Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The enemy AI is an awful cheating mess and need rebalancing.  (Read 14273 times)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The enemy AI is an awful cheating mess and need rebalancing.
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »

Nobody in their right mind would ever put an Atlas on the field unless they were pursued. If it enters the field- it is dead, it's too slow to run away.

I put four at the same time. No they were fine. And I won.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:24 AM »

Are you talking about a modified Pirate Atlas, or the regular transport Atlas? Because there is no way to save 4 Atlas(tr) if you are being pursued, unless you are chased by very few enemies, and you manage to destoy them all before they explode your transports.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 05:59:20 AM »

Regular transport Atlas.

Enemies were too busy being blown up.

Razor Feather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »

Are you talking about a modified Pirate Atlas, or the regular transport Atlas? Because there is no way to save 4 Atlas(tr) if you are being pursued, unless you are chased by very few enemies, and you manage to destoy them all before they explode your transports.

Sounds like it wasn't a "Atlas is being deployed because I am being pursued" situation but a "Atlas is being deployed because its a low dp cost ship that gives capital level ecm and nav boosts". Basically getting 20% nav and ecm for 40 dp, from ships you already have in the fleet for logistics benefits. Its definitely a niche strategy, but I can certainly see it being worthwhile at times.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 02:58:29 PM »

Sounds like it wasn't a "Atlas is being deployed because I am being pursued" situation but a "Atlas is being deployed because its a low dp cost ship that gives capital level ecm and nav boosts". Basically getting 20% nav and ecm for 40 dp, from ships you already have in the fleet for logistics benefits. Its definitely a niche strategy, but I can certainly see it being worthwhile at times.

Plus that timid officer who happened to get into fleet due to misclick.

Whitey_f242

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »

the AI is commanding folks like the player
the AI cheating comes from the disproportionate amount of both force and deployment points they automatically get in lategame encounters

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »

Could you expand on why that's cheating? As far as artificial difficulty to make AI keep up with the player, "more" is the industry standard for going on 30 years now. Fighting games comes to mind as a counter-example because they can have AI that is really tightly written and there don't need to be numerical bonuses to challenge all but the top players, but thats the only exception I've been able to think of (I'm sure there are more, just none are coming to mind while a lot of examples of the "more" case do).

For Starsector, the combat AI is pretty good and has occasional moments that it shines (and moments where it fails), but is a lot worse than a good player for both piloting and command. The player also makes much better loadouts, and has advance knowledge of the types of enemies they are fighting so can tailor their ships to the threat. If the goal is for some fights to be hard, then numbers or unique weapons/ships are the way to go: this patch we got both for different fights.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »

I think as we get better, we notice the AIs' mistakes more.

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2021, 04:49:27 PM »

If the ai feels  unbalanced it gives you room to change a few things to even the power out. put your levels higher, make max level for your officers a bit higher, put in some neat mod ships, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]