Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colony Candidates in .95a  (Read 2501 times)

chrysalisx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Colony Candidates in .95a
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »

Just starting to colonize worlds and having a lot of trouble figuring out what my best options are for colonization.
I've got one system with 2 habitable worlds close to the core, both 100-125 hazard, one with bountiful farmland (but a trace amount of rare ore, so no boost item) the other with +1 farmland & some ruins, a gas giant with 225. I've got another system with a cryosleeper with one habitable world at 125 with max organics & +1 farmland, as well as some minerals, and several other worlds in system, but no other max resources. Dhuzak has a 225 hazard volcanic world with maxed out both ore types and Penelope's star has a 175% hazard gas giant *without* low gravity, plus some no atmosphere worlds and moderate rare ore. Then across the galaxy there are a few systems with 1-2 planets each in range of a hypershunt. 1 150% habitable world with +3 rare ore and a bunch of random planets. One nebula with a 175% hazard world with +3 rare ore, +2 ore & volitiles, but nothing else in the system, One system with 2 habitable worlds, one with vast ruins & poor farmland, one system with planet with bountiful farmland but -1 rare ore.
I think for the hypershunt to be worth anything I need a non-habitable world with +3 rare ore I can stick the mining upgrade in, correct?

I just don't quite understand how to prioritize? How much do I value having good farmland? How valuable are ruins? The cryosleeper? The hypershunts? I suppose most importantly, especially in the new update with all the changes to how pirates & inspections work, how valuable is it to have most of your colonies in a single system? Frankly I just want to colonize them all & stick alpha cores in them but I'm not quite ready to take on the hegemony

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Candidates in .95a
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »

Ruins don't really yield much, especially if you have blueprints learned from exploration already.
Cryosleeper isn't too useful with population cap at 6.
Hypershunt has a massive transplutonics demand, honestly I don't want to bother with that.
High hazard means ridiculous hazard pay for growth.

You might not find the colony enhancement items in the first place, so don't worry about them when you're beginning to build.

System defense still makes grouping up colonies important.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »

Hypershunt is currently bugged - you can get it online by filling your stockpile with transplutonics (refined, not the ore, so you just need an airless world with a refinery), but I hear that it's a -5 stability penalty when the stockpile runs out? Haven't quite gotten to testing that myself.

Regardless, the hypershunt's bonus is 'just' an extra industry - nice to have, sure, for the extra profit or extra military base - but, imo, not really worth using even if it wasn't bugged - I'd rather be capped at four industries than have to deal with hegemony inspections bleeding story points. (Okay, okay, you do also have the option of hunting down and destroying the inspection fleet with your transponder off, which will only cost a small amount of rep... but requires that you be in the right place at the right time to intercept the thing.)

Cryosleeper's nice, but ultimately optional; getting to max size faster is a nice bonus, but once you're there it doesn't matter.

For me, the must-have things are as follows:
* A low-hazard-rating airless world, ideally with ore & transplutonic ore. Amounts don't matter because of the mining upgrade item. This planet gets mining, refining, and heavy industry - importantly, this means that trade disruptions cannot shut down your heavy industry. (An airless world without both ore types is still good enough, though; with refined metals being sourced locally, you'll actually have the stockpiles on hand if a trade disruption hits your refinery.)
* A Gate in-system. Just super-convenient.

Everything after that is bonus. Ideally I want a gas giant for volatiles, maybe a second airless world for fuel production (or I can just toss that on the main airless world if it's missing mining or if I'm willing to wait for max size), and somewhere that can produce food and somewhere that can produce organics.

Also worth noting that you can interact with stars to get a stable point in systems that didn't have one, so that's no longer a factor in choosing where to colonize. Requires 500 fuel (consumed by the process), 200 machinery and an alpha core (not consumed by the process).
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »

Haven't checked to see if alpha cores can still run colonies but if they can then I'd be looking for a system with more than two planets, hazard rating be damned.  Once those two (or three) administrators are at work you're just sitting on your management bonus unless you have another planet lined up so you may as well get some extra production online.

chrysalisx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »

Ruins don't really yield much, especially if you have blueprints learned from exploration already.
Cryosleeper isn't too useful with population cap at 6.
Hypershunt has a massive transplutonics demand, honestly I don't want to bother with that.
High hazard means ridiculous hazard pay for growth.

You might not find the colony enhancement items in the first place, so don't worry about them when you're beginning to build.

System defense still makes grouping up colonies important.
That's lining up with about what I thought. I guess the question then is do I make my gas mining colony on the +1 world at 200% hazard with high gravity in the same system as the cryosleeper, or the 175% hazard without high gravity in another system? Or likewise, do I take the +3 transplutonic ore at 225 in the same system, or the 175 with volitiles in a lone system near the hypershunt? I've gone back and forth a lot.

As for the items, I've been doing a bunch of exploration and found tons of them. The only things I don't have at this point are orbital fusion lamps, soil nanites, and a pristine nanoforge.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »

yeah, the "failsafes" make the new colony boosters just... useless

"no atmosphere" for synochrons.... is so backasswards for example, because the best place to build a refinery is a GAS GIANT WITH VOLATILE MINING

"hot/extreme hot" for the military item is backasswards... cause you want your military industries on low haz worlds, not extreme hot worlds

same with the heavy industry one

or even worse, the FOOD item.... unusable when the planet has rare ore or volitiles.... which never happens

the items themselves are so rare... that those failsafes just.... dont work conceptually

chrysalisx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »

yeah, the "failsafes" make the new colony boosters just... useless

"no atmosphere" for synochrons.... is so backasswards for example, because the best place to build a refinery is a GAS GIANT WITH VOLATILE MINING

"hot/extreme hot" for the military item is backasswards... cause you want your military industries on low haz worlds, not extreme hot worlds

same with the heavy industry one

or even worse, the FOOD item.... unusable when the planet has rare ore or volitiles.... which never happens

the items themselves are so rare... that those failsafes just.... dont work conceptually
They *can* happen, just rarely. The more I think about it, the more I think that the items are meant to make it so that you can take otherwise crummy worlds in your system that you want to settle for other reason and make them good. Trouble is that it makes it so that really, you're trying to find a system with a bunch of strange hyperspecific criteria.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:52:13 PM »

They *can* happen, just rarely. The more I think about it, the more I think that the items are meant to make it so that you can take otherwise crummy worlds in your system that you want to settle for other reason and make them good. Trouble is that it makes it so that really, you're trying to find a system with a bunch of strange hyperspecific criteria.

the real problem is hazard, and how it is a quite outdated... and pretty bad mechanic, hurting early colonies way too much, and not really doing much for big colonies

and hazard rating has no counter either

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »

Just FYI, producing goods on one colony and shipping it to the other has the same effects as producing it locally, as long as the accessibility of both worlds is high enough and trade fleets don't get destroyed.

Building maintenance, which is multiplied by hazard, can be reduced up to 50% by supplying the needed goods for a colony.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »

For fuel production, I plan to ignore synchrotron because fuel production with it is +6 to Pather interest.  (Synchrotron adds +4 to Pather interest.)  Now that colonies can be improved, I plan to improve fuel production and use an admin with IP so that I have a fuel production that meets demand and only has +2 to Pather interest.

I do not want to deal with Pather cells.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »

Just FYI, producing goods on one colony and shipping it to the other has the same effects as producing it locally, as long as the accessibility of both worlds is high enough and trade fleets don't get destroyed.

Building maintenance, which is multiplied by hazard, can be reduced up to 50% by supplying the needed goods for a colony.

"as long as the trade fleets dont get destroyed"

thats the problem here

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:45:29 PM »

For fuel production, I plan to ignore synchrotron because fuel production with it is +6 to Pather interest.  (Synchrotron adds +4 to Pather interest.)  Now that colonies can be improved, I plan to improve fuel production and use an admin with IP so that I have a fuel production that meets demand and only has +2 to Pather interest.

I do not want to deal with Pather cells.
I think pather interest is bugged or has changed because my syncrotron world definitely does not have a cell despite syncro + refining, and quite a few cores in industries. Only my AI governed worlds have cells, nothing else has triggered it so far.

Also high command on a size 6 world requires 8 fuel, fuel production is 4 base at size 6, so I don't think there's any way to meet demand without cores or items.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »

It would be nice if it takes more interest to trigger cells.  Last release, they appeared at +7 interest, which meant those with +6 interest industries can only add light industry, military base, and farming to avoid getting the cells.

With items gaining restrictions, finding a good place to colonize has become a pain.  At least if I want to have more than one colony per system to stack defenses.

If High Command requires too many commodities, then... ugh.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 03:02:20 PM »

It's definitely not the same, and probably bugged. It appears that my orbital works with pristine nano-forge and alpha core boosting is not contributing any interest lol.
I have an alpha core governor there and the list of pather interest for the cell is +10 for AI governor and +2 for refining. The high command (with beta core and item), orbital works (with alpha core and nanoforge), star fortress (with beta core), planetary shield and commerce, do not appear to contribute anything.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

It's definitely not the same, and probably bugged. It appears that my orbital works with pristine nano-forge and alpha core boosting is not contributing any interest lol.
I have an alpha core governor there and the list of pather interest for the cell is +10 for AI governor and +2 for refining. The high command (with beta core and item), orbital works (with alpha core and nanoforge), star fortress (with beta core), planetary shield and commerce, do not appear to contribute anything.

is your colony close to the core worlds?

cause i found that the further away your colonies are from the core worlds the longer it takes for ludds and pirates to do anything
Pages: [1] 2