Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 39334 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 07:42:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure a too fast update schedule would kill the modding scene.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 07:49:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure a too fast update schedule would kill the modding scene.
True, but I don't think Alex decided to have such release cycles because of mods, it was just a happy coincidence imo.
Please don't take me too seriously.

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 08:03:17 PM »

Time for the annual check in on status. 

See ya in a year.   ::)
This space intentionally left blank.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »

Of the stuff that was promised but not implemented when I bought the game (just about eight years ago) vs. what's still left to implement ('determine the fate of the Sector by your actions'), I would say that everything that's been added has met or exceeded my expectations when I spent that fateful ten bucks.

So it's silly to worry about the game dying. Alex has shown he's in it for the long haul and done a remarkably good job.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »

Maybe the development is slow, but it is truly respectful how focused guys are. I mean: i d dropped the development after few weeks of work.

And it is even more respectful when you realise that Alex reads comments of unsatisfied people, but keep doing his business.
Spoiler
[close]

jackthesmack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »

Time for the annual check in on status. 

See ya in a year.   ::)

Better option: Forget about the game, then be pleasantly surprised by an email.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »

I'll say, while I appreciate people jumping in to (correctly!) point out that development is very much active, I'd also really appreciate if that didn't come with a side of putting down people that are dissatisfied with some aspect of development. It's entirely possible to have different opinions here, and a conversation about it without attacks on one's person (or, indeed, one's forum account creation date).

This is not true. If you dislike any aspect of the game or even think a part of a mod is not perfect you will be insulted hard core and people will try to drum you out of the community.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 03:59:05 AM »

This is not true. If you dislike any aspect of the game or even think a part of a mod is not perfect you will be insulted hard core and people will try to drum you out of the community.

Honestly those type of people exist on every forum but are a lot less active around here. Stead involvement by Alex personally and the moderators being active results in a more pleasant environment. I'd rather be told I'm wrong by a dev/mod then be met with silence, silence being death for even the strongest forum community.

I'd take the worst fanboi in this forum over their peers on other forums. These ones are genuinely more positive/hopeful and actually make posts to help new players. They want you to like the game and aren't just attacking you as an enemy.

I've argued/disagreed with people here and I've never been actually angry/upset enough to block people or leave the forums. It's not perfect but it's very healthy around here.

qqqween007

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2021, 08:09:05 AM »

Be patient

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 12:50:47 PM »

Be patient
Kinda unfair to say it to those who already waited a year and 9 months for an update. With all due respect to the devs ofc but be realistic, someone who's impatient would make this post ages ago.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2021, 02:15:44 AM »

A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He updates his java application precisely when he means to.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 08:26:12 PM »

Be patient

Patience is waiting three weeks to fix a bug.

Patience is waiting four years for a sequel to your favorite game.

This game is eight years old, hasn’t been completed and a patch takes over a year to complete. If Alex were in a professional environment he would have been sacked by now.

Obviously he isn’t in that situation, obviously this is his project. I would say the long gaps between patches is the 2nd biggest gripe I have with the game.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 03:34:12 AM »

While this topic seems to be the perfect example of bait, I'll bite as well.

- Is the game dead?
- No.

- When mah gaem redy?
- To quote the FAQ from the site: When it is ready.

There are now lots of posts on what proper intervals of updates are, how much people should be expected to wait for something and whether the quantity or quality of said updates are more important. Let me however point out that anyone who bought the game so far did so knowing the When it is ready. policy. So be as (im)patient as you wish to be, things will proceed in their own pace. What you choose to do in between is up to you. Although I do not want to discourage anyone from obsessing over stuff in the forums, it keeps me well entertained.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 03:42:34 AM »

This game is eight years old, hasn’t been completed and a patch takes over a year to complete.
Or the game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 04:20:59 AM »

This game is eight years old, hasn’t been completed and a patch takes over a year to complete.
Or the game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.
Pay the game 15 bucks, played hundred hours. Infinite list of mods to replay with. And well... the game is not on a state of "demo" compared of when it has named Starfarer. It is complete except qew bugs for me. For me each update look really like a new expansion where all mods need to be remade for work around the game. And do not forget...  some game(AAA) has take more than 4 years of development with more than hundred of people. Just no alpha/demo
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12