Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 23571 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »

Wait, so what exactly can you do in dwarf fortress? And how does it look like when action finally starts?

It's all ASCII, everything is in ASCII.

You can install graphic mods, but it's more useful to just get used to the ASCII code.

See the matrix man.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »

More useful? I dunno. They work the same way as the ASCII, they just replace the tiles with more palatable images.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

More useful? I dunno. They work the same way as the ASCII, they just replace the tiles with more palatable images.

I haven't found a single graphic set that worked flawlessly, there are many good and beautiful ones but nothing that works as well as just ASCII code.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »

I haven't found a single flaw in the ones I use, so I guess I'm ok there. I'd definitely recommend a graphics tileset-- makes everything easier on the eyes and just makes it easier to get into.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »

The graphics mods do add graphics into the game, instead of ASCII, right?

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »

As I said, it's still ASCII in the sense that every 'tile' in the game represents a certain thing, graphics just replace the various letters with various images.

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

Webcomics, and Dwarf Fortress? Next you guys will be telling me you MUD (like me) :D
I do im on that wayfar1444 mud i think i saw lying around DF forum a few days ago.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

An official 200 page manual and a good graphic tileset would probably triple the playerbase. Boatmurdered was awesome. No idea how to play though.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »

GAH! It's not that difficult people, just trail and error!

Look it up on youtube to see how people play it.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

Youtube Let's Play! videos are how I learned how to play X3. I still can't play the game because it takes a massive time investment, but watching others play games is a fantastic tutorial. Of course, you also have to be careful not to pick up their bad habits.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »

I sat there for three hours with my head spinning, after reading every page on the wiki and finding I still didn't have a clue what to do. Look at all the pretty colours  :-X

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

Definitely watch a Let's Play. If you can, look up 5ippycup. He's a Starfarer player like the rest of us, did a bunch of ship models and a great video tutorial on how to make your own ships-- he's got a great tutorial for how to get started in Dwarf Fortress.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

I sat there for three hours with my head spinning, after reading every page on the wiki and finding I still didn't have a clue what to do. Look at all the pretty colours  :-X
You should try Dwarf Fortress modding.

Or better yet, write a program that allows you to do Dwarf Fortress modding.  :o

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:31 AM »

My only problem with DF is that I could never properly army. I can mine tons of iron and make steel and whatnot, but I never could actually get them to kill stuff. Sadly, when they did.. they usually ended up dead instead of actually killing stuff.

My fortresses would almost always end up as basically a mineshaft in a basically empty plain (with a river, naturally), completely closed off to the outside world... and I just couldnt figure how to .. i guess the word is 'progress' from there.

edit
that didnt stop me from putting somewhere around a hundred hours into it though.. Not sure how that works out.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 07:17:43 AM »

In order to effectively kill stuff you have to train a militia. Go to the nobles screen and assign a captain or commander, exit from the screen and go back (not sure if this was necessary), now assign a another captain (it's called something a little different this time.) Then go to the military screen and look for that second captain, create a new squat with him and assign up to nine other dwarf to it. Then you have to set their schedule, when they are on duty and when they train, you also have to give them a uniform, which was basically their armor.

You also need to build a barracks I think it was called, which is a room where they can live, eat, sleep, train, store their equipment, etc.

Then you wait for months as they train and actually gain skills in armor and weapon use amongst others.

Then at any time you can use the squat menu (not sure what it was called anymore) on the main playing map to tell your squat what to kill on the map.

That's how you kill stuff.

A good thing to have is a working and staffed hospital because there will always be injuries and some of those can only be healed by a doctor with the appropriate skills.

See, it's such a simple game.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5