Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trade QoL Improvement  (Read 834 times)

Toxo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Trade QoL Improvement
« on: January 28, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »

Tl;Dr:
If Player is docked at a station/colony, and looking at the F1 tooltip of trade goods: Set navpoint to colony/station selected from the list (allows for later manual activation of autopilot once undocked)
If player looks at F1 tooltip of trade goods in open space: Directly engage Autopilot to selected colony from the List.

Hi, I'm new to Starsector and really like what the game has to offer already.
I've easily sunk 20hrs in the past 3 days, and the suggestion above really is the only thing that irked me about the game so far. It's just tedious to always have to first check a trade good's tooltip, then open sector map, search for the fitting system, travel there, open the map again, find the planet name listed in the tooltip (often needing to double check at this point, since brain is made of Swiss cheese, apparently) and set course there. Especially if it all could just be done by one click...
I've been looking through the available mods or 0.9.1a, if something like that already got made, but had no luck, so I registered here, and hope this feature maybe can be crammed into the next release, unless it would be too much work to do so, ofc.
If I remember correctly, you won't even get the F1 tooltip buy/sell listings in deeps space, away from com-relays, but I might be mistaken on that.

Anyways, appart from that, I'm amazed by how polished the game looks already, considering it's still in EA, and I'm certainly excited for the upcoming story release.
Keep up the good work  ;D

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Trade QoL Improvement
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »

This would be nice. The trade help feels a little obfuscated by being an exclusive tooltip thing. Maybe it's just me not seeing a better way, but when I try to trade things I end up mousing over each available item at stations I visit one by one to see if something just happens to be in excess/surplus state while I'm there. I'd like it if items in excess status had a green border and shortage items had a red border, just to make them pop right away. EDIT: This is actually a bad idea, a plus or minus icon would be better since players can be colorblind!

A super cool feature would be a trade planner where you could see multiple items that could be bought/sold at profit between stations, which just lets you autobuy the profitable items. I don't know to what extent Star Sector tries to be a space trading simulator, though. Maybe once other money generation systems are tuned trading will be a more relevant source of income than it has been in my runs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:41:43 PM by Kriby »

Toxo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Trade QoL Improvement
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »

Yea, indicators in colonies/stations about commodity demand/abundance of items directly in the trade screen would be nice, but I seldom arrive at port without a clear idea what I wanna do there. Checking what I want to pick up next, after having made a delivery, involves checking the colony production tab anyways, showing clearly what they produce locally. Even if they don't have an abundance in store, prices are usually low enough to make a profit elsewhere with it, albeit often via smuggle runs.
I really just wanna be able to click on the F1 tooltipp to set course directly to the next drop off spot for these goods.

A super cool feature would be a trade planner where you could see multiple items that could be bought/sold at profit between stations
Check out this mod
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19383.0
Gives you all the info you need.