Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Planetary expansion  (Read 416 times)

Crimson Spirit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Planetary expansion
« on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »

If there was one thing I think is missing in SS is an expansion on planetary gameplay, I'm thinking a whole RTS element of base building, manufacturing assets and weapons and training armies, but I think that's a long stretch, so instead maybe have a different approach on how planetary combat works, one where planet combat would look more like the space combat side when defending/offending in real time, ofcourse spreadsheets and text reading has its own merits, but imagine docking to a spaceport or landing a space freighter onto selected planet to explore/unload metals for construction purposes, or putting those marines and heavy armaments to good use in a battlefield, for balance sake say every 10 marines or 20 will equal 1 unit on the battlefield of a player-selected class (sniper, heavy soldier, medic, light scout etc.), or every 5 heavy armaments = one mecha or a hovercraft/boat etc.

Ofocurse it will be challenging considering how many different types of units will need to be introduced and how they will come with their own set of unique technical challenges or planetary debuffs like in hot planets, cold planets etc, heck even a proper background for said planets that reflects the star system they're in (pulsar systems) from an artistical view, but it adds a whole new depth level that isn't even mandatory if some don't want to do it and prefer to "spreadsheet it" like the current system does it, which is also fine

It's a huge step but in my mind this is all that's missing from a near perfect game

I'd love to know your thoughts on why if that isn't a good idea in your opinion and/or how to improve on it
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:44:46 AM by Crimson Spirit »