Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can officers die? And if not, why not?  (Read 2037 times)

prestidigitation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Can officers die? And if not, why not?
« on: June 07, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »

I’ve had my officers blown out of several ships so I’m pretty sure they can’t. And I’d like to know why they can’t! In Mount and Blade Bannerlord companions (the officer equivalent) can die, and they’re much harder to replace with people of similar qualify than the officers in Starsector. There’s excellent mercenaries for a temp replacement, and there’s also a ton of available officers hanging out in comms, in bars and even arising from meritorious action in the bizarrely named and badly overloaded intel page (which combines quest log, message log, several actions and a secondary map into one big blob of indifferent usability)

Officers are cheaper than ships and traditionally go down with the ship, but in this game they typically abandon their crew while saving their own skins!

In the immortal words of Elsa, it’s time to let em go

Faeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Can officers die? And if not, why not?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »

I find it a bit startling how quickly officers level up too, a level 1 officer being mentored will hit max level after one large fight generally.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »

Because they are a major investment and losing one would be annoying. That's it.

It's hard enough to find 8 guys with the correct aggression and base skills without having them randomly die, not even getting into the SP investments in them.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »

I can already picture the rage threads we'd get when the AI routinely gets half your officers killed because you weren't close enough to babysit.
That's definitely something I can do without.

prestidigitation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 02:56:42 PM »

Because they are a major investment and losing one would be annoying. That's it.

It's hard enough to find 8 guys with the correct aggression and base skills without having them randomly die, not even getting into the SP investments in them.

If you mentor them you can change their aggression level by one step more or less aggressive. It widens the pool substantially.

Kahnmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »

This feels like it should be an Iron or hardmode thing.

prestidigitation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »

I’d be fine with it being optional, but ships dying isn’t optional so I’m not sure why officers dying would be.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 03:20:59 PM »

I’d be fine with it being optional, but ships dying isn’t optional so I’m not sure why officers dying would be.

So people that don't want their carefully picked and trained officers to die don't have their experience ruined to cater to your taste?
Right now officers dying isn't part of the game at all, so why wouldn't it be optional at most?

Kahnmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 03:22:50 PM »

Well, This is something could be really easily cleared up with some lore, which I have been wondering about myself:

Do escape pods or some sort of escape shuttle exist in the starsector universe? I mean, if they do then you can assume that your officers (and yourself, when your ship gets blown up) make use of these, If they don't then yes, it is a bit of immersion breaking plot-hole.

StrikeEcho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 10:00:19 PM »

Well, This is something could be really easily cleared up with some lore, which I have been wondering about myself:

Do escape pods or some sort of escape shuttle exist in the starsector universe? I mean, if they do then you can assume that your officers (and yourself, when your ship gets blown up) make use of these, If they don't then yes, it is a bit of immersion breaking plot-hole.

They exist, you can see them every time you change command ships, a small shuttle pops out and flys to the ship you've selected.

Kahnmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 10:30:32 PM »

They exist, you can see them every time you change command ships, a small shuttle pops out and flys to the ship you've selected.

Right, the shuttle pod, there's even an entry for it in the codex. I guess I'm just curious about the specifics. For instance, if a ship is destroyed, does the hanger still function? It probably would if the ship is only disabled, but if the ship is blown apart, do they just hope the shuttle is in one piece? (and it conveniently always is!?!?). Or maybe, maybe the command deck IS the shuttle pod, now that would be smart! Really silly bookkeeping I know, and I don't think this should be a mandatory part of the game, but it might make things interesting on a hard mode if one ever gets added.

That said, does the rest of the crew have escape pods they can potentially reach? Maybe some kind of cryostasis escape pod? Would explain why I occasionally find crew floating around in debris fields.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 02:33:05 AM »

If you mentor them you can change their aggression level by one step more or less aggressive. It widens the pool substantially.

That's what I meant by SP investments, not just the elite skills. I have a hell of a time getting Aggressive and Reckless officers. So many timid-balanced show up and the balanced all have terrible skills.

The luck involved is annoying.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »

99% of the playerbase would just load saves every time an officer died
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Vextor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 03:15:58 PM »

I didn't even bother using officers until I found out they can't die tbh

prestidigitation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 03:27:59 PM »

99% of the playerbase would just load saves every time an officer died

I'm pretty sure 99% of playerbase loads saves when ships die, so what?
Pages: [1] 2