Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: [0.96a] Halo - United Nations Space Command (UNSC) v0.4a - Update (06/02/2023)  (Read 187110 times)

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

The point of the MACs is for mass firing not so much individual ship to ship.
That doesn't change that UNSC ships are not great against an enemy fleet of similar size with ships of similar size, at least in the early game.

I would argue otherwise, A halberd and two well armed paris class ships using only UNSC ships can hold their own in early game (if player uses halberd and exploits extreme range of MAC cannon
Last time I tried to use Halberds they just grouped up in the middle of the combat map refusing to follow orders, and as I said before, the MACs on early game ships can't be relied on, so performance will depend primarily on what the player can get to fill the weapon slots, which in my case I generally cant get most UNSC weapons until after exploring a few ruins.

Jack Ardan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

good ships require good captains

Bendigo

• Ensign
    • View Profile

"You claim to be the holy and glorious inheritors of the universe? I spit on your so-called holiness. You dare judge us unfit? After I have personally sent more than three hundred of your vainglorious ships to hell? After kicking your collective butts off Harvest - not once - but twice? From where I sit, we are the worthy inheritors. You think otherwise, you can come and try to prove me wrong.”
- Admiral Preston J. Cole
99% of the time my accuracy is 100%

Adventwolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile

"You claim to be the holy and glorious inheritors of the universe? I spit on your so-called holiness. You dare judge us unfit? After I have personally sent more than three hundred of your vainglorious ships to hell? After kicking your collective butts off Harvest - not once - but twice? From where I sit, we are the worthy inheritors. You think otherwise, you can come and try to prove me wrong.”
- Admiral Preston J. Cole

And Cole had no idea just how right his antagonistic call out was, and how he had just transmitted the reason for the war.

CaptainOrion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm gonna begin making some lore to expand upon the UNSC for this mod, while I have no capability of implementing anything I believe making some optional lore would be best, any ideas or suggestions are welcome and I'll compile it into a docs and post the link here when done

Jack Ardan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm gonna begin making some lore to expand upon the UNSC for this mod, while I have no capability of implementing anything I believe making some optional lore would be best, any ideas or suggestions are welcome and I'll compile it into a docs and post the link here when done
yeah we need to fix the UNSC infinity Plot hole

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Perhaps the Infinity arrived after running a slipspace test while adapting and adjusting her Forerunner engines or something along those lines?

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Perhaps the Infinity arrived after running a slipspace test while adapting and adjusting her Forerunner engines or something along those lines?
I was thinking of something along those lines but didnt feel like suggesting it myself since the wording I came up with sounded like a bad isekai anime plot, though I would say it would probably fit better with Halo lore(IIRC) for it to be a ship based on the Infinity's design rather than the Infinity itself.

CaptainOrion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I was thinking of something along those lines but didnt feel like suggesting it myself since the wording I came up with sounded like a bad isekai anime plot, though I would say it would probably fit better with Halo lore(IIRC) for it to be a ship based on the Infinity's design rather than the Infinity itself.

I actually have a solution, its not the infinity, it would be a infinity class ship called the immortal, who's to say UNSC from another reality didn't end up here? Though we can workshop this if needed

Adventwolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile

For the Infinity keep it a mystery. Fully corrupted data logs, excessive damage, and clear malfunctioning slipspace drive. There is only one to be found and the mystery of how and when it got there is the hook.

They can get it working but they can never get a full answer only speculation and theories.

The first few things the UNSC would have done after stabilizing on New Harvest is sent up a flash clone facility and some sort of terraforming infrastructure.

There should be expansion on the interaction between the Hegemony and UNSC that led to the issues they have at the start. As well as how long they have been in the Sector.

CaptainOrion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

For the Infinity keep it a mystery. Fully corrupted data logs, excessive damage, and clear malfunctioning slipspace drive. There is only one to be found and the mystery of how and when it got there is the hook.

They can get it working but they can never get a full answer only speculation and theories.

The first few things the UNSC would have done after stabilizing on New Harvest is sent up a flash clone facility and some sort of terraforming infrastructure.

There should be expansion on the interaction between the Hegemony and UNSC that led to the issues they have at the start. As well as how long they have been in the Sector.
I say a few months, to long and the UNSC builds up modern fleets that can wipe anything, to short and their to weak to be interesting. I have a few Ideas and it brings in the iron shell to assist with that, and of course, they know the name "The Immortal" but nothing else except the ship was for unknown reasons scuttled, except the charges never blew and the ship drifted endlessly waiting for a new crew.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I say a few months, to long and the UNSC builds up modern fleets that can wipe anything, to short and their to weak to be interesting. I have a few Ideas and it brings in the iron shell to assist with that, and of course, they know the name "The Immortal" but nothing else except the ship was for unknown reasons scuttled, except the charges never blew and the ship drifted endlessly waiting for a new crew.
With how incredibly weak the MAC of the Paris class feels in the mod I dont see how they could wipe the Ludic path or church, let alone the more advanced factions.

Jack Ardan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

With how incredibly weak the MAC of the Paris class feels in the mod I dont see how they could wipe the Ludic path or church, let alone the more advanced factions.
Well the mac is a Opportunity weapon or a make an Opportunity weapon, also they are used to execute ships that are overloaded and they are designed to be used in masses (in starsector)
I FEAR Macs

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Well the mac is a Opportunity weapon or a make an Opportunity weapon, also they are used to execute ships that are overloaded and they are designed to be used in masses (in starsector)
I FEAR Macs
Even with 12 Paris class ships they dont do much in my experience which is why I tend to modify my installs of this mod by giving them more range and damage, the Paris also just feels like it doesnt have enough OP for the number of weapon slots it has to be honest. What am I going to do, tickle the enemy to death with missiles that almost always get taken out by point defense and light weapons I can't even afford to buff because of how few op the Paris has? Pray to some kind of god that the RNG of the game doesnt result in most of my fleet's MAC shots missing the enemy and doing no damage?

Adventwolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile

A few months is nowhere near enough for the UNSC to do anything. They are a battlegroup with a single colony fleet. Cut off from any support building on pretty *** world from scratch. Considering the planet is still a Frozen one  their original target wouldn't have required much if any terraforming so they didn't bring much of the equipment with them.

It also isn't enough time to build or repair anything. Unlike the rest of the factions the UNSC didn't have access to nanoforge technology to build their equipment. They built it the old fashioned way by hand. The mainstay of the fleet is makeshift shield equipped pre-war ships. Even in the Halo universe the post war ships rarely had shields or all the upgrades because of limited production ability.

It would take years for the UNSC to even stabilize. Throw in the isolation from no one helping them because they use AI beyond the restrictions of the Domain.

As for the Infinity. The name Immortal is bad but not any worse than the actual names used (Infinity, Eternity) but that should be scrubbed as well. Don't make it a failed scuttling job because that has to imply that the crew are around somewhere in the Sector. The Infinity is a strong ship but it can be overwhelmed so it being damaged in fights to the point a escape into slipspace caused this version to show up in the Sector makes sense and leaves it vague enough to work with any future lore.

Characters and Officers in game should be telling their stories. There also should be a core fleet flying around the system like what the Iron Shell and Mayasuran Navy has.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16