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

, to take a non-vanilla faction mod that has a ship or gun thats exactly what i want and a lot of stuff that isn't exactly what i want (like how the tyrant from imperium is my favorite flagship even if i never want to use any other ships from it and dont like to add factions to my game) & pare it down into a teeny tiny vanilla-friendly mod that just slips 1 or 2 ships or guns into the game's normal roll of ships & guns that can be found in a vanilla market?
ive refused to learn java my whole life so im not prepared to learn how to code to make my own personal mod using their stolen assets but i am comfortable opening up code i dont understand & deleting stuff until it's what i want. since this is me butchering other people's mods for my specific preferences (& im gonna need to do it to a lot of mods) i wont expect anyone else to do it for me nor would i ever share them
So my question is; how hard would it be to just remove 99% of the features from a faction mod & make the game treat what's left as if it were vanilla content without breaking the game in SS's code? Like, the NSO mod adds a vanilla-friendly phase ground support ship that would fit into a vanilla high tech raiding fleet better than either of the ships that have it rn but it also adds 1 mod system & faction into the game; how hard would it be to delete the rest of the ships & the system & faction & make that 1 ship show up in tritach markets or randomly in black markets?
& if its not too hard, would someone be willing to hold my hand/kick my butt thru the process? I've tried to do this before on my own & only ever managed to bork the game.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: how hard would it be to remove ships/planets/systems from a mod
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 12:11:13 AM »

That depends a lot on how scripted the thing in question is. If it's just a weapon that doesn't use onhitEffect or everyFrameWeaponPlugin or anything the like, you could just copy/paste it's stat line from weapons.csv, get the wpn file from the weapins folder, get the apropriate sprite from the graphics folder and then either put it all in the corresponding places in vanilla or a mod that suits you without changes and it should be available. Though you'd not find it in markets or on ships, that needs some more effort and you'd have to spawn it in via console commands.
Similar workflow for ships.
For scripted stuff it's a bit more complicated especially if the scripts are only contained inside the mod's jar.

Hope that helps a bit

Edit: sorry, I misread. That's how you would add something. My bad
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 12:47:21 AM »

For weapons and ships both, remove any rags they had. For weapons, then add the Restricted and System tags, to stop them appearing in the Codex or on loot tables.

For ships, add HIDE_IN_CODEX to the appropriate place, and then set their weightings in default_ship_roles to 0 (or remove them entirely).

Some of that may not work with skins though, so you might still see them in the Codex.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 04:45:22 AM »

okay im gonna look at this tomorrow & see what i can do, but before i go to bed i need to ask

For weapons and ships both, remove any rags they had

you meant tags, right?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then