Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 601243 times)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1305 on: April 01, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »

I've just noticed a strange issue where assigning a Gamma Core to either Population and Infrastructure or Light Industry decreases my colony's profits, because it increases the market upkeep multiplier when the demand for Organics goes down by one. For reference I've got another colony exporting more Organics than either needs without the core, so it's all in-faction one way or another.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 01, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »

I feel like the automated ships skill is extremely cool in practice, but has way too little of an impact compared to the alternative. Just 30 points means that with just 3 [REDACTED] version of the kite with 3 gamma cores, i'm already at full capacity... sure i could take a bigger ship with reduced CR, but as much strong a single redacted ship can be, other than the novelty, giving 10 to flux capacitors and vents, and an extra hullmod to every single ship is just too good to pass out.  My suggestion would be to raise the maximum points, even doubling it,  reducing the points cost of the gamma core while increasing beta and alpha cores cost. 
I think it would be balanced if you could have a single good ship with a good commander and enough leftover points for a couple of smaller ships with trash commanders, or a lot of smaller ships with trash commanders , or some medium sized ship with good commanders etc, opening up to various combinations that are impossible right now
Agreed.  There should be enough to pilot an alpha Radiant at full CR.  Maybe have cores not eat into the pool too.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 01, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »

I've just noticed a strange issue where assigning a Gamma Core to either Population and Infrastructure or Light Industry decreases my colony's profits, because it increases the market upkeep multiplier when the demand for Organics goes down by one. For reference I've got another colony exporting more Organics than either needs without the core, so it's all in-faction one way or another.
Imagine your colony demands 1 unit of food and 1 unit of organics, that's all. You supply food yourself, so you supply 1/2 of the colony's demand, so you get half the upkeep reduction.
Now, you put a gamma core on the building that demands food. Colony demand is now 0 food and 1 organics. Since food is not demanded anymore, you don't get any upkeep reduction from satisfying that demand. The only remaining demand is 1 organics, and you don't supply it, so since you satisfy 0/1 of the colony's demand yourself, you lose upkeep reduction.
Something similar happened here. If you needed and supplies 5 organics and had 15 units worth of other demands, you would get 5/20 (25%) of the upkeep reduction. If you reduce organic demand, it means you now supply 4/19 (21%) of the colony's demand, so your upkeep reduction gets lower. There isn't much of a point to gamma cores, really.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 01, 2021, 09:12:02 AM »

Imagine your colony demands 1 unit of food and 1 unit of organics, that's all. You supply food yourself, so you supply 1/2 of the colony's demand, so you get half the upkeep reduction.
Now, you put a gamma core on the building that demands food. Colony demand is now 0 food and 1 organics. Since food is not demanded anymore, you don't get any upkeep reduction from satisfying that demand. The only remaining demand is 1 organics, and you don't supply it, so since you satisfy 0/1 of the colony's demand yourself, you lose upkeep reduction.
Something similar happened here. If you needed and supplies 5 organics and had 15 units worth of other demands, you would get 5/20 (25%) of the upkeep reduction. If you reduce organic demand, it means you now supply 4/19 (21%) of the colony's demand, so your upkeep reduction gets lower. There isn't much of a point to gamma cores, really.
That is...really less than ideal. Especially because you end up with dozens upon dozens of gamma cores after exploring through a few systems which have Domain Era derelicts, and numerous industries which can use gamma cores (or better ones, but those tend to be a lot more rare). Maybe Gamma Cores can be made to reduce the impact of losing a trade fleet, losing only 1 of a supply instead of 2? Not sure if it'd make much (if any) difference, but even "no difference whatsoever" would be better than "actively detrimental".

jwarper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:10 AM »

Really loving the update so far!   I think the new approach to skill trees is different and interesting!  It allows for flexibility in playstyle and no one branch seems overpowered.  I do have a couple of items I wanted to call out to see if Alex had any feedback, apologies if these were covered earlier in this long thread :

1. Previously, alternate versions of base ships had different stats based on the faction: Example being pirate variant ships had unique hullmods but worse stats in hull/armor/flux/shields etc.  In 0.95a, Pirate variants have the same stats as base and keep unique hullmods, making them the superior choice over standard variants. 

2. Trade missions seem to pay much better than raid or covert missions that are much higher risk.  Raid missions needing marines and require you to disrupt a target for 60+ days is high risk and a considerable time/resource sink compared to a "take these goods to location X", yet the pay for the Raid mission is not any higher than the trade one.  Same goes for "drop this spysat off at HEGEMONY HOMEWORLD DEFENDED BY 4 ARMADAS AND DONT BE SEEN!  Pay is 35k"    Ummm, I think Ill go move these goods instead!   

3. Trader or smuggler professions are tough to maintain due to availability of missions/goods.  Trade or smuggle missions are slightly on the rare side and inconsistently found, requiring you to hop around quite a lot to find them.  To do freelance trading, puts you at the mercy of goods availability and finding a profitable route.  This is fine and all as it requires skill, but then you are punished by double taxation (30% at buy, 30% at sell).  This really grinds the "legal" trader into the ground.  Freelance smuggling is much more attractive in that the taxation part is wiped out, and given #1 above, you now have much less risk of getting caught because your pirate trading fleet is the creme de la creme :D

All in all, great update and I am loving it!  Just curious on some of the risk/reward evaluations and if they are intended or are open for rebalance.  Great job Fractal team!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 01, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »

Raiding proc-gen pirate stations for supplies seems really strong, especially with Ground Operations. It's just money, but I haven't paid for supplies in like 10 in-game years.
On further consideration, I'm paying 10,000 credits per month for these 500 marines, and my fleet needs about 250 supplies per month. So if I'm not using them for anything but raiding for supplies, and that's how I'm getting all my supplies, I'm only saving 15k credits per month plus however many supplies I use on combat; call that another 15k. That's good, but not overpowered IMO.

Thank you for the added thoughts here!

My phase frigates with officers that have elite Phase Mastery don't give themselves enough time/space to slow down when coming out of phase and keep ramming stations and exploding themselves.

Made a note!

About the skills system, the best solution would be separating each skill tree exp gain from one another, let combat give exp to personal skills, colony building and management give exp to industrial, etc. And skill three is a good idea, to get to better, top skills you have to learn something simpler.

I've seen this idea come up before, yeah. That's just not a direction I want to go in. I think utlimately there's more potential for interesting combinations if the skills are all using the same points. Otherwise... well, you'd probably have to end up with massively nerfed personal combat skills, for one, since everyone would have them and they're not competing with anything else.

maybe issue, crashed when finishing a CustomProductionContract, infering that the person is not in the market from the trace stack

Thank you! Hmm. What game version are you on? Some stuff that could factor in here could've been resolved by one of the hotfixes, so I want to make sure.

Third, although I'm sure it's more a "me" problem than a "game" problem, same as in 0.9.1, there's no way to get fleet-specific skills any way other than to get them yourself. Combat skills? Hire officers. Colony skills? Hire administrators. Of the 40 skills ingame 22 of them are player exclusive or at least have some kind of player-exclusive effect (Ground Operations' raiding bonus), so it seems like a no-brainer choice for the player to grab them. Especially since many of them have pretty powerful effects in their own right.

Two thoughts here! If you could get non-combat skills in ways other than character skills, you'd never get them via character skills. And, two - while I understand the "combat skills? hire officers" sentiment, I think it's one of those things that sounds right but is actually a very false equivalence. "Combat skills on the ship you're piloting" is not the same as "combat skills on another ship", not by a long shot. The latter can still mean a lot, of course, but... just not the same thing.

Well, that was my suggestion, too. Instead of picking every skill, we should be able to pick from the remaining skills after wrapping around.

Ah - I think that leads to some "obvious best" choices simply due to how skills synergize. Would you ever pick officer training and not pick officer management? Or, in the cases where the tier 5 skills are really powerful, would you ever really not pick both? I mean, that could possibly work, but at the price of nerfing some of the more fun skills.

With the current skill system, I can't even max out the colony management skills.

I've seen this sentiment before, and... I mean, I *kind of* get it. But at the same time, you can't get all of the combat skills, either.

I feel like the automated ships skill is extremely cool in practice, but has way too little of an impact compared to the alternative. Just 30 points means that with just 3 [REDACTED] version of the kite with 3 gamma cores, i'm already at full capacity... sure i could take a bigger ship with reduced CR, but as much strong a single redacted ship can be, other than the novelty, giving 10 to flux capacitors and vents, and an extra hullmod to every single ship is just too good to pass out.  My suggestion would be to raise the maximum points, even doubling it,  reducing the points cost of the gamma core while increasing beta and alpha cores cost. 
I think it would be balanced if you could have a single good ship with a good commander and enough leftover points for a couple of smaller ships with trash commanders, or a lot of smaller ships with trash commanders , or some medium sized ship with good commanders etc, opening up to various combinations that are impossible right now

Thank you for the feedback, I'm keeping an eye on this. Have you spent much time running with a Radiant with an integrated Alpha Core?

There isn't much of a point to gamma cores, really.

(Yeah, this is something that could probably use another look at some point. Really, though - unless the cores just provide meaningfully *different* bonuses that don't just amount to "pick whichever one gives more income right now" - what gamma cores do doesn't matter terribly much since chances are you'd get beta or alpha cores fairly soon anyway. Unless, say, gamma cores just did not attract Pather cells or inspections? Some qualitative differences, again.)

oh shitttttttt

:D

Really loving the update so far!   I think the new approach to skill trees is different and interesting!  It allows for flexibility in playstyle and no one branch seems overpowered.  I do have a couple of items I wanted to call out to see if Alex had any feedback, apologies if these were covered earlier in this long thread :

Thank you!

1. Previously, alternate versions of base ships had different stats based on the faction: Example being pirate variant ships had unique hullmods but worse stats in hull/armor/flux/shields etc.  In 0.95a, Pirate variants have the same stats as base and keep unique hullmods, making them the superior choice over standard variants. 

Hmm - that must be going back to when the pirate ships always had built-in d-mods? This... isn't actually a question, though. So: yes! Pirate ships, especially some of them, are cooler.

2. Trade missions seem to pay much better than raid or covert missions that are much higher risk.  Raid missions needing marines and require you to disrupt a target for 60+ days is high risk and a considerable time/resource sink compared to a "take these goods to location X", yet the pay for the Raid mission is not any higher than the trade one.  Same goes for "drop this spysat off at HEGEMONY HOMEWORLD DEFENDED BY 4 ARMADAS AND DONT BE SEEN!  Pay is 35k"    Ummm, I think Ill go move these goods instead!   

Yeah, mission reward balance is something that will need some tweaking, for sure.

3. Trader or smuggler professions are tough to maintain due to availability of missions/goods.  Trade or smuggle missions are slightly on the rare side and inconsistently found, requiring you to hop around quite a lot to find them.  To do freelance trading, puts you at the mercy of goods availability and finding a profitable route.  This is fine and all as it requires skill, but then you are punished by double taxation (30% at buy, 30% at sell).  This really grinds the "legal" trader into the ground.  Freelance smuggling is much more attractive in that the taxation part is wiped out, and given #1 above, you now have much less risk of getting caught because your pirate trading fleet is the creme de la creme :D

Yeah, legal trade - aside from fulfilling delivery missions - is just not very profitable.

All in all, great update and I am loving it!  Just curious on some of the risk/reward evaluations and if they are intended or are open for rebalance.  Great job Fractal team!

Thank you again! And, yeah, fair points re: rewards. Some of the patrol-related changes (demanding inspections, CR loss from them) are intended to increase the risk of smuggling but perhaps they don't go far enough.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 01, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »

Regarding legal trading - Its been stated before (and Alex just ninja'd me right now saying this  ::)), but it being unprofitable is intended (outside of supply shortages). This makes sense as well. The majority of a planets needs are going to be filled by  corperations with already established trade routes, made economical by economy of scale. Trading freely outside of this, is going to end up being uneconomical.
This also makes sense for gameplay as well - simply ferrying back and forth to the same locations isn't particually fun or interesting. So to counteract that, and make trading profitable, you have to be creative about it.

i.e: Disrupting this planet, or taking out this trade fleet will cause a supply shortage. I can take advantage of this supply shortage to sell them goods at an increased price, making this profitable.

The random bar events are also setup to make trading more dynamic. Get offered 300 heavy machinery for dirt cheap? Lets have at look at where I can sell this for big profits, perhaps its on the way to somewhere I already want to go, or maybe its somewhere that also has supplies and fuel for dirt cheap that I can stock up on.

Selling on the blackmarket is also intended as a part of trading, and you should pretty much always be selling some of your stuff on the black market, or more depending on how risky you want to be.
I can sell a portion of my goods at this station at the blackmarket, and they'll be none the wiser, and it'll pad my profit line.
Or I could sell it all the black market, but its risky - do I have the speed to escape any partols that might investigate me? Or is this station next to a asteroid belt that I could hide from the patrols in if they do?

The only economicall legal trading a player can do consistently, is setting up a colony - which makes sense, as you've just turned yourself into a corporation, who can set up those trade contracts, and produces enough materials to have an economy of scale.

Overall I think the current market and trading system especially shines in this update, it gives the player a lot of options and things to think about.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 01, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »

(Yeah, this is something that could probably use another look at some point. Really, though - unless the cores just provide meaningfully *different* bonuses that don't just amount to "pick whichever one gives more income right now" - what gamma cores do doesn't matter terribly much since chances are you'd get beta or alpha cores fairly soon anyway. Unless, say, gamma cores just did not attract Pather cells or inspections? Some qualitative differences, again.)
I'll have 39 structures/industries to put cores into as soon as my final colonies hit size 6, before using Alphas as extra admins to expand my empire. So far I've collected 6 Alphas, 8 Betas and 67 Gammas (obviously not counting the one I turned in as part of the tutorial).

Gamma cores don't need to be different in order for them to be used, they just have to be useful. Unless someone knows the secret to defeating [REDACTED] fleets the same way I auto-combat weak pirate fleets once I've got Paragons I'm not quintupling my supply of higher quality cores any time soon, considering that I'd use some alphas as admins as well as industry boosters.

Thank you again! And, yeah, fair points re: rewards. Some of the patrol-related changes (demanding inspections, CR loss from them) are intended to increase the risk of smuggling but perhaps they don't go far enough.
I'd be worried about them going too far, though. Smuggling is already highly encouraged if not outright required, to the point where I think open markets could be removed from the game without making any real difference. Well, minus the fact that come midgame you'll be visiting every port and black marketing their entire fuel supplies as a matter of course just to keep a fleet going, unless you want to eat 30% tariffs. If smuggling becomes too much of a hassle I'm not sure where you're supposed to get supplies and fuel from, especially because smuggling is already not enough in terms of fuel.

Gosts

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 01, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »

I think the problem with not being able to get all the colony skills, as opposed to combat skills, is that to do certain things, you NEED the colony skills.

-If you make too many colonies, eventually, they WILL kill themselves due to stability penalties. You can do a lot of things to increase stability, but eventually you'll hit a point where you MUST have the T5 skill to get more colonies and admins.
-Even more of a big deal: If you want to use
Spoiler
some of the crazy colony stuff that requires 10 of a specific resource, then i'm pretty sure you NEED to have the skill to give you more out of each industry. Unless i've missed something in my calculations, I don't think there's any other way to get to 10 of most/all resources except to use EVERY method available.
[close]

On the other hand
-Unless you're doing a Starsector Tool Assisted Speedrun, you CAN always do better in combat. You can always aim a little better, dodge a little better, have a slightly better formation or strategy for your fleet, that would allow you to beat a slightly tougher opponent.
-It is, of course, possible to say that 'without combat skills there are things you cannot do'. No matter how good you are, you can't use your skills to magically increase the speed you turn... But there are so many more details in those mechanics that it really doesn't matter. If you can't turn quite fast enough to survive, you could just find a way to stall until you can turn. Maybe rotating your shield, or turning it off, or using your ship special, or maybe turning off your weapons to save flux, or maybe throwing it in reverse while you turn in order to avoid getting hit by just a couple of shots and give you enough hull left over to finish your maneuver. With colonies, though, you can't really do things like that. You can build comm relays, you can keep your system safe... But you WILL run out of stability eventually. There's no way around it.

That is why I think the complaints about 'Needing' both the top skills in the industry tree are valid.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 01, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »

Minor oddity I just noticed: My map has three Pather bases on it, but only two core world planets attract Pather interest (Agreus and Culann, and I'm not sure if the latter should even have Pather interest (or at least have it be plainly visible)). I'm not sure why Pathers start out with more bases than planets they want to hit, especially because one base will happily support multiple planets at once?

Related to that, I've not run afoul of Pather cell activity yet, but either way it'd be nice if there was a permanent way to deal with it. I don't really see the need to have to repeatedly blow up their bases, if I can blow up one I can blow up more so that just seems like busywork. Maybe change the
Spoiler
Planetary Shield's (is that even still a spoiler, actually?)
[close]
Story Point improvement to permanently prevent Pather Cell interest? It'd be a more unique and interesting option than just "even more ground defences", and give a very strong incentive to do that bit of exploration/combat.

EDIT: Also another suggestion: Maybe make it so that disrupting a Pather base's spaceport temporarily stops Pather cell activity, as if you'd destroyed the base? It'd be a way to buy time before you're able to destroy a Pather battlestation, like if you want to excavate a planet with Vast Ruins (Tech Mining generates 8 interest, instant Pather interest) early. Pather bases are quite vulnerable to raiding, from what I'm seeing, so sneaking in with a small task force seems like a fun option.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:35:50 AM by AcaMetis »

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 01, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »

I think the problem with not being able to get all the colony skills, as opposed to combat skills, is that to do certain things, you NEED the colony skills.

-If you make too many colonies, eventually, they WILL kill themselves due to stability penalties. You can do a lot of things to increase stability, but eventually you'll hit a point where you MUST have the T5 skill to get more colonies and admins.
Spoiler
some of the crazy colony stuff that requires 10 of a specific resource, then i'm pretty sure you NEED to have the skill to give you more out of each industry. Unless i've missed something in my calculations, I don't think there's any other way to get to 10 of most/all resources except to use EVERY method available.
[close]

On the other hand
-Unless you're doing a Starsector Tool Assisted Speedrun, you CAN always do better in combat. You can always aim a little better, dodge a little better, have a slightly better formation or strategy for your fleet, that would allow you to beat a slightly tougher opponent.
-It is, of course, possible to say that 'without combat skills there are things you cannot do'. No matter how good you are, you can't use your skills to magically increase the speed you turn... But there are so many more details in those mechanics that it really doesn't matter. If you can't turn quite fast enough to survive, you could just find a way to stall until you can turn. Maybe rotating your shield, or turning it off, or using your ship special, or maybe turning off your weapons to save flux, or maybe throwing it in reverse while you turn in order to avoid getting hit by just a couple of shots and give you enough hull left over to finish your maneuver. With colonies, though, you can't really do things like that. You can build comm relays, you can keep your system safe... But you WILL run out of stability eventually. There's no way around it.

That is why I think the complaints about 'Needing' both the top skills in the industry tree are valid.

Or you can be like me and just use Alpha cores as admins for every colony.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 01, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »

Also, I don't think that having "best choices" after sinking 5 skill points in a tree is a big problem. You only have 15 skill points, so you either max out three aptitudes once or one twice and one once. I don't say that abolishing the wrap-around requirement is the only solution, maybe with 5 more skill points, this wouldn't be that big of a problem. But right now the choices are not really choices, but sacrifices. I'm not choosing a playstyle with my skill points, because I don't have enough for even one playstyle.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 01, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

On the other hand

Spoiler
10 production is pretty baby numbers.
For current version you get those powerful boosting items that outright +2 or +3 output.
With a hired admin with correct skill, you can get 10 volatile at colony size 6 without using AI or spending any story point.
Hire a good admin to get another +1, for the rare metal or whatever trans blah blah blah, an additional alpha AI on refinery will make it 10 production on size 8. On top of that, refinery+alpha AI is 6 points of luddic path interest, which means it doesn’t get a pather cell to randomly f you for a month or two.
[close]

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 01, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »

I have not dived in the various new-skill-system debates, but I want to share a humble thought: Starsector 0.95, more than previous versions, is all about player choices, in activities, in stories, in player progression, in fleet composition, in load-out design.

And you surely did notice, often there is a choice between quality and quantity.

No you cannot have both without a strong commitment.

So, what is your choice?
  • more colonies -> obtainable at player level 5, cost 5 skill points
  • improved production, with less colonies -> obtainable at player level 5, cost 5 skill points
  • please I really really NEED both -> obtainable at player level 5 for the first skill, then level 10 for the second skill, cost 10 skill points
  • none, I don't focus on colonies or find other tools to improve them, and I keep my skill points thank you very much

Now you know which T5 Industry skill(s) to pick. And next run you may choose the same, or choose something else. Easy. :P

Wait what?! What do you mean you also want both T5 Leadership?!

I'm still playing my first 0.95 campaign and I chose the improved colony production skill (T5 Industry), as my last skill point upon reaching level 15. And before that I chose to improved colony stability skill (T5 Leadership). Next run, I'm not sure, I may try to build colony early and see if I can skip T5 Industry and T5 Leadership entirely, or I may go all in Leadership, or...

Or you can be like me and just use Alpha cores as admins for every colony.

Right, there are other tools and compromises to improve/manage colonies. Among other stuff, there are quite a few special items, including several new in version 0.95. Speaking of which, if you don't mind, I have to go install 2 rare non-AI-core equipments obtained during the last exploration session. Hopefully that will help boost production and thus cure my economy deficit.

But right now the choices are not really choices, but sacrifices. I'm not choosing a playstyle with my skill points, because I don't have enough for even one playstyle.

One may choose a playstyle irrespective of any available skill, so based on role-play and/or gameplay preference, then choose skills to support that playstyle. The real sacrifice would be to not spend any skill points, or even worse (Ludd forbid!), not playing Starsector out of frustration about the skill system.  ;D 

Choose a skill and be at peace, brothers and sisters!

hijoton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 01, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »

Hi!

Remarkable work and it has been a learning experience to read all the nitty-gritty details about some Mark9 advocates.

So far I have only made my way through page 29 of this thread, so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
I created a colony with the latest release to date, R 12, and a fleet of pirates spawned. They intend to attack the Size 3 colony. It was my understanding that the safety threshold was Size 3.

Does that mean that the "safe" sizes are 1 and 2?

Again, I am very pleased with the community and wanted to add my grain of sand  ;D
PS: got a couple of friends a hit of this and they got addicted. I should feel bad xD
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 146