Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fury & Champion loadout discussion  (Read 12722 times)

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fury & Champion loadout discussion
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:13 PM »

Hey guys,
how are you building those?

They both look like extremely strong ships in comparison to the rest, but I wonder how others build them?

I haven't managed a close combat champion yet that inspires me with its performance compared to just lasering it up. Many attempts of getting the High scatter amplifier working on the champion but to no avail (at least for AI).

At the same time they seem very quirky compared to other ships. If I don't use shield conversion front on the fury it seems like it is too scared to ever properly engage unless I put a reckless captain in (which is too deep).

The shieldstrength on both of them is nuts aswell. They both easily compete with omen and shrikes alike.

lilFishy44

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Fury & Champion loadout discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »

My build, which is maybe obsolete now due to SO nerf is this:
Converted hangar, Shield conversion front, Hardened shields and subsystems, and Safety overrides.
Weapons: Sabot SRM pod, 2 heavy blasters on the medium right side slots, and 1 Antimatter blaster on the front left small slot.
As many points into capacitors as you can.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »

Forget High Scatter Amplifier on basically anything, it's a trap hullmod.

For Furies, 1 HB + 2 Sabot Pods, with EMR & ITU hullmods at minimum, is my default build for them.  I also often add Ion Cannons to the frontal smalls for EMP support.

For Champions, 1 TL (or HIL) + 2 HVDs w/ ITU is my default.  If you're looking for a closer-ranged build, Plasma Cannon + midrange kinetics (ex: Heavy Needler) is the go-to option.  Forget HSA beam builds entirely, they just don't measure up.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »

Forget High Scatter Amplifier on basically anything, it's a trap hullmod.

For Furies, 1 HB + 2 Sabot Pods, with EMR & ITU hullmods at minimum, is my default build for them.  I also often add Ion Cannons to the frontal smalls for EMP support.

For Champions, 1 TL (or HIL) + 2 HVDs w/ ITU is my default.  If you're looking for a closer-ranged build, Plasma Cannon + midrange kinetics (ex: Heavy Needler) is the go-to option.  Forget HSA beam builds entirely, they just don't measure up.

I always keep an eye open for Scatter with Gravitons but half range might simply be too much for it to be worth it. Maybe if I could get 4 forward facing medium energy slots on a faster ship. Maybe.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »

Fury loadout: 1 Pulse Laser, 1 Ion Pulser, 1 Sabot Pod, 1 Anti-matter Blaster, 4 PD Lasers. Integrated hullmods: Hardened Shields and ITU. Other hullmods: Shield Conversion - Front, Solar Shielding. 30 vents, 15 caps. Works pretty good for me. I think I could swap the pulse laser for a heavy blaster, though.

RemnantAI

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:50:41 PM »

Converted hangar, Shield conversion front, Hardened shields and subsystems, and Safety overrides.
Weapons: Sabot SRM pod, 2 heavy blasters on the medium right side slots, and 1 Antimatter blaster on the front left small slot.

How was SO nerfed?

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »

Fury loadout: 1 Pulse Laser, 1 Ion Pulser, 1 Sabot Pod, 1 Anti-matter Blaster, 4 PD Lasers. Integrated hullmods: Hardened Shields and ITU. Other hullmods: Shield Conversion - Front, Solar Shielding. 30 vents, 15 caps. Works pretty good for me. I think I could swap the pulse laser for a heavy blaster, though.

Yeah pretty much the one I run (with heavy blaster) (and no PDs since I am out of story points SNIFF)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 01:03:28 PM »

For my current Fury, I use Ion Pulser on the nose, Heavy Blaster behind it on the right, three or so burst PD, and some missile in the hardpoint.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »

So, couple of things you can do. But what i think is probably best is to fit it with a non SO build. Its undergunned for SO and so cannot easily utilize all its flux regardless of whether or not you're going to install it there. At least an Aurora can put 3 HB on itself when SO. But 2 HB is only 1440 flux when you've got up to 1800 dissipation on the SO Fury.

Plus its mobility system gets less useful. In general its role is going to be to kill frigates with more or less impunity. And so you can do a lot of things with regards to overfluxing without having as much risk

Budget: 120
ITU: 15
Hardened Shields: 18
Vents: 30
Remaining: 57
Built in Budget: (ITU and Hardened Shields are best despite not being the highest OP options because, so long as you're not SO you're always going to want both): 90

Options:
2x Heavy Blaster
1x Sabot Pod
2x PD Laser (rear)
Resistant Flux Conduits
10 Caps

This one is pretty simple. You fly it yourself or send it wide. Its got a flux usage of 1620 (net: 720) with a budget of 11,000. So the purpose is just to flatten destroyers and frigates and then vent. PD to protect it from salamanders. You can drop a HB for a pulse laser to drop its flux to 1200 (Net: 300).

Option 2:
2x Pulse Laser
1x IR pulse
1x Sabot Pod
2x PD Laser
14 caps

This is almost flux neutral and should also crush frigates. I doesn't have the oomph to help after a fight is over but it is less likely to do something dumb and get itself in trouble.

Option 3:
2 Sabot Pods
1 HB
2 PD laser
19 caps

Net Flux here is 0. 180 shield + 720 weapon = 900. Perfect! It won't kill frigates as well as the other two because it has less direct fire damage and its unlikely to use its sabots to do that. But its going to be perfectly capable of it. This is probably the most well rounded of the fits even if it seems a bit under gunned.

Note: Caps can always be traded for Ion Cannons if you want a bit more fighter protection.

Something that i haven't tried yet but kind of want to is a hybrid support/harass ship

1x HB
1x Ion Beam (depends on the number of Ion Beams in your fleet, if you have a lot you can sub a graviton)
1x Missile of Choice (sabot or Typhoon)
2x PD laser
19 Free Caps

The Ion beam means that ship with high flux really cannot back away. And it gives it something to hit enemy capitals with once the small ships are cleaned up since that is 1600 range shield piercing ion damage.

The ship also gets a lot of value out of Unstable Injector, Expanded Missile Racks (in option 3), and IR pulse lasers/ion cannons on the back side so these are good options to add when building in ship systems. Plus more caps as always. The more caps you add the better the 2x HB option becomes so if you build in ITU and Hardened Shields you can pretty easily slam them caps on option number 1 and get a really mean hunter/killer (with or without unstable injector)

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »

this is what i use:

champion:

plasma cannon
cyclone reaper torps
two heavy needlers
4 ir pulse laser (all front)

hardened shields (s-mod)
integrated targeting unit (smod)
stabilized shields

20 cap, 30 vents

fury:

2 heavy blaster
2 antimatter blaster

hardened shields (s-mod)
hardened subsystems (s-mod)
safety overrides
shield conversion - front

0 cap 23 vents

probably possible to come up with more effective fits, but so far they work quite well for me.
rip s-mod safety overrides. so plasma cannon champion was a beast.

the fury i use as player ship, most of my fleets are champoins and so medusas

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:39:27 PM by Rauschkind »

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »

How was SO nerfed?

I think he's referring to the fact you can no longer use s-mods to make safety overrides free in terms of OP.  The base hull mod number was unchanged.  The stated build in RC15 would have 30 fewer OP points available than one back in RC12 assuming you were using 3 s-mods already.  45 OP is a fair chunk out of a Fury's base 120.  Assuming tech level 5, 3 s-mods would be converted hangar, hardened shields and hardend subsystems.  55 OP on Safety overrides and shield conversion, 46 on weapons (3 of which for talons?), leaving 19 for spare vents, for a total flux dissipation of 1580.  RC12 would have made that 40 vents (2000 dissipation) and 9 capacitors. Or maybe better fighters.

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 10:12:25 PM »

Flux-balanced fury:
1 heavy blaster and 1 pulse laser, 4 burst pd lasers;
built-in: heavy armor, hardened shields, hardened subsystems;
front shield conversion, 40 vents;
steady officer's skills: cr and recovery, speed, range, shields, energy mastery, point defense; energy mastery and point defense are elite.
It's pretty good at flux wars and armor penetration, still being very mobile.

Alliostra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:05 AM »

Strike fury to exploit weaknesses: 1x Heavy Blaster/Ion Pulser, 2x AM Blaster, 2 Reaper Launchers. ITU or expanded missile racks depending on how funky you feel. All sales final.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »

I find a couple of heavy blasters and some light PD is sufficient to give Fury class ships serious killing power.  Give them SO and they turn into frigate killers; they're great for sending out to objectives and pimpslapping any flankers that come after them.  Emphasize their shields with front conversion and hardened, build in a couple expensive hullmods and they'll really go the distance.  Just...don't leave them out after CR decay begins.