Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The skillsystem is too flexible and the game difficulty suffers  (Read 1406 times)

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Of course the game cannot have a challenging curve if everyone can do everything perfectly fine all the time regardless of their skill choices.

My colonies are hugely profitable, because no matter what I skill I can slap full AI cores on them from the start, since they are easy enough to come by. While I am doing that I am perfectly capable of exploring to the deepest edge of the universe with an actual capital fleet. Of course raiding half the core worlds that basically have non existant defenses I can do aswell.

We are already allowed to respec, so it should matter more what you are actually skilled in.

My fleet doesn't care if I am combat oriented or not, because my officers certainly are and they come in droves aswell.

I overspent a little? Oh let me just quickly queue up a couple of 2-300k bounties that are always readily awaiting for me to go there and slap them and for my convenience they are also straight up next to the coreworlds anyhow.

Put more of the basic functions behind skills to begin with.

AI core useage - technology
Availablity of 100k+ bounties either reduced or they are much deeper in space.
More than 2 officers? Leadership
Colony upgrades? Industrial

Stop being so gentle to the players, because it makes the skillchoices basically uninteresting.

It might also be worth a consideration to unlock some aspects only if you have e.g. both skill sides unlocked. For example AI core useage could be 5 in technology, but if I also want to get the redacted ships, then I need 10 points in technology and thus making sure, that I am struggling somewhere instead of how it currently is where 15 levels equal 3 of 4 trees like common.

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
Re: The skillsystem is too flexible and the game difficulty suffers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:58:41 AM »

At this point, we just need Campaign level difficulty sliders. You can't make everyone happy so why not let them adjust their experience it's a sandbox anyhow.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:22 AM »

At this point, we just need Campaign level difficulty sliders. You can't make everyone happy so why not let them adjust their experience it's a sandbox anyhow.

I might be off on this but feel free to show me a game where the sliders affect skilltrees in any meaningful way.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »

I might be off on this but feel free to show me a game where the sliders affect skilltrees in any meaningful way.

There are many games that do this by means of global modifiers simply using these will affect skill trees but if you're looking for Starablo 2 skill trees that might have to be a mod or a community discussion which is already happening as some stick with the skill system from 0.91a.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »

Perhaps the game would be better of with no special bonuses whatsoever simply a means of whoever has the better wits or better guns, I'm a clear advocate to Kenshi's game direction in this regard. The player is not special.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »

Perhaps the game would be better of with no special bonuses whatsoever simply a means of whoever has the better wits or better guns, I'm a clear advocate to Kenshi's game direction in this regard. The player is not special.

I feel that would go too far, but it also has a charm. I would just really like to see skills as underliners for playthroughs. This run I will do colonies, this time i will do bounties, this time I do this or that, but you are never restricted in any way so every playthrough you end up doing everything

Games like this have part of their charm in optimizing, but we have not much incentive to do so, although the things are there.

If you can't do AI cores, then your financing will be different for colonies.

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »

Make a mod for that if you like, for now, roleplay it, don't cheese, etc. Not so long ago people here cried about how hard the game become, we simply need a mod(hard mod).

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »

Make a mod for that if you like, for now, roleplay it, don't cheese, etc. Not so long ago people here cried about how hard the game become, we simply need a mod(hard mod).

Last patch was like 2 years? ago and that was just as easy so maybe we have a different definition of not long ago  ;D

squished_fish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »

Last patch was like 2 years? ago and that was just as easy so maybe we have a different definition of not long ago  ;D
The last patch was like a week ago.

J3R

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »

Then don't use skillpoints in your playthroughs? The obsession with forcing your own difficulty preferences on other players in the forums is getting overboard. It's a single player game with choices that can change the difficulty. The biggest thing that makes this game easy is commissions, but I don't think they should be changed or removed necessarily, but you can tailor your story and gameplay by not accepting a commission.

The skill system is fine and works when you focus on a roleplaying aspects or something you need in the moment rather than min maxing stats/damage. The player character will always be OP and stand out in comparison to AI enemies, skills or not.

v4l0rus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 01:13:13 AM »

Then don't use skillpoints in your playthroughs? The obsession with forcing your own difficulty preferences on other players in the forums is getting overboard. It's a single player game with choices that can change the difficulty. The biggest thing that makes this game easy is commissions, but I don't think they should be changed or removed necessarily, but you can tailor your story and gameplay by not accepting a commission.

The skill system is fine and works when you focus on a roleplaying aspects or something you need in the moment rather than min maxing stats/damage. The player character will always be OP and stand out in comparison to AI enemies, skills or not.

I think what he meant is that skills shouldn't exist at all in the game. The player not picking skills doesn't stop the AI from doing so