Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: champion is it a little too good???  (Read 8945 times)

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
champion is it a little too good???
« on: April 21, 2021, 01:56:23 AM »

champion has high armor, decent shield, decent flux dissipation, decent mobility,
AND very good special, both large missile and energy that has good placement, and two hybrid medium.

kinda feel like a Dominator with out Dominator draw backs

Lorebot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: champion is it a little too good???
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:01:54 AM »

Champion's biggest issue is its limited shield arc and its relatively low passive flux venting rate compared to the amount of weapons you can cram on it. It's SUPER easy to over flux it and make it fairly useless in combat.

It can 1v1 most of the other capitals in the game, but the moment you surround it and attack from multiple sides it can get wrecked fairly easily.

edit: whoops, was thinking of the Conquest...I've never actually used the Champion so I can't comment on that :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:06:09 AM by Lorebot »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:28:31 AM »

It has exactly same drawback as Dominator - easy to corner and kill for fast capitals. Both Odyssey and Conquest are stronger and faster, once you take mobility system into account. Burn Driving Onslaught can corner it just as well.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:05:53 AM »

Fat slow (spd 60) meat chunk for a 25 DP that's 3 frigates worth of dp. Impressive shield flux 0.8, i felt it must have a shield flux like sunder. It's a support type of ship, I can't imagine it to be in close combat. Need more posts about champion to make a decision is it bad or good. I need to see BSO variants of it also. I can say for now, i'd trade it's large rocket slot for a 2 medium ones for sure.
You compare it to dominator, it's really very similar to it.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:37 AM »

IMO, Champion is just as good as it must be. I mean: there are some OP ships without drawbacks (mostly high-tech), and there are some fair ships, which have good and bad sides. Champion is one of them.
Spoiler
[close]

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 03:50:24 AM »

Impressive shield flux 0.8, i felt it must have a shield flux like sunder. It's a support type of ship, I can't imagine it to be in close combat
It's tough and slow, I think it's supposed to go into close combat. Might not have the weapons to really pump out the damage in such a situation but it does look designed to be the tank for mid-line fleets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 04:31:23 AM »

It is too sluggish and vulnerable to flanking.  I eventually dropped it from the fleet for better ships.  Not saying Champion is a bad ship, just not overpowered enough (or at least cheap and mobile enough) like some others.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 05:17:43 AM »

Champion is a better Brilliant, which is rather questionable.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 05:52:05 AM »

Just to show further proof how sluggish it is, I've found it always arriving late to fights so it barely had to use its guns. Sure in huge fights it can dish out serious damage but it can also easily die when 2 fast ships come for it, like 2 Hammerheads for example. I think it's perfectly balanced right out of the box. Weapon mounts are ridiculously good, but meh flux stats and OPs prevent it from being too good.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 09:05:26 AM »

I think the Champion is nice. The lack of a mobility system means its not chasing anything down, but 60 is enough to move with the battle line (or, for smaller fleets, anchor it). There are two configurations I found worked well, though I'm sure there are many others: Anti-Small Ship and Brawler.

Anti-Small-Ship uses a Locust, Tachyon Lance, and 2 HVD. Small mounts to taste, but I actually put on 2 IR pulses in addition to light PD for anti-fighter and close in DPS, and they saw decent use. This build is a good sniper one in general (and a good candidate for ranged specialization), and a high energy focus boosted Tachyon burst is capable of popping many frigates in one shot. Locust clears out fighters and frigates and overwhelms the PD of larger ships. Swapping out the Locust for an hMIRV would make this a generalist sniper.

Brawler uses Hammer Barrage, 2 Heavy Needlers, and a Plasma Cannon. OP are tight, but with built ins it can have everything. While this ship's range is low, its DPS is extreme. 500 kinetic, 750+HEF large shot energy, and ~1600 he dps (ammo limited). This build has trouble dealing with kiters: particularly 1000+ range destroyers and frigates. But anything that gets close to it gets chewed up, making it an excellent line holder, and Remnants always charge.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »

I was using 2x Heavy needler, auto pulse, 2x am blaster, and hammer barrage with an agressive officer. It seemed to work quite well, autopulse and HN are really good against smaller ships, while hammers and am blasters give it enough punching power for heavy armor.

I also used 2x HVD + HIL with a cautious officer + ranged specialization and that seemed to work well. It's probably my favorite line cruiser now, although I find myself mostly using capitals for line ships.

pponmypupu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »

I can't imagine it to be in close combat.

RIP SO Champion, look what they've done to my boy, etc

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:18:59 AM by pponmypupu »

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »

when i see the champion with a functional large missile point and then i look at The Gryphon the difference is truly staggering. and please don't compare champion to conquest or odyssey, they are truly different in terms of Dp points and OP points.

amount the ships we can compare it to it is just falcon, and dominator.

and in this aspect i find the champion function alot like the dominator but slightly more mobile with out the special and has a effective shield, which end up providing ALOT more defense.

its fire power while on par with the dominator, it significantly out class the falcon. especially with its special.

but i do like the fact we have a front line cruiser that uses energy weapon i think that was a really good addition.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »

Falcon is a light cruiser that costs 15 DP, unless you meant the eagle?

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 05:40:00 PM »

yeah sorry eagle
Pages: [1] 2