Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which version's skill system do you like more

- 109 (52.2%)
- 100 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: June 02, 2021, 10:12:39 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Simple poll: Do you like the old skill system or new skill system more  (Read 10956 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

No funny business, no confusing wall of options, just choose one from the two.
You can leave a comment to describe why or why not you like/dislike one over the other but I think it has been discussed too much/all over the place.
I am here for a simple result.

Sorry for anyone that has only played one version but not the other, this poll is not for you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:14:20 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile

Thing is, the old system had it's issues, but the new one didn't fix them. It added a brand new system, with it's own issues. Some of the new skills are actually interesting, but overall, it's even more limiting.....

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

(It's 0.95, only one dot)
Despite not liking 0.95 skill system that much at the moment, I'm going to pick it anyway. Why? Because even now there's more than a single skill set, because it's optimal for everything...

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Way less build option. Forcing generalization vs "extremely limited specialization", fighters vs better skills in both cases as an example.

Strange DP specialization limiters on skills making them useless if you actually specialize,

- suddenly having a drone tender is making you fighter specialization weaker
- suddenly having militarization on support crafts for increased speed is making auxiliary support weaker

This is a SP sandbox game, I don't understand why I can't have all logistics skills if I want or why combat players can't do the same. If you want tons of fighters, the fighter specialization skills are not for you... Counter intuitive much?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

What about a "I prefer the new skills but hate the 'loop around' layout" option?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The new one only because it has respec while the old one did not.  If the old one had respec, I would prefer the old one... unless I want to pilot a phase ship.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:36:05 AM by Megas »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm not a fan of being married to single ship (or a handful of ships). In 0.91 you could have a reasonable all-around build and switch ships mid-combat as needed, all while retaining all the really important fleet-wides.

What about a "I prefer the new skills but hate the 'loop around' layout" option?

Would vote that if offered. Some new skills are interesting, but loop structure is not.

The new one only because it has respec while the old one did not.  If the old one had respec, I would prefer the old one.

Old one didn't need respec nearly as much though, since it didn't marry you to a single ship.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Old one didn't need respec nearly as much though, since it didn't marry you to a single ship.
It effectively did if player took carrier skills.  Player was locked to Drover, Mora, Heron, and Astral if he took pilot-only carrier skills.

But the worst one is taking non-combat (colony) skills that become obsolete after player plays long enough.  Player can sink nine to twelve skills into colonies, and that still does not touch other non-combat skills like salvaging.

Vextor

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm not the "old good, new bad" type of guy, far from it. But I just find the new skill system has too many limitations, especially the permanent picks, even though it was meant to be a dynamic skill tree, at least from my own perspective.
Also, IMO, regardless of where the skill is located, it should be useful from the start of the game and until to the end of the game (looking at you, Industry 1). Also the point defense skill is really kind of meh; these skills just feel like a filler.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

While the current implementation in 0.95a needs a lot more work, it at least has the potential to provide more fundamental gameplay changing effects.  A tiered system allows for things like Automated Ships, a far more interesting skill than say, any given tier 3 in the combat tree of 0.9.1a.  Ideally, I'd like all the tier 5 skills to be of that order of power and game changing nature.  Limited to 3 out of 8 truly run defining abilities sounds good and at least possible given Starsector's game space.  It's much harder to do something like that when it's 17 out of 31 "run defining abilities", given I don't think we can come up with 31 such things.  At which point, you get things like +25% damage to missiles, +15% damage generally, and +10% ordinance points.  These can only become run defining by stacking to become bigger numbers, which tends to be less interesting.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile

I like both, but if you force me to choose, i ll take the last one.
Spoiler
[close]

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Don't like being forced to pick a not-too-great skill just to get to one I really want.

Don't like stat boosts from skills that get smaller as my fleet grows. Understand why it was done but seems silly. Just make the stat boost small and fixed.

Skills that provide a new ability or feature are the best. Hope to see more of these.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile

This.  0.95 brought a lot of conceptually interesting skills (and a few outright broken ones), but I'm not terribly fond of either the wrap-around layout or most of the DP Theshold limitations.

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I like the new one because of the respec option. On the last patch I had to start over 3 times I think because I wasted 1 skill point. Restartaritis is real folks. On the complaints about the new skill set, I can live with all of it. What I can't live wihtout is the new field repairs.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I like the new one because of the respec option. On the last patch I had to start over 3 times I think because I wasted 1 skill point. Restartaritis is real folks. On the complaints about the new skill set, I can live with all of it. What I can't live wihtout is the new field repairs.
I think this patch is no better due to three specific skills are not re-spec-able.
Worse of all they’re either tier 4 or 5, which means 4 or 5 dead skill points- that’s a third of your god power. Not mention if you take both leadership dead skills, you’re permanent locked 9 skills in there. Not fun.
Previous patch you can just get console command and respec - my only usage of console command. Is it cheating? Depends on context, but since it’s introduced officially in .95 I consider it not.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8