Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 600598 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #720 on: March 08, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »

I made a bug report that didn't sneak into these patch notes about converted hangar (and other fighter slot adding hullmods) not using launch bay weapon slots when provided at this thread, maybe worth taking a look at? It would be appreciated by a few people. Thanks :)

I did see it! Ah, apologies, it's not something I really want to mess with, especially right now. It's got potential to add bugs and the use case is pretty limited - and as you note, not present in vanilla, which makes testing more of a pain, too.

Re: Storm Needler, yeah, no argument from me. It's not a weapon I'm happy with - it's just borderline "ok" - and I remember struggling with it when putting it together.

Maybe something precise and flux efficient, with a decent range (800ish?) that has pretty good burst and efficiency, but underwhelming sustained DPS. So kind of like the other needlers, but also accurate. Hmm...

Anything about grace periods for newly spawned patrol fleets?

Not sure what you mean.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 08, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »

Re: Storm Needler, yeah, no argument from me. It's not a weapon I'm happy with - it's just borderline "ok" - and I remember struggling with it when putting it together.

Maybe something precise and flux efficient, with a decent range (800ish?) that has pretty good burst and efficiency, but underwhelming sustained DPS. So kind of like the other needlers, but also accurate. Hmm...

I would go the opposite direction and just make it a buckshot/scatter type weapon using a script; then it could fire bursts of scattering flechette clouds relatively rapidly, making it absolutely devastating to shields and a little better at sandblasting bare hull or weak armor, but useless for overloading or damaging armor.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 08, 2021, 09:20:02 PM »

Now the vayra d-mods are in vanilla. there's no escaping them  :'(

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 08, 2021, 10:03:51 PM »

"onExplosionEffect":"com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.combat.RiftLanceMineExplosion"
Added "onFireEffect" to projectile and missile specs; see OnFireEffectPlugin

So I could make a class implement both onFireEffect and onHitEffect right?
And in the project spec, I could just duplicate the class path like
Code
"onHitEffect":"data.scripts.xxxxWeaponPlugin",
"onFireEffect":"data.scripts.xxxxWeaponPlugin"
My mods

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 08, 2021, 10:11:14 PM »

Re: Storm noodlers

Its dps would be overpowered with incredible range, but have you tried NOT giving it dps so high that is borderlining unsustainable even on capital ships?

You should consider normalising its performance and take a bottom-up balancing approach rather than the top to bottom approach. Something along the lines of increasing the range to 800 or even 825 I dare say, but also lower its dps to 500 while keeping its high flux efficiency.

Not only for balance, but this would also solves a couple of other underlying problems this weapon has.

As currently ships with large ballistics usually have both incredibly bad flux dissipation AND mobility excluding the conquest. And those traits are both archille's left and right heel respectively when considering mounting the storm noodler. The fluxdraw and range simply limits its viability to basically the conquest alone. And to add insult to injury in this exact situation, the OP premium of the SN could have otherwise gotten yourself a much needed flux distributor should you choose the Mk9 or some other substitute.

And the times when you DO have a conquest, it is ALSO almost the least suitable thing to put on a ship with *** shields and thin armor.

So as a result you end up with these unpleasant cookie cutter builds that occasionally shine a few dim sparks of coolness.

The storm noodler is an OP item with basically 0 usability. It's torn between two roles and ended up being *** at both. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a game that has done a suspiciously good job giving each and every weapon their respective role up to this point.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:24:28 PM by Golde »

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 08, 2021, 10:54:45 PM »

Assault Chaingun: reduced damage/shot to 75 (was: 90)
Why?
Its short ranged and high flux demanded weapon with not that good flux exchange ratio?
Why its nerfed and why so much?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:18:20 AM by Sarissofoi »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2021, 01:15:23 AM »

Was Onslaught really underperforming that much? The amount of buffs it receives seems a bit absurd.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2021, 01:29:18 AM »

Was Onslaught really underperforming that much? The amount of buffs it receives seems a bit absurd.
Yes, TPC are OP.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 09, 2021, 01:34:07 AM »

Interesting round of changes overall. Mostly reads like a polish pass with not a lot of drastic changes. So we can wait for release with baited breath.

I think the Mark IX didn't need that buff, it was already the popular choice for cheap-flux kinetics.

That's about it. ;)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 09, 2021, 01:42:09 AM »

I think the Mark IX didn't need that buff, it was already the popular choice for cheap-flux kinetics.
That's because other kinetics are very niche, and both Gauss Cannon and Storm Needler fit more easily on Conquest than low tech capitals.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2021, 01:44:06 AM »

Yep, I think an effort to make other kinetics less niche would be good. I have never used Gauss Cannon because it's so flux inefficient and I don't see the benefit for a snipe weapon on large ships when you can fit several IXes and close the distance some.

Kelenius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 09, 2021, 01:47:07 AM »

Campaign:
  • "Moving slowly":
    • Now at half the burn level of the slowest ship rather than being fixed at burn level 2
    • "Sensors" skill gives bonus to this burn level
    • Go Dark: forces "moving slowly" instead of having a separate movement penalty
    • Active Sensor Burst: can move slowly while charging it up
    • Still reduces sensor profile while in applicable terrain (rings, asteroid fields, debris fields)
    • Asteroid fields: chance for moderately damaging asteroid impacts on ships when not moving slowly
      • AI will move slowly through asteroid fields
    • Hyperspace storms: slow-moving fleets do not attract storm strikes
      • AI will move slowly through storms instead of trying to avoid them
  • Added campaign tutorial section explaining the "move slowly" key

I'm curious about this, will there be a setting to move slowly automatically when entering a dangerous area? Autopilot will happily fly you right down the asteroid field if that's the shortest path...

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2021, 03:24:06 AM »

About the storm needler: how about making it deal frag damage instead, and extending the range & reducing the flux?  it's niche could be a flux efficient way for capitals to shred hulls of ships with their armor already stripped down, or even as support role for smaller ships.  Kinda like a heavier thumper that's actually good and doesn't need to reload and can put some pressure on the enemies. 

About the Hyperion: 
I really want to like this ship, and I'm fine with a capital size supply cost, however unless the peak active performance timer gets on the same level as bigger ships, I don't see myself using it as a flagship, even though I really want to...and since it's pretty rare or with limited ship numbers, having a spare one is unreasonable. 
flagships should only get some minor debuff to speed or something else when out of time imho, having a cool little ship that you like and knowing that you can only use it for a very limited time is not fun imho 
Heck maybe even an ability that doubles or triples the minimum crew but makes it so you could keep using the ship past the peak performance timer would be good, just make it so it increases the cooldown on phase and teleporting ships, lowers the speed etc, so you could keep using the same flagship, but at a lower performance...feels kinda weird for a commander to abandon its flagship mid fight and go pilot another ship lol, the flagship should be something that's always there as a morale booster for the army imho, something that costs more in supply, but has to keep on fighting, not the first one to retreat.

On a second note, does this update mean the release is imminent? or do you expect to make more patch notes updates before that? either way good job man, I can't wait to get my hands on the steamy new version :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:45:49 AM by Zaizai »

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 09, 2021, 03:40:46 AM »

About the storm needler, how about making it deal frag damage instead, and extending the range & reducing the flux?  it's niche could be a flux efficient way for capitals to shred hulls of ships with their armor already stripped down, or even as support role for smaller ships.  Kinda like a heavier thumper that's actually good and doesn't need to reload and can put some pressure on the enemies.
Complete trash, a 28 OP frag is.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 146