Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] AI fire reaper at fighters  (Read 935 times)

Ioulaum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a-RC15] AI fire reaper at fighters
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:18:06 AM »

AI constantly fire typhoon reaper at fighters when no other enemy ship nearby.

Fully replicable with a 4*Typhoon Reaper Launcher Onslaughter(aggressive) against Astral and 3 condors in sims.

Tested also with small reaper and hammer torps, seems like all unguided strike missiles are suffering this issue.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:11:27 PM by Ioulaum »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] AI fire repear at fighters
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »

Hi - thank you for the report! What I'm seeing here is it firing a very occasional desperation Reaper (etc) when its flux is very high. So over the course of 3-4 attack runs from all the carriers, it happened once. It might happen slightly more often though since some RNG is involved. Does that match roughly what you're seeing?

If so: this is actually intentional behavior; the AI will sometimes ignore typical restrictions/checks on missile weapon use when it's high on flux. In this specific case perhaps that's not super helpful (though it did nail a Dagger with the Reaper I saw it fire, hah), but it can be more effective as a "get away from me" kind of behavior, rather than letting a ship with missiles just get fluxed out and destroyed without never having fired them.

Ioulaum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 01:03:33 PM »

Hi - thank you for the report! What I'm seeing here is it firing a very occasional desperation Reaper (etc) when its flux is very high. So over the course of 3-4 attack runs from all the carriers, it happened once. It might happen slightly more often though since some RNG is involved. Does that match roughly what you're seeing?

If so: this is actually intentional behavior; the AI will sometimes ignore typical restrictions/checks on missile weapon use when it's high on flux. In this specific case perhaps that's not super helpful (though it did nail a Dagger with the Reaper I saw it fire, hah), but it can be more effective as a "get away from me" kind of behavior, rather than letting a ship with missiles just get fluxed out and destroyed without never having fired them.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your quick reply, I actually noticing it when using a shieldless onslaught. It looks like AI isn't panic fire but rather trying to use non-guided torps to take down multiple fighters at once. So far no observed case on guided missiles (harpoon/atropos/breach).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:49:25 PM by Ioulaum »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »

Hmm - could you post a screenshot of the specific loadout? And, about how often are you observing the torpedoes being used?

Ioulaum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:29:29 PM »

Hmm - could you post a screenshot of the specific loadout? And, about how often are you observing the torpedoes being used?

Please kindly take a look at this video I uploaded:

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] AI fire reaper at fighters
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 02:42:23 PM »

Thank you, that's perfect!

What's happening here is that a ship without shields or phase cloak goes into "panic fire" mode with missiles when its front armor, or overall hull, are low. I've changed it not to do it specifically for ammo-limited strike weapons vs fighters.

(Note: a shielded ship may still occasionally do this if sorely pressed...)

Ioulaum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »

Thank you, that's perfect!

What's happening here is that a ship without shields or phase cloak goes into "panic fire" mode with missiles when its front armor, or overall hull, are low. I've changed it not to do it specifically for ammo-limited strike weapons vs fighters.

(Note: a shielded ship may still occasionally do this if sorely pressed...)

Will the change will be included in the next patch? :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 03:03:53 PM »

Yep! When that'll be, exactly, is another question :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »

Hammers and Reapers and Gauss Cannon shots should pass through fighters like Hellebore shots
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »

Hellbore shots do not in fact pass through fighters. Also, please keep posts in this forum tightly focused on bugs; it's important to make sure there's as little off-topic here as possible to ensure everything gets seen and attended to. Suggestions should go in the Suggestions forum.