Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Role Play Start  (Read 1431 times)

ABQGhostDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Role Play Start
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »

Is there any way to create a custom start with a cheep ship and debt roughly equal to the cost of the starting ship and equipment? I'd also like to disable the stipend and ideally have to make temporary monthly payments instead.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Role Play Start
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »

Hi, welcome to the forum! Yes, there is actually a start option very similar to this, but its a bit hidden.

You'll need to go to starsector-core/data/config and open settings.json with a basic text editor (notepad is fine, notepad++ is better). If you are uncertain in that step, make a copy of the file before opening it. Then search for "enableSpacerStart" and set it to true (no quotation marks, just the word true). This gives you the option in character creation in starting with nothing but a single unarmed shuttle, no stipend, and debt each month based on your level.

If this sounds a bit too extreme, there's also an option right below, "enableStipend". Setting that to false will disable stipends without putting on the monthly debt.

There are quite a few possible ways to tweak your own settings file, and its also possible to create custom start conditions in other ways, although that usually involves a bit of scripting and makeing your own toggleable mod.

ABQGhostDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Role Play Start
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:49:13 PM »

Thanks! That is pretty close. My only trepidation is that the debt is permanent, I guess it feels like I'm starting after my story has had a few chapters in it