Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 601434 times)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1755 on: April 21, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »

The nerfs to IM are more about what happens to stripped armor, in particular how much kinetics are still shut down by it
While making the (now obsolete) armor calculator, I found that there was a HUGE difference in damage taken between the tiniest strip of aluminum foil foil armor and completely naked hull. If a ship was taking just one point of yellow damage, then it would gain a lot of bonuses from talents. Something like a gauss cannon would do very little damage, but once that last bit of tin foil was gone it was taking big meaty chunks out of hull.

I bet fragmentation weapons had it even worse, never really tested it though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:05:31 PM by bobucles »

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »

Safety Overrides can no longer be built into ships using story points
::)

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 21, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »

So, total number of skillpoints is still 15?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »

Now that high-level officers only spawn on sectorgen, the last reason to ever answer distress calls is gone. Meh.

Edit: could you actually consider adding the chance for a good officer as a potential reward for distress calls? Seems very thematically fitting (you save someone's life - they join your fleet).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:17:24 PM by Amoebka »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 21, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »

For those wanting to see some math and details behind kinetic rounds and armor, there was a thread about it here: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20894.0

In that thread I under-calculated the impact of armor because the 150 stacked with base armor, but even the lower bound showed that the most lightly armored of frigates takes minimum damage to hull from all but the very heaviest kinetic weapons if they have elite IM. As an example, a non-IM Lumen takes 11.5 railgun hits to bare hull to kill. An elite IM would take 66.6 railgun shots to kill vs bare hull. With the new skill (if I have my numbers right) it will take 25.3. So elite IM will still provide excellent protection against small rounds (more than doubling hull hitpoints), but is not a 6 times increase anymore.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:17:32 PM by Thaago »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 21, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

Armour damage reduction calculation has been changed in 0.95, especially the Impact Mitigation, which once replaced residual armour with its 150, but now it adds to it (well, now adds 50). -25% armour damage shouldn't do anything after the armour has been stripped, though.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 21, 2021, 12:17:37 PM »

Say, what happens to ships that have safety overrides on as an s-mod from a previus patch? Are the mods automatically removed?

They'll keep them.

SO my flagship is collectible now. More pirates for me! (To fight off.)

EclipseRanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 21, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »

Great job Alex!Hotfix looks solid.
Especially appreciate the bounty rewards increase,as well as Fighter skill buffs and Gunnery Implants changes(Elite effects should be desirable and -50% recoil just doesn't cut it).

Any news on officers,especially mercenaries??Perhaps some measure of control over their skills/personality would be good,considering they sometimes have absolutely unusable combinations of skills or a non matching personality.Not a big deal since you can just shop for a better one,but doesn't hurt to ask :D
Once again,thanks for the good work and please don't forget to rest.

zel023

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 21, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 21, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »

The ecm changes as a whole i dont like. It provides a suitable temporary fix because it removes the problem of always losing the ecm battle against the harder fights in the game despite investing heavily in ecm, but it does so by simply making it suboptimal to invest in ecm at all. Now you just take the 10% penalty and build around it. Making the gunnery implant ecm boost elite is kind of insult to injury though since it would not have been worth what was previously required to make ecm viable: running 5+ frigates and building ecm hull mods into everything - for a mere 10% bonus.
This patch the enemy basically just has a 10% range advantage over you built in, which is fine if that was just a difficulty/balance choice, but leaving all the remnants of ecm as a viable player option scattered around in hull mods and skills now feels bad.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 21, 2021, 12:53:11 PM »

@Flet I refer you to HirumaKai's comment from last page: 10% isn't small, its just not as crazy as 20%

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 21, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »

So, total number of skillpoints is still 15?

Yeah, not the sort of thing I want to mess with in a hotfix-type release!

Edit: could you actually consider adding the chance for a good officer as a potential reward for distress calls? Seems very thematically fitting (you save someone's life - they join your fleet).

Hmm - maybe not that specifically, but in generally I think it'd be fun to both spice up disress calls and add more kinds of fringe encounters. The issue with getting higher-level officers like that is it really devalues the Officer Training skill. (Which, I mean that could go away! But that's a whole other conversation.)

Any news on officers,especially mercenaries??Perhaps some measure of control over their skills/personality would be good,considering they sometimes have absolutely unusable combinations of skills or a non matching personality.Not a big deal since you can just shop for a better one,but doesn't hurt to ask :D

Well - reducing the number of officers in many enemy fleets indirectly buffs mercenaries. But, yeah - I've actually got a TODO item for using story points to do some form of officer retraining; will see how that ends up.

Once again,thanks for the good work and please don't forget to rest.

Thank you, I really appreciate that!

Spoiler

[close]

(It me.)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »

Hm, which skills had their DP/bay limits changed? Carrier skills now have a limit of 8 bays, anyone remember other values?

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 21, 2021, 01:25:11 PM »

Hm, which skills had their DP/bay limits changed? Carrier skills now have a limit of 8 bays, anyone remember other values?
It was 6 bays, most other values were 180 dp. Not really a big change

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »

RC12 DP and related values:

Weapon Drills: +10% at 90 DP or below
Crew Training: +15% max CR and +30 seconds peak performance at 180 DP and below

Carrier Group: +50% fighter replacement rate at 6 bays and below
Fighter Uplink: -50% crew lost from fighter losses and +25% top speed at 6 bays and below

Auxiliary Support: +900% at 5 Deployment Recovery Cost and below
Flux Regulation: +20% capacity and dissipation at 180 Combat Ship Recovery Cost
Containment Procedures: -75% crew lost in combat at 60 Deployment Recovery Cost and below
Field Repairs: 100% ship repair rate, 50% of hull and armor damage repaired after battle for free, at 60 Deployment Recovery Cost and below

Phase Corps: -30% flux generated in phase and +180 seconds peak performance at 30 Phase Ship Recovery Cost and below

Automated ships: +100% combat readiness at 30 automated ship points and below

Bulk Transport: +50% capacity at up to 2000 base cargo capacity, 2000 base fuel capacity, and 5000 personnel capacity

Makeshift equipment: Supply cost reduction of 50% or 100 units/month, whichever is lower
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 146