Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lasher is disgusting  (Read 9897 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Lasher is disgusting
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »

you guys really need to try a lasher with 5 standard bomb bays with extended mag, the drive bombing experience is just .... nothing else in the game comes close to it.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »

Bomb Bays haven't been an equippable weapon for a long time.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »

Bomb Bays still exist as ownable and equippable weapons.
They only seem to appear in ruins and derelict stations, and are one of the rarer items its possible to find. (They probably shouldn't appear at all tbh.)

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »

I've never seen a Bomb Bay appear as a modular weapon even once in the campaign in 0.9, or in 0.8 for that matter.  Haven't checked, but there's probably a tag in the .csv that governs that.

Only place I've been able to equip them is in missions, but that is probably a bug in itself.  (Other fighter-only weapons, like the fighter Swarmer and Stinger mines, cannot be equipped by ships.)

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »

I prefer the SO tempest. High energy focus has a similar effect to accelerated ammo feeder, but tempest is even faster and can mount some crazy high dps weapons like heavy blaster. SO lasher is no slouch though. Ultimately all SO frigates get screwed by PPT. I use one SO frigate in late game to clear the derelict fleets while exploring, but after cruisers come into play, frigates don't do enough in even fight before they run out of PPT and have to retreat.

Same here, the 60 difference is speed is worth much much more than the 100 armor and small hull increase.I generally keep 5 of them for chasing after runaway cargo ships when I'm doing comission work.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »

I've never understood why people like this ship. At all. Trash. Give me a wolf instead.

It's like a "win harder" ship. It doesn't contribute to a victory on it's own, but if you're chasing down a retreating fleet yeah then AAF on a frigate is good. Otherwise...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:27:21 PM by Kpop »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:51 PM »

Lasher is rather niche in that its potential DPS is ludicrously high, but it is somewhat slow, has weakish front only shields, and has no mobility system. I'd say it shines as an SO player ship for a very small bit of time before the player has a hammerhead, and there are worse uses of a Reckless officer than to slap one into an SO Lasher and have it gloriously run amok (for about 3 fights before dying horribly).

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »

Nobody tell him about SO assault chaingun hammerheads.
Nerf to assault chainguns is coming in 0.95. Damage 90 -> 75 (-16.7%)

The Hammerhead is getting nerfed too, 2 small hardpoint will not face forward if I remember correctly

Is that really needed? I find the extra railguns(or dual machine guns if your going that direction) dont offer that much, especially compared to the forward firepower of other destroyer class ships, and you lose forward point defenses. Honestly seems find to me, though maybe I'm not using it right. The chaingun I can entirely see.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 01:17:18 AM »

SO Lasher is one of fastest and most supply efficient ways to resolve early game combat. Both ship itself and necessary weapons are open market, very easily available.
Non-SO Lasher with 2xRailgun + 1xLag is also fairly solid option.

AI Wolf is next to useless against anything with a decent shield. Player Wolf needs to make perfect use of skimmer to wear down enemies over multiple vent cycles OR get behind them. Only against some top tier DEs and forward facing cruisers does Wolf get real advantage (because by this point, it's strictly about getting behind the enemy and Wolf has better mobility).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »

Right, the Wolf really needs at least local numerical superiority to do much of anything. 2 Wolves on a destroyer will kill it (if they have 1 ion cannon each at least), but 1 wolf can't handle a decent shielded frigate 1v1 unless its officer vs non-officer (which does happen a lot in campaign).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »

I've found that Lashers are much better ships than Wolfs, mainly because Lasher can still do things after its missiles run out. They're both outclassed by Tempests and Omens still.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »

My only issue with the Lasher is that its really SO or bust: its not fast enough without SO to keep ahead of pirate swarms in an early game fight where the player is badly outnumbered. In that regard the wolf is better because it can keep ahead with just Unstable Injector and keep itself alive for a long time. Its damage is very low, but a turret mounted ion cannon and either a pulse laser or a mining blaster main (I know it has terrible efficiency, but it cracks armor well for early fights) goes a long way in terms of distracting and opportunistically disabling/flank hitting enemies as my destroyers do most of the work.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »

Main problem with the lasher is that it’s not a Luddic Brawler

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »

My only issue with the Lasher is that its really SO or bust: its not fast enough without SO to keep ahead of pirate swarms in an early game fight where the player is badly outnumbered. In that regard the wolf is better because it can keep ahead with just Unstable Injector and keep itself alive for a long time. Its damage is very low, but a turret mounted ion cannon and either a pulse laser or a mining blaster main (I know it has terrible efficiency, but it cracks armor well for early fights) goes a long way in terms of distracting and opportunistically disabling/flank hitting enemies as my destroyers do most of the work.

I agree with this experience. Without some help the lasher only keeps the offensive side of the low tech spectrum and ends up with a lack of defensive options for the AI to make use of. While it's true a player can mroe than overcome that for the higher raw DPS of any frigate sans the tempest(and even that has issues), the ai doesn't really make use of it's strengths properly. It's kind of too bad. The ship isn't unbalanced it's just only a frigate. Without high mobility or a strong tanking ability, they cannot handle themselves for long
Pages: 1 [2] 3