Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lasher is disgusting  (Read 9270 times)

Optymistyk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lasher is disgusting
« on: November 15, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »

I only just discovered how disgusting Lasher can be. It's my favourite friggate now. I like to run it with Safety Overrides and Unstable Injector for some extra speed, also Extended Mags for more dakka. I arm it with one Light Dual Autocannon in the front, 2 Light Assault Guns on the sides and two Light Dual Machine Guns in the back. Ignore missile slots.

The reason I think Lasher is super strong is because of it's active ability which essentially doubles the rate of fire on all of it's ballistic weapons for a short time.  And because it is very fast this allows you to easily pick your engagements. Lasher is superb at picking off weaker or vulnerable enemies and hit-and-run tactics: go in, press f, fire all guns. Smaller ships will melt almost instantly, the enemy will barely even have the time to react. Then you just disengage using your supreme speed and pick another target. Bigger ships still can't ignore you cuz you're doing an absurd ammount of damage, so they have to turn around to face you and get distracted by a tiny frigate that they can never kill cuz it's too fast. Just watch out for Salamanders - loosing your engines can be a death sentence.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Lasher is disgusting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 01:13:21 PM »

Extended Magazines don't give you anything with that build, as it only impacts weapons with limited charges.  Light Dual ACs, Light Assault Guns, and Light Dual Machine Guns don't have limited charges.  Oddly enough, the only non-missile weapons that benefit from expanded magazines are all energy weapons (Ion Pulser, Thermal Pulse Cannon, both Pulse Laser PDs, Paladin PD, Antimatter Blaster, Autopulse Laser)

Optymistyk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »

Extended Magazines don't give you anything with that build, as it only impacts weapons with limited charges.  Light Dual ACs, Light Assault Guns, and Light Dual Machine Guns don't have limited charges.  Oddly enough, the only non-missile weapons that benefit from expanded magazines are all energy weapons (Ion Pulser, Thermal Pulse Cannon, both Pulse Laser PDs, Paladin PD, Antimatter Blaster, Autopulse Laser)
Are you sure? Cuz I could swear most ballistic weapons such as Machine Guns start firing slower after a short time, as if they were "running out" of ammo

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »

You might be simply running out of flux, or have never noticed that light machine guns fire in bursts. Extended Magazines has only a single effect, of increasing the number of charges that non-missile weapons with charges can hold. No effect on rate of fire.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »

Lashers are pretty feisty early game ships but by late game they are cannon fodder garbage (as are most frigates). They are simply too frail to standup to any real threat such as multiple capital/cruiser fights and space station battles and will get destroyed at long range before they can even get some shots off. They are also hopeless against REDACTED and various fighter wings.

But sure, early game against pirates they are decent.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »

I prefer the SO tempest. High energy focus has a similar effect to accelerated ammo feeder, but tempest is even faster and can mount some crazy high dps weapons like heavy blaster. SO lasher is no slouch though. Ultimately all SO frigates get screwed by PPT. I use one SO frigate in late game to clear the derelict fleets while exploring, but after cruisers come into play, frigates don't do enough in even fight before they run out of PPT and have to retreat.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »

Phase/SO or just frigates in general work well as a second wave after battle has been going for a little while.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

fededevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »

Yep it is pretty OP in player's hands. Too bad the AI does not seem to be able to use SO ships as effectively.
Sunders with 3 phase lances or hammerheads with whatever are even "worse".

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:31:27 PM »

I've tried the lasher a couple times in new game starts trying something new. I always hated it. The AAF is nice but versus anything bigger or better than a pirate destroyer it falls flat on it's face. I'd prefer at least a destroyer to not be critically damaged by a single stray harpoon, Lud forbid an atropos.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 07:47:13 PM »

I've tried the lasher a couple times in new game starts trying something new. I always hated it. The AAF is nice but versus anything bigger or better than a pirate destroyer it falls flat on it's face. I'd prefer at least a destroyer to not be critically damaged by a single stray harpoon, Lud forbid an atropos.
Well, one Lasher is 4 DP, and anything bigger or better than a pirate Destroyer is going to be at minimum ~7+ DP...

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 01:14:50 AM »

Too bad the AI does not seem to be able to use SO ships as effectively.
That is only true if you leave its stance on Steady. SO ships require the autopilot stance to be Aggressive, or Hilarious (Reckless). You can do that by using an officer with the right personality, or set the stance for all ships without officers on the doctrine screen.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 04:29:23 AM »

Nobody tell him about SO assault chaingun hammerheads.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 05:41:22 AM »

Nerf to assault chainguns is coming in 0.95. Damage 90 -> 75 (-16.7%)

fededevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Nerf to assault chainguns is coming in 0.95. Damage 90 -> 75 (-16.7%)

The Hammerhead is getting nerfed too, 2 small hardpoint will not face forward if I remember correctly

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »

I always used the Heavy Machine Gun + Assault Chaingun combo on mine anyway. You don;t really need THAT much HE for small targets and the HMG does hilariously well VS anything but armour. Which the AC strips quickly enough for the hammerheads weightclass.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3