Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Asteroid mining?  (Read 6640 times)

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Asteroid mining?
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

Would make more use of the mining drones, mining laser and give a option to harvest the asteroids for credits or even use the raw metals and whatnot as supplies for repairs. Just wondering if this would be a planned feature.

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid mining?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »

I like this idea. More interaction with asteroids would be good. Mining asteroid fields, especially in little-known systems, would be a good source of quick cash, and asteroids could be used for other things, like hiding small fleets to ambush the unwary. It would make a fun little space ecology as different ships preyed on each other among the rock and debris.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

Dont forget about having space stations inside of mined out asteroids, would be the best way i think for a player to start a station, using the raw stuff from other asteroid and the mined out one itself, to create a base for themselves, it wouldn't be as good as an orbital station, but it would be a great starting point i think.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »

If the work is automated and you can just pop in and collect credits I think that it would be awesome. If it is anything like the early game of SPAZ where you have to grind for 15 minutes at a time so you can buy your next hull, no thanks.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »

If the work is automated and you can just pop in and collect credits I think that it would be awesome. If it is anything like the early game of SPAZ where you have to grind for 15 minutes at a time so you can buy your next hull, no thanks.

Ugh, that was awful. Often, you'd have to change ships just to pick up more glowing space rocks so you'd be ok for a battle.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »

Would like to see asteroids being mineable. Though if there could be a way to collect money from those asteroids In battle, that would be even more awesome.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »

Ugh, that was awful. Often, you'd have to change ships just to pick up more glowing space rocks so you'd be ok for a battle.
Granted, it wasn't quite as bad after they added in the "A, B, and C" loadout saves so switching between ships wasn't such a pain.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

Well i'd say very very early on you might have to do it by hand, just till your station gets up and running, then all you'd have to do is make sure it has protection and enough mining ships/drones to work and it would do it automatically and you would maybe get short transmissions when a pick up was ready. Yeah you'd have to use money and time to get it up and running, but it would be worth it.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

Would like to see asteroids being mineable. Though if there could be a way to collect money from those asteroids In battle, that would be even more awesome.

I would think so, i mean you would need a ship with a mining laser/mining drones otherwise other types of weapon fire just destroys the useful raw materials that where in those asteroids.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »

I don't really agree. Since when is mining in a combat zone a worthwhile operation? Also, that would encourage dragging out combats and missions to mine every asteroid (kind of like what happened in Homeworld 1; fantastic game but resource scarcity made it very important to mine *everything.*)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »

I don't really agree. Since when is mining in a combat zone a worthwhile operation? Also, that would encourage dragging out combats and missions to mine every asteroid (kind of like what happened in Homeworld 1; fantastic game but resource scarcity made it very important to mine *everything.*)

Agreed. Mining should be out of battle. Preferably without human input.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »

Well, i see your point there, but since when was it better to have those mining drones fight? Their stupid laser deals only 30 DPS, which is bad enough, so i thought that there would have been an alternative to it, like letting them mine a asteroid belt in the vicinity.
I don't say this is a must be, but i only say it could be a nice addon to it.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »

I think instead of money, it would make more sense if mining asteroids allowed for field repairs

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »

In the middle of combat? If you could repair in the middle of combat, why wouldn't you just use your nicely preprocessed 'supplies' first?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »

Because who would want to use "food supplies" to repair ships with? (I'm making this assumption based on when starfarer gets more supplies in, and on the assumption that your spare parts have run out.)
Unless your ships are made out of food?
But i don't get how you would use asteroids to repair ships, i mean, you can only get raw metals from them, not fabricated spare parts.
Unless you have a refinery ship in your fleet.
Pages: [1] 2