Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannot play salvager anymore / Remove story points for salvage  (Read 5095 times)

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi!

I would love to play again a scavanger but I cannot since you must pay more than one time out of two story points. It should be like that for all kind of characters you can play. What is most absurd, you prevent people from scavenging (and these dumb story points for scavenging is lame, they asked me to pay a story point for a lame shuttle!) with those points, but still allow civilians to buy capital ships as well as allow black market  to sell very large ships... where do they hide these from the authorities on the same planet? Cruisers and bigger-sized ship should only be sold by the military to their allies and used by their military staffm black market would only allow you  to get big ships via dangerous missions.

Anyways, story points for scavenging is dumb and completly removes the scavenger career from your game.

For me, story points should only be used in conversations, not job related stuff like that. It prevents players from playing their character. "Story points" should be story-related, not job related. These points should be used to alter missions in one way or the other.

Side suggestion for character upgrades. If you do not want the two unlocks in a line, you can spend a story point to ignore those skill and buy the other after and if those do not interest you either but another one further down the line, you pay another story point, and so on. I do not see them as skills, more like computer upgrades.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot play salvager anymore / Remove story points for salvage
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 11:02:50 AM »

Story points allow you to recover a ship where before the *only* option would have been to break it down for supplies etc. You can normally recover ships at the same rate as before. Basically, it only adds to your ability to recover ships and does not remove from it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »

If anything, story points make ship recovering instead of buying more viable, since you are guaranteed to be able to recover anything you see. Now, if only in combat you could recover everything, too...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »

If anything, story points make ship recovering instead of buying more viable, since you are guaranteed to be able to recover anything you see.
ALMOST everything sadly. I say this because after my first fight with [REDACTED'S REDACTED], one of the ships dropped as a derelict. I quickly saved, specced into Auto ships and tried to salvage it. Sadly Alex was smart enough to block that... >.<
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:33:49 AM »

Using green points to recover ships that would have been just lost previously is a v. good addition.
I don't use it much, but when I have used it I've been really happy I've been able to.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:06:47 AM »

YEP. BIG FAN.

Got me my aurora, FEERSUM ENDJINN that way.

Lost her retreating from a ridiculously large Shoe Chucker fleet when i wasnt paying attention.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »

I am not talking about my own ship. I am talking about ships lying around in space... you know, scavenging.

You cannot do that job anymore due to the SPs.

I do not mind having to use SPs in a dialog with a character so that I get my hands on a ship instead of being paid or getting away with the mission's cargo. That would make sense and it would be a STORY point use. But scavenging being dependant on SP makes it no longer possible to be a scavenger like I played many times.

I hope you understand what I mean. Scavenging was a profession in Starsector, like bounty hunter, mercenary, pirate, etc. if you force people to pay story points to scavenge, then you must force people to spend story points to attack other fleets, sell loot especially smuggled goods, and so on. Because that is basically what you are doing to the scavenger, you are preventing him from being played at all.

Please remove the SPs from scavenging... (not ship recovery, just scavenging unowned ships).

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 05:44:44 PM »

If the option to spend a story point for guaranteed ship recovery was removed, wouldn't that make scavenging more difficult? Valuable ships that were previously a story point away become unsalvageable. If I find a derelict Paragon-class floating around and don't have the option to spend a story point for recovery and it proves unrecoverable, the only thing I can do would be to click 'break down for supplies' and watch the ship be broken apart. Why do you want this to happen?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:47:23 PM by Hatter »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »

@Greywolf2001ca: did you read my reply? To clarify, I'm talking about derelicts found in space, not post-battle salvage. SP recovery has no negative effect on scavenging ships whatsoever, all it is is an extra option that was not previously available.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:49 PM »

I cannot salvage ship more than half the time unless I spend a point, which is absurd. Why do I need to spend a point to get a wrecked ship?

More importantly, why do I need to spend SP to get the wrecked ships in the tutorial?

Salvaging ships to sell or to use should not cost SPs since it prevents you from well scavenging.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:54:34 PM by Greywolf2001ca »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »

@Greywolf2001ca

Prior to 0.95: Most derelicts you ran across would not be recoverable, with salvaging them giving you a small amount of fuel/supplies/metal/machinery and nothing else.

0.95: Previously non-recoverable derelicts can now be recovered with a story point.

The only change that's even arguably not in your favor is that one (1) of the tutorial derelicts has been changed to require a story point to recover. Given that prior to 0.9.5 you would have had no story points anyway, it's questionable if this even counts as a nerf.

Would you rather go back to 0.9.1, where there was a high chance that a derelict capital would not be recoverable at all?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 05:50:20 PM »

Yes I know. But there are so many. Maybe add a skill that increase the chance of salvage?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 11:59:07 PM »

Are you complaining that it is too easy, or too hard? It's easier to me. Now any particularly good ship's hulk isn't a possibility, it's a certainty.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 08:48:25 PM »

Well, the game is too easy period, especially when you get capital ships. Nothing stops you from obliterating all the NPC worlds. That is why I asked many times that the capital ships (military ships of cruisers size and up) be only granted by the military and not sold anywhere (you get points for doing missions for a government and then you can spend those points in the military market that already exists). It is silly to have capital ships lying around... do you see Oprah or Bill Gates with battleships and aircraft carriers today? No and not because they do not have the dough.

Anyways, the best way to deal with this, after thinking about it yesterday, would be to remove entirely the ships that cannot be salvaged at all from the game and put their resources in the debris field where they were spawned. That way, when we see a ship, we know we can salvage it, especially with the salvage skill. All other floating wrecks generated by the world creation process would be salvageable, but a few would only be salvageable (mainly capital ships of cruiser size or larger since they are more complex) if you have the salvage skill (too complicated to salvage) or a story point (for capital ships only, not destroyers or smaller ships, which would represent a lucky break). Destroyers and smaller ships are never worth a story point, not even in pristine condition.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

Regarding the black-market having capital ships, 0.95 removed that ability. It still has cruisers, though.
Black markets no longer sell combat capital ships (can still be acquired from arms dealer contact)
You also talk about "It is silly to have capital ships lying around... do you see Oprah or Bill Gates with battleships and aircraft carriers today? No and not because they do not have the dough." Which is not an apt comparison, the player character kills more people than Oprah and Bill Gates combined in the tutorial. The player character has different priorities than Oprah or Bill gates. A more apt comparison to the player character would be private military companies or, given the state of the sector, a militia unit.

The sector has a greater availability of armaments and capital ships then today, just take a look at how many bounties with a capital ship pop up. Saying 'It's silly to have capital ships lying around' ignores the several capital ships lying around (even disregarding pirate or Pather conversions [Atlas MkII's outnumber stock Atlases at this point]), from autonomous battleships built in the second AI war to a cryo-sleeper drone that could challenge an orbital station. These ships float around space with either minimal support structure like a Nexus or absolutely nothing. There are absolutely capital ships lying around space even before we get into the ability of never-do-wells to hijack ships from a hanger up to and including capital ships. The player can hijack a capital ship with a bar event, even if 90% of the time it's just a hound. Deserters manage to get capitals in their fleets. Luddic path and pirates construct orbital stations and fully operation battlestations. Comparing capital ship availability to modern day ignores just how militarized the sector is and how much the 'only first world countries can afford a capital ship' aspect of Oprah and Bill's time isn't really applicable.

I'm going to repeat myself because you're repeating that story points are 'necessary': Scavenging ships isn't a guaranteed process. A story point allows the recovery of a ship that would otherwise be unrecoverable. You don't need to spend a SP to salvage a ship, you can instead break the ship apart for salvage like in previous updates. I disagree that destroyers and frigates are never worth a story point. They are worth scavenging in early game when logistics are too strained for anything else and easy EXP gain leads to a glut of story points. I enjoy the expanded options given by story-point aided recovery as a way to find a particular ship if I can kill it. Your criticism of story point recovery also ignores that not every use of story point is equally expensive, given bonus XP back. Salvaging a capital by story point gives back far less XP than a frigate.

I disagree with transitioning unsalvageable ships to mere debris field because it removes the unique salvaging events such as cryo-pod lieutenants/crew/marines, which are nice to run across in deep space. I can see the use a of a skill to increase ship salvage chance (0.9.1 had such a skill, but it got removed) but disagree with capital ships being unsalvageable or having the salvage gated behind such a skill. I would like to at least have the option of salvaging one of my newly brought capital ships if it gets blown up. If the skill is only for generated derelicts, those are exceedingly rare and likely to be far from the core worlds already. Capital ships blown up in AI faction fights is just about the only 'easy' source of derelict capitals, and that is only really viable if neither faction involved is hostile to you. 

I'm surprised you find the game too easy. Most people find large [REDACTED] fleets somewhat difficult, and the
Spoiler
Hypershunt Guardians and the Remnant Bounty
[close]
rather more difficult. How did you handle them?
Pages: [1] 2