Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: no death/fail state/black hole  (Read 824 times)

Snapshot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
no death/fail state/black hole
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »

Is it impossible to die in this game? I ran out of fuel in hyper and drifted into a black hole well. I thought "well this is it, I'm dead" but when I got sucked into the black hole (didn't engage the emergency burn in time) I just floated there, in the center of the black hole, and couldn't find a way to escape it. Had to quit and reload.

Shouldn't there be a fail state or death in this game?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:06:02 AM by Snapshot »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: no death/fail state/black hole
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »

Is it impossible to die in this game?
Correct. You always respawn.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:31:01 PM »

Keep in mind there are two ways to escape a black hole. Emergency Burn, which works 100% of the time if you can activate it... And this maneuver building up orbital velocity until you sort of sling shot out of it, which I have never seen it not work, but it might in some cases on some sizes of blackholes?

On a side note Alex, any thoughts on teaching the AI both methods of escape? :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »

The second method is kinda funny. It's logical from orbital mechanics perspective, but since they are useless in the rest of the game, people don't think they would apply. Meso's second way of getting out of the event horizon isn't very hard, just apply perpendicular acceleration. Even though sustained burn decreases acceleration, it's a faster way of getting out, because you aren't actually fighting black hole's gravity at all.
I also had some issue where my fleet got glued to the very centre of the black hole, until I activated sustained burn, which unstickied me.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:06 PM »

I mean to be fair, orbital mechanics not mattering in SS except in the face of singularity levels of gravity kind of makes sense...

... Considering SS ships have enough thrust output that if one was grounded and took off at full burn, it would make Rhode Island glow blue for a few centuries. Casually accelerating to low C-fractional speeds in "days".

Woe be to the nerd who calcs stuff from visual interpretations in games.