Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: yay or nay (tip for my first colony...)  (Read 2674 times)

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
yay or nay (tip for my first colony...)
« on: May 23, 2021, 07:02:58 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am REALY new to the game but love it so far.  ;D
As i was on an exploration, i stumbled over a low-grade remnant system.
Got curious and explored it aswell.
The system has 2 stable slots, one with an already build comm relay.
It has a distance around 6-7ly to the next core world.

There are 4 planets in it:

Terran:
Spoiler

i think with +1 bio and +2 food it is a good "food production world"
[close]

Volcanic:
Spoiler

this one has +3 transplutonic and +1 ore, but the hazard rating troubls me
[close]

Barren:
Spoiler

one of two barren worlds in the system.
this one has +1 ore but 225% hazard.
the second barran world has only 175% but has a -1 ore :-\
[close]

the Terran planet is, in my opinion a good starting planet.
the volcanic a good mining one, if the hazard rating werent that high :-\

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: yay or nay (tip for my first colony...)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 07:15:39 AM »

You have yourself a winner!
You are right about the hazard rating of the volcanic planet but the location, the Terran planet, and the pristine comm relay make up for it.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »

It's alright, but far from ideal in the current meta. The terran world can't use soil nanites, the barren and volcanic ones are terribly high hazard.

What you want is essentially:

1) Low hazard habitable with food and no volatiles/transplutonics for your farming, light industry and commerce.

2) 150% hazard barren with no atmosphere for fuel and ship production, and refining. If it's hot, higher hazard is fine, stick a military base here.

3) Volcanic/toxic with crazy ores for mining with mantle bore. If volcanic, also a military base. Toxic only if it also has organics.

4) Gas giant with exactly +2 volatiles for plasma dynamo.

The closer the system is to this ideal, the better. Yours isn't very close. I'd say keep looking.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 07:19:28 AM »

That first world is amazing at that distance, I've explored about 1/3 the sector and haven't seen 1 that solid. That 75% will make the overhead costs super low. How much cash do you have on hand? Setting up with less 3-4 million minimum is risky. You need 2.25 (I think) million just for a max starbase and other buildings cost around 300k and you need several of them.

The other planets are kinda crappy honestly.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:43:11 AM »

The first planet is great, first colony.

Your second colony should be the low hazard -1 ore barren for manufacturing purposes.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 07:50:49 AM »

I'd probably take the terran world just for being so close to the core. That's really helpful early on.
I also wouldn't worry too much about minmaxing with special items. All colonies can be moneymakers unless the hazard rating is crazy high.

Solid first colony, wish I'd find one of those that wasn't like 30ly away tucked in some obscure corner.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 07:58:06 AM »

OP does not need soil nanites.  The terran provides more than enough to meet demand.  Also, soil nanites adds +4 to pather interest - lame for an item that is barely needed.  That terran planet would rather have Dealmaker Holosuite for the Commerce that will be placed there, or maybe Biofactory Embryo for the drug trade.  Soil nanites are more useful for planets with poor farmland.

The only items that are mandatory are a nanoforge and synchrotron to meet demand for military base.  Demand for everything else can be met with planets with enough resources, and with colony improvements and/or Industrial Planning.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »

It is also extremely convenient to have a gate in-system, or at least close by. I, personally, rate gate-in-system as mandatory, but I'm aware other people don't value it quite as much.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »

It is also extremely convenient to have a gate in-system, or at least close by. I, personally, rate gate-in-system as mandatory, but I'm aware other people don't value it quite as much.

uhm... it has a gate in it...

an thx for the answers... that was fast  ;D

i have roughly 1,5m at hand and atm not much explored 'yet'.
to sum it up, the terran world is a no brainer and the other planets in that system (sadly) arn't worth it
so looking for other planets for industry purpose.

is it preferable if they are close to this system or just preferable if it is close to the core, even if it is at the oposit side from this system?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 08:17:52 AM »

IIRC your own colonies contribute to the proximity bonus, so it can be either close to your system, or close to core. For defense purposes, it might be better to have everything close together. But then again, gates are a thing now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 08:36:36 AM »

It is also luck.  If the game does not spawn a good enough system with a gate, will the player quit the game and play another seed?

The game I played, I would have taken a good system with a gate, but I had no such luck.

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 11:06:43 AM »

just some 5ly away from that system, if found this one

Spoiler

+3 transplutonic, +2 ore production
[close]

worth it?
downside is the system has neither a portal nor a stable location

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »

I'd say not worth it for the new planet... its a better mining world than the volcanic, but not good enough for being in another system.

RedScorpion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »

Looks ok. But might not be necessary. I’ve found that ultra rich ore is not necessary if you can find the mining item (+3), which seems to exceed any demand by the refinery. I forget by how much but I didn’t need both ultrarich and the item. No stable location hurts too, at least one for makeshift comm relay is nice. So might be better to look elsewhere.

Hazard rating really affects the ability of places to grow too (and expensive if you do grow it), so I think a low hazard world with ok stats is relatively better. At least until you can supply your own faction with goods, for that nice upkeep discount on in-faction supplies.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »

Given the original system has a gate and pristine comm relay, there's no reason not to call it home.  I agree the Terran planet should be your first colony, and the 175% barren world is perfectly fine for a second.  Keep in mind, you can have profitable planets without resource extraction.

If I found such a system in my game and had 1.5 million in the bank, I'd colonize the Terran world immediately.  I'd aim for a farm + mine + light industry + commerce, since that would be a solid money maker on the cheap.  I would then eye the lower hazard barren world to be fuel production + heavy Industry + refining + military base/high command if monthly income was stable and positive.  Such a barren world (presumably hot?) would get benefit from all potential matching colony goodies you find with no downside.  And it doesn't matter what it's base resources are since I wouldn't be mining there.

Alternatively, I might trade profit for being hands off by swapping commerce for a second military base/high command.  Once you have 2 good sized military bases with heavy industry + nanoforge, you can start to ignore raids by factions as the local defenses can handle them.

The volcanic world might be a later game project if you play that long, dropping a Mining + Military Base combination on it, assuming I wanted to be fully self sufficient, and the Terran world was developed enough to make paying hazard pay trivial.  A single source of normal ore (not transplutonic) and no other mining resources is probably not worth building a mining industry for, even if it is +3.

Between exploration finds, AI cores (if you choose to farm them), and story points you should be able to make a fairly cozy home system I think.
Pages: [1] 2