Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: +1 Burn version of Augmented Drive Field  (Read 2295 times)

Rhalen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: +1 Burn version of Augmented Drive Field
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 05:16:09 AM »

Here is a mod that adds just that, a +1 burn hullmod:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24040.0

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 06:13:19 AM »

It is the civilians with burn 6.  When I wrote capitals, I meant civilians (Atlas and Prometheus) and battleships alike.

I have been through four tugs in previous releases (due to no Navigation in some of those games), and I did not like it, especially if my fleet did not have multiple capitals.  I prefer no tugs at all, but with too many burn 8 ships plus Navigation, I see no way to reach burn 20 without tugs.  Two tugs late in the game are acceptable, but more than that is too many.

The only reason I would take the fuel skill (which I do have) is because I want Field Repairs and colony skills, which I do want at the moment (plus the supply skill in Industry 3 is underwhelming, so more fuel is almost a no-brainer at 3).  If I did not want those, I would stop at Industry 2, if I took Industry at all.
Atlas and Prometheus could get +2 to burn from Bulk Transport now. Venture also benefits much from that early.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 07:18:59 AM »

Atlas and Prometheus could get +2 to burn from Bulk Transport now. Venture also benefits much from that early.
I made that post more than ten months ago, before 0.95.1a, when skill progression was different, and the bonus was +1.  Back then, I took Bulk Transport because the alternative Industry 1 skill that boosted Salvage, was useless when I stumble on a loot bomb and yield much more than my fleet can carry.

Now, I have no room for Bulk Transport.  Bulk Transport is nice, as is Containment Procedures, but I value Field Repairs and Industrial Planning more on my way to Hull Restoration, and I am definitely not giving up the two combat Industry skills (the other reason to use Industry), which are strong for the flagship.

This release does not encourage taking any campaign QoL skills aside from prerequisites to access higher-tier combat/fleet skills.  Player needs the combat power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 05:17:12 AM »

I have finally abandoned Augmented Engines and grabbed the four tugs (instead of sticking with two), and I can thank Ziggurat with Phase Anchor, partly because I only have one in the game and cannot build another.  If I want Augmented Engines, I need to s-mod it in because of the two dock mod limit (I also want Efficiency Overhaul and Solar Shielding), but Phase Anchor puts a strain on the OP budget, and I need s-mods for various other hullmods (like Hardened Subsystems and ITU) Ziggurat needs to be overpowered and worth the 75 DP cost and other downsides.

Yes, four tugs instead of two hurt.  10 more DP toward Field Repairs, and less fleet slots for small ship spam and/or enemy ship recovery.  But it is probably the lesser of the two costs.  40 OP for Augmented Engines is too expensive, and even s-modding it in may be a higher cost than lumping with two extra tugs.

It would be really nice to have a much cheaper +1 burn hullmod that does not alter other attributes that can impact DP pools for skills.
Pages: 1 [2]