Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 624390 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #855 on: March 12, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »

Everything that relies on damaging missiles needs Expanded Missile Racks.  There is never enough missiles in an endgame fight, except maybe Locusts.  Those that cannot use Locusts but use missiles anyway are quasi-SO ships.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 12, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

I meant having them built-in for those ships. Not because they need the buff (though they probably do), but because it feels right.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 12, 2021, 10:03:21 PM »

Maybe I am remembering from an earlier patch. But I have been very happy with tridents in general. Both due to higher power density* and due to better likelihood of landing a hit.

*that is, I only have so many slots so a trident at less DMG/OP but better Dmg/slot is an easy trade off

Nerdskarlate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 13, 2021, 09:42:50 AM »

I made an account just to say this!!!

PLEASE ALLOW US TO GIVE ORDERS TO OUR DETACHMENTS.

I think would be cool if the high command uses be expanded, like allow us to give orders to detachments to attack pirate bases or enemy systems.

Would be cool too if the high command become's stronger as you build more patrol hqs in other planets in the same system. If this can't be implemented at least give us the tools to mod this because i know starsector it's not a x4 game but would be cool if nex or another mod could give us this options.

Amazing game and good job :)

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 13, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »

Few of my weapon choices are directly affected by their damage/OP ratio.  Many of my weapon choices are influenced by the opportunity cost of mounting it instead of another weapon. (while OP does matter here, slot size, type and quality are even more important.)

I would guess that since slot size and type are pretty fixed that “quality” encompasses dps/OP and DPS/slot almost exclusively and you don’t realize it.
No, "quality" here is in reference to the quality of the weapon slots themselves.  It's not really a variable that can be summed up in a single quantitative number, the quality of the mount is based on where on the ship it's located, the coverage it supplies, and whether the slot is a hardpoint or a turret.

The left-most Mora small ballistic hardpoint has very little gun coverage compared to the turrets on a low-mobility platform with heavy OP restrictions.  That mount is a low-quality mount and is likely to be the first mount to be "scavenged" in order to make a Mora build work.

Same with the broadside turrets of the Scarab, very poor weapon coverage for turret weapons, even in the PD role.  Scarab builds often use cheap throw-away guns on those or leave them out entirely, which is why those slots are being removed in 0.95.

Turreted large missiles, such as those found on the Legion XIV, are high quality as they have an ability to independently track targets with even unguided torpedos.  Front-facing hardpointed large missiles like on the upcoming Champion are not quite as high quality (you have to turn the entire ship to track things with torpedos), but they're still fairly good in that respect.  Off-side missile hardpoints like on the Apogee are not as high quality as torpedos are entirely impractical on these types of slots, which limits its usage to missiles with good guidance.

Cane

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 14, 2021, 01:19:38 AM »

Changed how maximum number of ships in player fleet works:
  • Limit is 30, as before
  • Is now a soft limit and can be exceeded - can recover ships, buy them, etc
  • Penalties for exceeding it are harsh (more supplies used, lower speed) so it's not viable to exceed it for long
  • Once the player has 25 or more ships in their fleet, an indicator is shown in the fleet screen

I don't know if this has been discussed in the previous 57 pages, but didn't someone field the idea of making the fleet ship cap OP-based instead? That way you could field a larger fleet of frigates and destroyers if you wanted to, and only bring a few cruisers and capital ships. If you try to do that now you'll reach the 30-ship limit pretty quickly, whereas if you stick with the usual cap ship + cruiser exclusive lineup you always have a lot more room in your fleet for salvaged ships.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 14, 2021, 05:34:45 AM »

Changed how maximum number of ships in player fleet works:
  • Limit is 30, as before
  • Is now a soft limit and can be exceeded - can recover ships, buy them, etc
  • Penalties for exceeding it are harsh (more supplies used, lower speed) so it's not viable to exceed it for long
  • Once the player has 25 or more ships in their fleet, an indicator is shown in the fleet screen

I don't know if this has been discussed in the previous 57 pages, but didn't someone field the idea of making the fleet ship cap OP-based instead? That way you could field a larger fleet of frigates and destroyers if you wanted to, and only bring a few cruisers and capital ships. If you try to do that now you'll reach the 30-ship limit pretty quickly, whereas if you stick with the usual cap ship + cruiser exclusive lineup you always have a lot more room in your fleet for salvaged ships.

I would also like to see that. Allowing us to exceed the cap is a nice QoL improvement generally but doesn't solve the core problem with being forced to use big ships because of the 30 fleet size limits or in this case "Penalties for exceeding it are harsh".

Too many slots feel like support ships we are forced to take because of the game mechanics. Then it's are you willing to trade a Capital/Cruiser remaining slots for a destroyer?

I find it unlikely that the improvements to small ships or the increased captain limit will fix this. Those captains could just be assigned to Capital/Cruisers afterall...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:36:47 AM by Locklave »

Darenkel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 14, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »

--snip--
    [/list]

Better yet, base it on deployment costs. A utility ship won't cost nearly as much to deploy as a hi-tech combat ship, so you'd be able to fit more utility ships in a fleet with less impact. This would also have an interesting interaction with ships that have a lot of d-mods.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #863 on: March 14, 2021, 10:42:14 AM »

These ideas can go wrong fast and really change how the game can be played and the fleet composition that we're able to have. For example I don't think we should take away the ability for players to field a bunch of capitals, in previous versions there was a system like that and it felt really restrictive. Extra fleet slots for civilian ships sounds like a better idea.

Alex

• Administrator
    • Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #864 on: March 14, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »

If this can't be implemented at least give us the tools to mod this because i know starsector it's not a x4 game but would be cool if nex or another mod could give us this options.

(Mods could already do this, and, right, I think some already do.)

Amazing game and good job :)

Thank you :) Also, hi!

I find it unlikely that the improvements to small ships or the increased captain limit will fix this. Those captains could just be assigned to Capital/Cruisers afterall...

Nonetheless! That is in fact the idea, that those changes - along with some other ones to skills - will largely address this. While the "you can temporarily exceed 30" change is mainly there just for smoother salvaging.

Megas

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #865 on: March 14, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »

For example I don't think we should take away the ability for players to field a bunch of capitals, in previous versions there was a system like that and it felt really restrictive. Extra fleet slots for civilian ships sounds like a better idea.
    In those previous releases, player could max at about 100+ FP/DP equivalent, if player had max Leadership and Fleet Logistics.  Personnel also counted for Logistics.  Unskilled, player only had about 25 points.  Overpowered combat skills (for those who did not choose Leadership) were a must to let a few frigates or a lone battlecruiser to solo fleets because it was impossible to deploy that many ships.  Even with max skills, player could manage about thirty frigates or three to four capitals (or somewhere in between for destroyers and cruisers).

If we return to old Logistics system of previous releases, we would likely deploy LESS ships unless it is a frigate monofleet.  Four or five capitals only could easily be the entire fleet.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
    • Admiral
    • Harpoon Affectionado
      • View Profile
    « Reply #866 on: March 14, 2021, 11:31:39 AM »

For me at least, having too many ships on the field makes the quality of combat take a real dive. Its fun in a meme-y way for the battlespace to be absolutely filled with frigates, but it really screws up the AI and makes maneuvering silly. Things turn into bumper cars and ships take significant damage from friendly collisions. Even 30 frigates is not very good gameplay IMO.

Alex

• Administrator
    • Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #867 on: March 14, 2021, 11:46:02 AM »

For me at least, having too many ships on the field makes the quality of combat take a real dive. Its fun in a meme-y way for the battlespace to be absolutely filled with frigates, but it really screws up the AI and makes maneuvering silly. Things turn into bumper cars and ships take significant damage from friendly collisions. Even 30 frigates is not very good gameplay IMO.

(Very much agreed on all points, yeah.)

chaincat

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #868 on: March 14, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »

Not to pressure or rush the update, but do we have a rough eta when the next patch will roll out? I was thinking of starting up a new save over spring break, but it'd be a bit of a downer to start a save and have to trash it if the next version rolls out in like a few days
    Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Jangala must be destroyed.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #869 on: March 14, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »

Not to pressure or rush the update, but do we have a rough eta when the next patch will roll out?

Nope. I would guess April or early May based on past experience, but it could be delayed further if something turns up in final testing, as has happened.
    Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 146