Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Optional tank controls in combat  (Read 1021 times)

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Optional tank controls in combat
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »

I started playing recently and put a few hundred hours in, but I haven't been able to get used to how the game handles ship controls.  It has correct tank controls when moving forward, but incorrect tank controls when going backwards.  I've never played another game that does this, and it really throws off my muscle memory.

I'd like for there to be an option to use tank controls in the Settings.  When going backwards, left and right should be swapped.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:03:23 AM by chandl34 »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Optional tank controls in combat
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »

Nice. I can see that. But how does a tank strafe a locked target?

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »

I think strafing would be the same.  It would be comparable to 3D behind-the-back movement controls, or some 2D games like the original GTA.

The issue I usually run into looks like this:
- An enemy is approaching quickly on my left flank
- I hold back and right, expecting to back away and face my guns at them
- What actually happens is I back into them, with my engines exposed

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 04:11:53 PM by chandl34 »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 04:17:58 PM »

You already have all the keybinds. They just aren't assigned terribly conveniently by default.

I reassigned like this:
ws - forward/backward
ad - strafe
qe - rotation

Good for controlling Conquest and Odyssey. Smaller broadside ships (in mods) are practically unusable.

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »

You already have all the keybinds. They just aren't assigned terribly conveniently by default.

I reassigned like this:
ws - forward/backward
ad - strafe
qe - rotation

Good for controlling Conquest and Odyssey. Smaller broadside ships (in mods) are practically unusable.

No, what I mean is that the rotation controls are not proper tank controls.  For tank controls, moving forward while turning right moves you clockwise.  Moving backwards while turning right moves you counterclockwise.  In this game, both are clockwise, so you end up moving in a figure-8.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »

I don't think tank controls quite make sense in this game you can be decelerating but still moving forward or accelerating forward while your velocity is backward or sideways.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »

No, what I mean is that the rotation controls are not proper tank controls.  For tank controls, moving forward while turning right moves you clockwise.  Moving backwards while turning right moves you counterclockwise.  In this game, both are clockwise, so you end up moving in a figure-8.

I think the issue you are facing is that you are not wanting tank controls, but car controls.
Driving a car using WASD in a game: You are holding D. Your car will go forwards and to the right when you push W, and backwards and to the right when you push S, which is what you want.
A car handles like this, because you are adjusting the wheels when you "turn" with A/D, but this is not how spaceships work, with a spaceship you are actively turning the ship itself with A/D, and this has no influence on the thrust that is used to go forwards/backwards.

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 05:30:50 PM »

I think the issue you are facing is that you are not wanting tank controls, but car controls.
Driving a car using WASD in a game: You are holding D. Your car will go forwards and to the right when you push W, and backwards and to the right when you push S, which is what you want.
A car handles like this, because you are adjusting the wheels when you "turn" with A/D, but this is not how spaceships work, with a spaceship you are actively turning the ship itself with A/D, and this has no influence on the thrust that is used to go forwards/backwards.
You are right.  I mean car controls.  I understand it may not be how a spaceship works, but it is how I instinctively try to control my ships. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:51:20 PM by chandl34 »

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 08:05:16 AM »

I consider it like allowing inverted camera controls in 3D games.  It feels more natural to me.  In this case, it would be inverting left and right while the ship has backwards velocity.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 09:35:41 AM »

but its a spaceship, not a tank.
with thrusters where would be no revesing thrust direction with reversed forward/backward thrust.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »

Yeah there would be some really weird behaviors because the direction your ship is moving and the direction it is facing are not the same (while they are in a car/tank). For instance, if you accelerate forward and then start turning in place, your controls would invert when you turned 90 degrees because your velocity would now be backwards relative to your ship heading. Having controls invert in the middle of maneuvers without explicit player input just seems like a terrible idea. I don't think it would feel the same as conventional tank controls.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »

but its a spaceship, not a tank.
but a spaceship is in space... which has z-axis, not just x or y...  ::)  :o