Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fleet points / hangar points  (Read 3209 times)

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fleet points / hangar points
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

Why do not completely separate the 2 things?
The hangar mechanic works just fine, but I do not understand why fighters are also counted in the fleet counter. Most fighters cost in points is more than the best frigate around, even a tempest. This is counter intuitive: fighters are one-man ships, fighters are little compared to every other ship, fighters are "stored" inside other ship (therefore the hangar mechanic), so why do they damper so much my ability to command a larger fleet? I'm ok with the fleet size soft cap, I actually commanding smaller fleets is funnier than just rollover everything, I simply do not agree with how much fighters weight for my fleet (instead of being the lightest asset of all)

I suppose this is all a matter of balance and such, but with proper tweaking, the complete separation of the two things could be done for the greatest good.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet points / hangar points
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »

It's because you can have more fighters than you can have Hangar space
also... fighter would be ridicoulously OP (even more than now) if they didn't have FP (you could deploy them for free in battles)
You would force players to always have as many fighters as hangar space because not using your hangar space would be stupid

Right now the hangar is just the place fighters are repaired and refittet outside of combat

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »

Right, what Dreyven said, pretty much. Fleet points are a measure of fleet strength, and decoupling fighters from that isn't going to work.

An in-fiction explanation of why: fleet points are in large part a reflection of your (and your staff's) proficiency at handling logistical issues. While fighters are small ships, the whole business of maintaining them, training the pilots, procuring replacement parts (and the wholesale production of replacements in mini-factories on board) taxes your fleet's capacity for logistical planning beyond what the small size of the ships would indicate.

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

explanation accepted and stored.
:D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

I would like for fighters to not affect fleet travel speed if the fighters don't go over the hangar limit. I have been in situation where a fleet traveling at speed 80 with 2 cruisers will go up to speed 100 after 2 Talon wings are sold... it just seems kind of silly. Just my 2 cents.

Bobakanoosh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »

i would have to agree with thaago. as far as i can remember when it comes to my experiences in space oriented games, the fighters/bombers were only sortied when a conflict was imminent (except for freelancer of course, but we're talking about fleet based logistics). it would be nice if fighters and the ever so slow bombers could be stored when possible during general fleet traveling.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

i would have to agree with thaago. as far as i can remember when it comes to my experiences in space oriented games, the fighters/bombers were only sortied when a conflict was imminent (except for freelancer of course, but we're talking about fleet based logistics). it would be nice if fighters and the ever so slow bombers could be stored when possible during general fleet traveling.
Agreed, with enthusiasm! The existing fleet-speed penalty concerning fighters strikes me as wholly unnecessary.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....