Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Targeting Feed and similar ship systems cause heavy FPS drop  (Read 1102 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Targeting Feed and similar ship systems cause heavy FPS drop
« on: January 01, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »

Seems to be the same issue as in this thread: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16318.msg259642#msg259642

Whenever any ship uses Targeting Feed and potentially other ship systems which influence fighters, the FPS tanks heavily from a solid ~60 to ~5. The lag depends on the number of fighters, I tried it with the Pelagornis class from Missing Ships, and the FPS goes to around 0.5.

I have some mods installed, however I have also observed this issue without mods.

Mods:
- Nexerelin
- Ship/Weapon pack
- Vayra's ship pack
- Missing ships

Operating system is Linux Mint 20. System is I7-377k + R9 390. This could be a Linux specific problem, however I have not tried on Windows.

Video of the FPS drop + system specs: https://streamable.com/y86w4c

Not a huge problem for me, I just avoid using these ships, however probably something to have a look at.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting Feed and similar ship systems cause heavy FPS drop
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:08:10 PM »

Hmm. Targeting feed does make the fighters require a bit more rendering for the visual effect, but it shouldn't cause *that* much of an fps drop - i.e. it's definitely a "draw more" kind of thing, but it shouldn't be a qualitative difference. I suspect it's an issue with the particular drivers not handling this well.

Although from the video it's hard to say, since the ship has such a huge number of fighters; a ship system with relatively performance-intensive visuals may not be the best choice for a ship like that. Though, again, I suspect it'd be fine in many/most cases (and probably was fine on the mod-maker's machine, or they probably wouldn't have assigned this system to the ship).

Edit: I'm almost positive that this was reported before, actually! Can't remember if it was also on Linux then, though...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:11:42 PM by Alex »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »

Right, I suspect this is Linux / radeon driver specific, I do not recall having this issue on Windows, although it has been a while since I used it.

I mainly encounter this issue when fighting Herons in the campaign, I just used that ship to illustrate the issue in the video.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:50:33 PM »

Gotcha. Not sure there's anything I can do about this on my end, unfortunately. It'd be curious to see if a modded targeting feed (removing/toning down the visuals) made a difference but that would require editing the system script and either recompiling it or pointing the .system file to another copy of it...

Actually - what happens if you activate targeting feed on that ship, and then pan your view waaaaaay off-screen and zoom in, to make sure the fighters don't render at all? Again, probably won't produce actionable data, but it'd be an interesting data point.

(The thread you linked in the OP, btw, is I think confusion about the time-dilation effect on a phase flagship...)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »

You are correct, if I pan the camera far enough away the lag goes away.

I also noticed that the lag only appears when the fighters are actively engaging a target, if the system is activated with no ships around it does not seem to impact performance at all.

Further testing revealed that it seems the weapon range of the target ship is what determines when the lag occurs, I tested against a Conquest and an Enforcer, and the lag occurs when the fighters are way further away vs the Conquest, so Im guessing it has something to do with the ship AI, not directly the fighters themselves. The lag also seems to become more severe when multiple ships are fighting the fighters at once, which might back up said theory. Perhaps there is some target priority algorithm / calculation which gets thrown out of wack.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »

Hmm - I hear what you're saying, but if this was the case, it'd be a widespread issue, and it doesn't appear to be.

Also, if panning the camera away makes it go away, it's *definitely* just related to the visuals.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

Aright, at least you are aware of it, keep up the amazing work Alex :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, and for making sure I know about it :)