Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 23512 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »

The most brilliant-- if not the most fun (kinda confusing, I know)-- game developed ever. I'm not one for hyperbole, but I do think that that statement is factually accurate-- to my knowledge-- at this time.

Who else plays it? Any hilarious stories?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

I play it sometimes. I don't know why, but I don't really get a huge kick out of it, so I don't really play it much.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

Dwarf Fortress is rather amazing. As for stories... there was that time my brother saved his fort after my suggestion he kill all the children for fun. That was amusing

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »

I once got a fort so wealthy that the Queen of my civilization came to make my fortress her capital. Within two weeks she had stripped off all her clothes and ran frothing mad through the halls of the fortress blabbering incomprehensibly before running into my refuse pit, frolicking about and dropping dead of dehydration.

That was GREAT for morale.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »

I play it sometimes. I don't know why, but I don't really get a huge kick out of it, so I don't really play it much.

Its the game where you have to sink into it greatly to enjoy it, by that i mean looking at your dwarf personality, what they did, what is going on, there is no proper end game unless loosing, but in this game loosing is FUN(tm). Its the only game where you will see mommy dwarf raise the children to catch an arrow so she can keep on fighting....

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »

I definitely understand why people don't like it though. I tried getting into it off and on for two years before I finally had fun with it-- you really need someone to guide you in and I didn't.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

Well, I just recently tried the game out, and It's pretty hard for me to see where the game actully is. I mean, all I could see was three screens telling me where I was. And then I didn't understand a thing. Anyone that could tell me what the goal is?

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »

I play it, I love it and I try to mod it. Once made a hack pony mod for it using other peoples hard work.

And I'm, supposed to be working on a program that helps people create mods but, you know, starfarer.  ::)

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »

Well, I just recently tried the game out, and It's pretty hard for me to see where the game actully is. I mean, all I could see was three screens telling me where I was. And then I didn't understand a thing. Anyone that could tell me what the goal is?
There is no goal, there is only FUN!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »

But I couldn't get my head around it!!!
Why are there three screens only telling me where i was???
And who am I in the game? Can't even see the character.....

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

The game's not really my cup of tea, but some of the AARs (especially Boatmurdered) are fantastic.

My current indie squeeze (aside from Starfarer) is Frozen Synapse.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »

But I couldn't get my head around it!!!
Why are there three screens only telling me where i was???
And who am I in the game? Can't even see the character.....
LOL, there is no you, unless you play as an adventurer. The game is you starting a new town with 7 dwarfs that will grow as migrants arrive every few months or so. You have to build EVERYTHING for them and yes that includes clothes. Hell things are so crazy you can even start an entire economy down to the individual dwarf paying for room rent and food and whatever.

It's more difficult to get into the the X series of games.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »

Sorry for not having played the cult classics, but what are the x games? You mean the X-COM games?

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

Sorry for not having played the cult classics, but what are the x games? You mean the X-COM games?

Nope though that series was brutal in difficulty as well.

I'm talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Reunion

I've only ever played X3 Reunion from that series and I've heard that it's kind of the downer of the series, nevertheless it's difficult to get into, so I don't even want to know the others from that series.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

Terran Conflict would be the best one to get into, though this is the DF thread...

So, 'bout them dwarves, eh? :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5