Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So... who actually builds Falcon, Eagle class cruisers?  (Read 13839 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: So... who actually builds Falcon, Eagle class cruisers?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

i would like to point out that the hedgemony only decided to "protect" the colonies that could pay/supply them. to me they sound like the mafia. though when faced with the mafia or some twisted egotistical tri-tacyon faction or a fanatical religious faction.. i am either going to side with the mafia or try and scratch out my own mercenary group.

or a really smart government that realizes that the only ones really worth protecting are the ones that help the hegemony not collapse from inward turmoil(IE: poor planets that mooch off the rest like parasites, thus lowering the overall fighting ability of the hegemony(by diverting ships and personnel to protect/supply them, since they cant do it themselves), then if something goes wrong, like a convoy hit and riots break out, the hegemony either has to deal with it(thus more resources ill spent), or say tough luck and risk more poor planets revolting(potentially way, way more resources ill spent), thus with well off planets they can devote everything to the war effort and survive for another day) or outside aggression.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

lore for Hegemony

Of course, not all colonists were so wicked. Some were able to band together – the Hegemony of today was the result of such an alliance, one of necessity between the military, farmers and workers. About three months after the Collapse, a Domain task force emerged from hyperspace in the sector. It was named Strike Force Pollux, and consisted of elements of the 14th Domain Naval Battle Group. The ships were running on full automation, as it was sent many years ago with the objective of studying the effect of long term cryo-sleep on human beings. Soldiers from the disgraced 200th Legion constituted the bulk of the test subjects. As the officers and crew of the task force were awakened, they quickly recognized the small colonial community was on the brink of collapse.

The task force could not be matched in battle in space or planetside, but they lacked crucial supplies. They sought to annex worlds that needed their protection, and that could also feed the tens of thousands of their soldiers and crew. The farmers of Verdaria II, and the men who maintained the works in an industrial autoworld of Hastaeus Prime were annexed first to secure basic provisions and repair facilities for the fleet. They were followed by the fledgling colony of Itos II, highly sought for the rare resources found there. These three core worlds and the men and women of the Domain task force were the foundation of the Hegemony.

so this is how i take this and i have made bold some of the things I want to reference within it.. first of which is the quality of the military that is the backbone of the Hegemony. the "disgraced" 200th Legion. to me this sounds like an arm of the military that was formed to toss the trouble makers in deemed valuable enough to keep around but not so valuable that you want them influencing the rest of your armed forces.

next they sought to annex worlds so that they could eat. and maintain there fleet. but also note that it does not say they went out of there way to protect anyone else. this fleet from the old empire seemingly turns its back on any colony that can not pay. at least there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. and if your going to say they protected so and so over here and so and so over there. why not list all the rest with them. unless they decided not to.

the way i see it. the disgraced 200th legion saw this as an opportunity to do things there way. not the way of the government that they knew. but the way in which would reward them the most for the least amount of effort. and so became a mafia of sorts. creating there own government. but again going by what is said in the lore. I would imagine that if at any time one of those colonies currently under there protection lost the ability to pay/supply them they would hang them out to dry and move on. which in my book is a flaw so grievous that I cant think of them as a true government body.

Because I cant think of any government currently that would just cut pieces of itself out and give up sovereignty over. Any government I can think of instead works the other way they fight to gain land and then take more land from other governments usually threw war never to give up any land they claimed.

at least thats my 2 cents on how i precieve the Hegemony to work.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »

i love how this thread turned from
Starfarer: who builds the midline cruisers?
to
Starfarer: Politics edition.

only this forum i swear. :D
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »

next they sought to annex worlds so that they could eat. and maintain there fleet. but also note that it does not say they went out of there way to protect anyone else. this fleet from the old empire seemingly turns its back on any colony that can not pay. at least there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. and if your going to say they protected so and so over here and so and so over there. why not list all the rest with them. unless they decided not to.

this lore is concerning the founding of the hegemony, and the lore behind -why- it needed to be formed in the first place and -how- it got off its feet, so of course it really isnt go past either of those and tell of the exploits thereafter, or any minor irrelevancies such as protecting barren world 3902849238490578 from enemy X.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

to

Politics FTW............ ;D

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 12:34:15 PM »

to

it isn't even normal politics we are a bunch of people who play video games( i could say nerds or geeks but i'm sure someone here would be offended) discussing the IN GAME politics of a game universe oh politics.... and for what it's worth i'd probably throw my hat in with either the hegemony or the Independents screw the TT their business model can burn in whatever they pass for hell, also the cult of the lud can go with them.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

to

it isn't even normal politics we are a bunch of people who play video games( i could say nerds or geeks but i'm sure someone here would be offended) discussing the IN GAME politics of a game universe oh politics.... and for what it's worth i'd probably throw my hat in with either the hegemony or the Independents screw the TT their business model can burn in whatever they pass for hell, also the cult of the lud can go with them.

It is normal politics we discuss here, although they aren't about this planet :)

But i'd rather join the independents than go with the TriTachyons.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

i would like to point out that the hedgemony only decided to "protect" the colonies that could pay/supply them. to me they sound like the mafia.

Or most governments. :D They aren't exactly altruistic either.

Welcome to Realpolitik! :D

Anyway, the lore says that they cut a deal with a bunch of farmers, so it doesn't sound like they straight up conquered them, and even if they did, a force of stability is a force for good when literally all of humanity in the Sector is backsliding into technological oblivion.

Also, do you know what we call a political state that overreaches its territorial claims to places that give it no actual benefit these days? Stupid. xD

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »

Doesn't it say something in the Codex about the Eagle being the flagship of choice for a "League of Non-Aligned Worlds" or something similar?  I'd say that answers the question.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »

its their standard cruiser, which really doesnt say much as it also says that it can be found at the core of every military fleet going to fights.
Pages: 1 2 [3]