Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 601463 times)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1320 on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »

Hi!

Remarkable work and it has been a learning experience to read all the nitty-gritty details about some Mark9 advocates.

So far I have only made my way through page 29 of this thread, so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
I created a colony with the latest release to date, R 12, and a fleet of pirates spawned. They intend to attack the Size 3 colony. It was my understanding that the safety threshold was Size 3.

Does that mean that the "safe" sizes are 1 and 2?

Again, I am very pleased with the community and wanted to add my grain of sand  ;D
PS: got a couple of friends a hit of this and they got addicted. I should feel bad xD
Colonies are safe from punitive expeditions at size 3 (or lower, I guess, if colonies can get lower than that). Pirates can still randomly choose to attack whenever, either from an existing base or by spawning a player colony-specific base.

boredom974

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 01, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »

Is it just me, or are AI controlled ships a lot less opportunistic than they once were? Often when I see almost overloaded ships, mine or enemy, no nearby ships try to rush them down to kill them and I recall ships being much better about this in past updates, really pressing home attacks when they had the advantage. Do ships pressing advantages have the same behavior as with reckless/eliminate? Is this just the result of reckless/eliminate ordered ships mistakenly using optimal ranges rather than closing to minimal ranges as Alex mentioned? Or am I completely nuts and altogether misremembering that AI ships were opportunistic that effectively?

hijoton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 01, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »

Hi!

Remarkable work and it has been a learning experience to read all the nitty-gritty details about some Mark9 advocates.

So far I have only made my way through page 29 of this thread, so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
I created a colony with the latest release to date, R 12, and a fleet of pirates spawned. They intend to attack the Size 3 colony. It was my understanding that the safety threshold was Size 3.

Does that mean that the "safe" sizes are 1 and 2?

Again, I am very pleased with the community and wanted to add my grain of sand  ;D
PS: got a couple of friends a hit of this and they got addicted. I should feel bad xD
Colonies are safe from punitive expeditions at size 3 (or lower, I guess, if colonies can get lower than that). Pirates can still randomly choose to attack whenever, either from an existing base or by spawning a player colony-specific base.

Ohhh! Thank you!
Now that means that the colony, as long as it stays at size 3....could use an Alpha Core and avoid Hegemony thugs dropping by?

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 01, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »

Ohhh! Thank you!
Now that means that the colony, as long as it stays at size 3....could use an Alpha Core and avoid Hegemony thugs dropping by?
Punitive expeditions, not AI core inspections ;). I'm not sure if freeport-related expeditions count as punitive expeditions or not in this context, though.

hijoton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 01, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »

Ohhh! Thank you!
Punitive expeditions, not AI core inspections ;). I'm not sure if freeport-related expeditions count as punitive expeditions or not in this context, though.

I shall endeavour to record the behaviour so others may know if there are sharks in the pool before diving in blind  :P

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 01, 2021, 02:04:05 PM »

I feel like the automated ships skill is extremely cool in practice, but has way too little of an impact compared to the alternative. Just 30 points means that with just 3 [REDACTED] version of the kite with 3 gamma cores, i'm already at full capacity... sure i could take a bigger ship with reduced CR, but as much strong a single redacted ship can be, other than the novelty, giving 10 to flux capacitors and vents, and an extra hullmod to every single ship is just too good to pass out.  My suggestion would be to raise the maximum points, even doubling it,  reducing the points cost of the gamma core while increasing beta and alpha cores cost. 
I think it would be balanced if you could have a single good ship with a good commander and enough leftover points for a couple of smaller ships with trash commanders, or a lot of smaller ships with trash commanders , or some medium sized ship with good commanders etc, opening up to various combinations that are impossible right now

Thank you for the feedback, I'm keeping an eye on this. Have you spent much time running with a Radiant with an integrated Alpha Core?

I did, It was the obvious thing to do with that skill, as that feels like the best use case of this skill, and the radiant is quite powerful, but it just starts to feel like a cheaper and stronger paragon that i can't pilot myself once the novelty dies out. 
One choice is to make my whole fleet stronger, doubling the vents on frigates, adding otherwise extremely costly hullmod to capital ships etc, the other is to get a single strong ship that i can't even use as flagship and has lower cr than the rest of the fleet. 
Even if it was a comparable decision to make power wise, which i think it isn't, as i said before it's just not fun as there's a lot of potential fun things that COULD be done but they just don't work. 
One rampart with a gamma core puts me over the limit, i could use an alpha core and lower the cr, but is a shieldless rampart really comparable to a radiant? why would i ever pick a rampart over a radiant?  or why would i pick any derelict ship over remnant ships? 
There is a LOT of potential that is shut down by being almost forced to just pick the radiant with an alpha core or some slight variations, to make the most out of the skill. 
Maybe derelicts should count as half points, maybe by making remnants ships only be usable with beta/alpha cores and raising the impact of the cores on the points, i can see a few ways that would give the player a lot more freedom as to what to do with this skill other than going for a buffed paragon. 
If it were me, i would give 75 points and make the alpha core count as 20 points, the beta 10 and the gamma 0 and i would restrict the use of gamma core to only work of derelicts, not remnants (which makes sense as remnants are more complex ships), to give a use case to derelicts. With this you could have a full cr radiant with the alpha core with enough leftover points to get a smaller ship, or some other combination if you factor in having less cr. OR, you could build a small derelict fleet with gamma cores, as with the gamma cores now costing 0, it would mean having the ability to field 3 ramparts with gammas with the same point cost as 1 radiant with the alpha core, which feels more of a fair trade. Having this much breathing room and use case for the derelicts, means that the player can have fun putting together various combinations of ships and cores, both derelict and remnants, which would change the playstyle enough to warrant the use over the other choice
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:06:49 PM by Zaizai »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 01, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »

Best boy saga continues.

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 01, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »

Hmm... is this vanilla? Offhand I'm not sure what this would be. If it's vanilla, could you send me your save? fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

I would also like to report the Heavily Shielded Cache thing, I am on pure vanilla - massive spoilers below to anyone reading this post:
Spoiler
The Intel log seems to point to the exact same hidden area where Alpha Site and Ziggurat are located - however, there is no actual cache to be found in it. Is there supposed to be one?
[close]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 01, 2021, 03:18:51 PM »

Some other misc feedback:

Story Point pacing is inverse to their demand.

They come pouring in early game when you don't really have anything that feels good to spend them on.  At the start of the game it feels like you'll get one every time you win a fight, but you don't have any of the lategame point sinks like colonies, your starter ships aren't especially worth putting S-Mods on (and even if you wanted to, you don't know any of the S-tier hullmods), and the other uses you have for them are generally incidental bonuses that you can't plan your progression around.  You end up with a pile of story points and nothing much to spend them on.  Then, later in the game, when you're starting to get established - juicing up industries, creating your ace fleet, making yourself and your officers elite, etc, the well dries up.  I'm not even suggesting that the rate of gain is too slow lategame, just that it's strange to have them raining on you well before you can use them effectively and it might push players towards spending them inefficiently.  Having a stack of story points burning a hole in your pocket at level 6 feels like you're wasting an opportunity, but the reality is you are going to want them later and they will be much slower to come by.

The Bonus XP mechanic is also somewhat deceptive.  In my playthrough, I believed the hype that 100% bonus XP story points were effectively free real estate and would spend them on whatever, with the end result being that I have a farcically large pile of bonus XP that I will never see the end of and those SP are functionally just gone.  Bonus XP also creates some weird incentives early game since it accelerates the advancement of your regular level.  I spent a period in the early game desperately looking for another officer to mentor just so I could get my leveling back on track.  I think it would be better to decouple the regular XP track and the Story Point track suck that you don't feel pressured to spend story points merely as an XP doubling mechanic and so that you could revise the Story Point track such that you don't end up with a bunch of Story Points buried behind an insurmountably large Bonus XP backlog.

You can't playtest S-Mods

The loadout designer doesn't let ships go above their OP limit, which creates a bunch of fiddly battles with the UI when you're adding S-Mods (gotta strip off enough equipment to put the mod on, then build it in, then put everything back).  Combine that with the fact that S-Mods are permanent the moment you click the button and not from when you officially approve the loadout, it's impossible to test an S-Mod loadout without resorting to quicksave.  This is an especially big deal for some of the likely S-Mod candidates like Safety Overrides, which ordinarily takes up like a third of a hull's loadout and completely changes how it functions.  The difference in effectiveness between an SO you have to pay for and one you don't is incomparable.

Suggestion:  either let ships temporarily exceed their OP limits in the designer for testing purposes, or hold back on making S-Mods permanent until the loadout is saved, rather than the moment we try it out.

Drazhya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 01, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »

I would also like to report the Heavily Shielded Cache thing, I am on pure vanilla - massive spoilers below to anyone reading this post:
Spoiler
The Intel log seems to point to the exact same hidden area where Alpha Site and Ziggurat are located - however, there is no actual cache to be found in it. Is there supposed to be one?
[close]

I got that. The heavily shielded cache was way out northeast of the planet, about halfway to the edge of the map. Had... I think 5 of the new special weapons.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 01, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »

Just a few quick responses!

I'm not choosing a playstyle with my skill points, because I don't have enough for even one playstyle.

Hmm - I'm not sure that "being able to pick absolutely every single thing that improves X" is a super reasonable definition of "having enough for a playstyle".

Best boy saga continues.

You're a good person.

The Bonus XP mechanic is also somewhat deceptive.  In my playthrough, I believed the hype that 100% bonus XP story points were effectively free real estate and would spend them on whatever, with the end result being that I have a farcically large pile of bonus XP that I will never see the end of and those SP are functionally just gone.  Bonus XP also creates some weird incentives early game since it accelerates the advancement of your regular level.  I spent a period in the early game desperately looking for another officer to mentor just so I could get my leveling back on track.  I think it would be better to decouple the regular XP track and the Story Point track suck that you don't feel pressured to spend story points merely as an XP doubling mechanic and so that you could revise the Story Point track such that you don't end up with a bunch of Story Points buried behind an insurmountably large Bonus XP backlog.

Question: you've got -RC12 that seriously speeds up XP gain past max level, right? And from 10-15, as well.

There's a bit of an issue with that build, if your character started on an earlier one - you get to keep the original bonus XP amount. So by the time you chew through all of it, you'd get about 2.5x as many story points as you actually spent to get that bonus XP - since you got bonus XP a the original exchange rate, as it were, but are cashing it in at 2.5x the rate.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 01, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »

I did indeed do that, so I guess that means my XP rate is gonna be messed up, though I should mention that it was still like, hundreds of millions of bonus XP - more than I could ever hope to accumulate in a reasonable game, and that's without ever getting more.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 01, 2021, 05:08:29 PM »

When our character hears music under certain circumstances, especially the first time, I can't help but think (spoiler!) this was the reason.  Some funky space dubstep going on here!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 01, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »

is it just me, or do certain planets not decivilize anymore?
i have been trying to raid these pirates out of the system for 15 years now and they are still just rolling around

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 01, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »

I did indeed do that, so I guess that means my XP rate is gonna be messed up, though I should mention that it was still like, hundreds of millions of bonus XP - more than I could ever hope to accumulate in a reasonable game, and that's without ever getting more.

I wonder - it might be worthwhile to just convert ALL of the deferred bonus XP to story points when the player maxes out their level. Since they're not gaining levels at that point, parceling out the XP piecemeal doesn't seem super necessary. That might create a weird incentive to spend the points right before reaching max level, though... maybe the "deferred" bonus XP can just spend 10x more quickly, or something. I'm definitely on board with the idea of somehow giving the player those spent SP back more quickly, though - having a huge backlog to eat through for forever isn't great.

Edit: I'd also appreciate more feedback on how the new/reduced XP requirements for SP past max level feel! Though, yeah, given a pre-RC12 save does make that kind of impossible.

When our character hears music under certain circumstances, especially the first time, I can't help but think (spoiler!) this was the reason.  Some funky space dubstep going on here!

Whoa, very cool!

is it just me, or do certain planets not decivilize anymore?
i have been trying to raid these pirates out of the system for 15 years now and they are still just rolling around

A few colonies are story-critical and can't decivilize until you've done the relevant story missions.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 146