Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365802 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.2
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »

Is it even legal in Corvus?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »

Only if you get caught.  ;)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »

Independents follow their own laws... I guess if you bought a Montana you could do what you like with it.

Hehe, Super Giga Robot Nesbitt. 'We can't ride him!' said Serenity 'Oh, we can "ride" him...' said Duke Devlin....
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »

I hear there's this guy on Corinth who can get you a government marriage license for it, but then you'll owe him, and you don't want that.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »

I hear there's this guy on Corinth who can get you a government marriage license for it, but then you'll owe him, and you don't want that.
Or do I?
Duke Devlin.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.19
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

Hi Starlight, I really appreciate the support and am happy you enjoy the mod.  You're welcome to share images of any changes you make, but unfortunately, editing the sprites for re-release is not allowed at this time.  If you're interested in creating a mod compilation or total conversion using the Interstellar Federation faction, PM me with your proposal and I'll send you the IFed mod release guidelines.  I keep a short leash on my work, I hope you understand.

Well, here' the images I made for the modifications:

I understand and respect your viewpoint even if I do not share it - I'm more of a creative commons then a copyright type of a chap myself,  but honestly I'd rather my own mod be my own work anyway.  No sour grapes here.

Indeed, the only thing I'm mildly upset about with you is the fact that you've released a ship called the Albatross one day after I did.  Yours is the well established mod, whilst mine I take less seriously, but now I have to find a new name for my carrier.  *Shakes fist.*

As for a mod compilation, I fear any of my work would only drag yours down at the moment.  Still learning.  z: )
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

Montana-class Utility Cruiser
Dakota love supersized, the Montana has it all; cargo, launch bay, a rustic history, rattling deckplates, a hearty crew and a whole bunch of personality.

Seriously, Keptin, what the hell.  Did you used to work in marketing or production or something?  How do you know so much about what to give people what they want?

I guess you must've taken it from how much everyone loved the Dakota.  But... goddamn, it's beautiful *sniff*  Now, I play the waiting game until UC mod gets updated with it.

By the way Starlight, I don't see terribly much value in mere recolors.  But I think it'd be cool if you kitbashed the ships a bit and gave them a rusty look.  Basically, giving them the Lotus treatment, you know?  If keptin and the author of Lotus are cool with it, anyway.  Lotus and IF loadouts are already pretty similar, except from what I've seen Lotus ships tend to have oversized mounts.  So, messing with the stats and changing around mount types oughta do it.

Creative commons is neat, but... if keptin wasn't the only one making his mod, then we'd have to shower too many people in praise :x

Edit: I forgot to mention.  I've been using the fighters, but I find them a little lackluster.  Drakens seem... on par with talons, ish, and mediocre for anything else.  They certainly lose to bolts, even retreating ones.  I haven't seen Hornets do much, considering how easy a mere two of them are to kill.  I would rather the FP be bumped up to 7 or even 8, and giving it a third ship.  They also seem far more like Support Fighters rather than Assault Fighters.  An HMG and two Sabots will crack shields, and do little else.  Sure, the IF loadouts are all kinetic-oriented, but... efficacy should be present somewhere, at least.

That's just my experience, though.  Perhaps someone else used them to great effect.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:51:08 PM by NikolaiLev »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.19
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

I understand and respect your viewpoint even if I do not share it - I'm more of a creative commons then a copyright type of a chap myself,  but honestly I'd rather my own mod be my own work anyway.  No sour grapes here.

Indeed, the only thing I'm mildly upset about with you is the fact that you've released a ship called the Albatross one day after I did.  Yours is the well established mod, whilst mine I take less seriously, but now I have to find a new name for my carrier.  *Shakes fist.*

As for a mod compilation, I fear any of my work would only drag yours down at the moment.  Still learning.  z: )

My release reqs are more or less a modified CC BY-NC-ND, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/, which i consider pretty lax.  Once upon a time, I used to open my stuff up completely...I don't do that anymore.  I now prefer working in small groups of devoted, experienced and mature modders as they're productive, easy to work with, and quality-focused.

As for the ships names, I choose them on the spot or from a small list I've compiled.  I stumbled across Albatros (one "s") when browsing WWI German biplanes on wiki.  It sounded cool, so I checked the Uomoz comp to see if it was being used, it wasn't, so I used it.  If you like it, you should use it too.

Practice makes perfect, keep working at it!  I had some image editing experience, but I never made a sprite before two months ago.  They're still far from vanilla quality, but I can live with that as I improve.

Seriously, Keptin, what the hell.  Did you used to work in marketing or production or something?  How do you know so much about what to give people what they want?

I guess you must've taken it from how much everyone loved the Dakota.  But... goddamn, it's beautiful *sniff*  Now, I play the waiting game until UC mod gets updated with it.

Ha, glad you like it!  I promise it will make for some interesting battles.

I haven't seen Hornets do much, considering how easy a mere two of them are to kill.  I would rather the FP be bumped up to 7 or even 8, and giving it a third ship.  They also seem far more like Support Fighters rather than Assault Fighters.

The Drakens are close to where I want them, but I agree the Hornets could use some changes; it often takes a few patches to smooth out new ships.  As always, thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:03:43 PM by keptin »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »

Now, I play the waiting game until UC mod gets updated with it.

OK! I'm on it right now. Expected release in 30 minutes.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »

just wondering, keptin, how do you make these sprites?

what program do you use? techniques?

these look amazing btw, hoping to learn a thing or 2
mmm.... tartiflette

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2012, 03:53:16 AM »

Thanks! I kitbash 3D models in Maya, shoot a top-down render, bash the renders w/ vanilla sprites in Photoshop and then do a little finishing work.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:27 AM »

Thanks! I kitbash 3D models in Maya, shoot a top-down render, bash the renders w/ vanilla sprites in Photoshop and then do a little finishing work.

What models do you use to kitbash in the first place?

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:57 AM »

Likely his own.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:25 AM »

They're not mine, they're free models I find across the internet.  I'm a modeler by trade, but I don't have the time to model every ship.  Plus, I find modeling spaceships, sports cars, and big breasted heroines cliche and boring.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45