Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Ventura Shipworks!  (Read 3450 times)

-----

• Ensign
  • Woah
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Ventura Shipworks!
« on: August 21, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »

Ventura Shipworks
For all your scrappy ship needs

Content
Ventura Shipworks is a small mod I've been working on, featuring a few new hulls, some with custom hullmods, I aim to fill the gaps that vanilla Starsector has left in their ship line-ups (For example, High tech low cost carrier) alongside with introducing interesting new ships, builds and combat styles.

If the ships, sprite work and balance is well received, I plan on adding an additional faction alongside with a ton of new ships. Ship suggestions are welcome too!

Current ships (Image Heavy)
Spoiler

The Corrrer hull is a capable and heavily armed small freighter. Perfect for your smuggling needs. Pirates saw its potential and turned it into quite a lethal alpha striker.

The trashdog is an unrefined, cheap, piece of garbage. Used by the bravest warriors in the sector.

The Omicron is a small but competent drone carrier, featuring overclocked drone bays that allow it to quickly replenish losses, this ship is favored by low ranking Try-Tachyon officials.

The Ludd's Fire class is a converted buffalo, being not much more than a glorified hammer torpedo carrier. Only the most devout of Pathers use this.

A smaller and more portable Legion for all your budget carrier needs. Armed with enough weapons to defend itself in case its attacked.

The Flakbus is an anti-fighter platform, providing area denial to any fleet that needs it, using its improved built in flak cannons

The Goliath is a massive and durable carrier, capable of resisting frontline fire while providing fighter support.

Once a functional capital ship, the Ludd's Apostle is a revived corpse ship, turned into a vehicle of holy war.

The Litter is an extremely fragile but powerful missile cruiser, capable of delivering an obscene amount of ordinance for a prolonged time, as long as it doesn't get hit, ofcourse.

A broadsider and carrier in one, the Rustyard is a monster capable of delivering strike craft and firepower into the frontlines of combat.

Very few Arsenal class ships exist, most having been turned into glorified gunlines by pirates. Originally a super-carrier, the amout of fighters an Arsenal class can carry can challenge even the Astral class in 1 on 1 combat.
[close]

Feedback is very welcome and will help me a ton in improving alongside with bugreports
Special thanks to the people in the Starsector discord for all their help
Thank you for reading and enjoy the mod!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:00:51 PM by Elenir1 »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ventura Shipworks!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 05:47:52 AM »

Feedback is welcomed? Pha! Get ready for the bucket of unfounded criticism pouring out on your head.

And since it comes to that, I'll pour the first cup. Didn't try it in-game yet, just for sprites:
Bad words from a bad person.
Trashdog: Description says it's a piece of garbage. Well, it really looks like it. Good work, if it was intentional.

Omicron: Sprite is OK, but it's not looks like a carrier. Can it have more pronounced fighter bay?

Ludd's Fire: In fact, it's fine. (In a pathers way)

Goliath: It's eerily rectangular. That could be it's style, off course. But unpleasant to my eye. Plus, this part is constantly striking. And a pather variant have weird dense conglomeration of mounts front-right. Might be OK in a pathers standards, tho'.

Ludd's Apostle: Looks a little clumsy, but i assume it's intended. Not bad. Coloring could be less pale, tho'.

Litter: Paint that part bluish, as the rest of the armor, and it would be good.

Atlas Ventura: Let's say, It doesn't look like one. In the rest - fine.

Arsenal: Pirate variant is just good. But the ordinary... Why so whitish in left? Why not make it like the right side, more bright?

[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »

Omnicron is too small to be a carrier imo. Needs either a bigger bay on the sprite or it could be a drone carrier?

Trashdog is ugly but if that's the intent it's fine.

The converted buffalo is ok.

The Goliath is flat out ugly imo. Too square and is clearly a colossus bash. Defo the weakest sprite imo. However, the Pather skin you've done for it isn't bad, just the ship itself imo.

Ludd's Apostle would look pretty good without the giant cutouts in the hull. I get what you're going for but the cuts are so clean it looks jarring.

The Litter just needs painted too match the main hull colour and it would be fine.

There's something about the Hangar on your Atlas that I'm not a fan of but I can't put my finger on it.

Of your ships I like the Arsenal the best. Has a unique shape. However, the regular midline one could take some ques from the Pirate version. Namely the Pirate versions hangar layout looks better. A paintover and getting rid of or hiding the obvious Hammerhead hips and spine would really make this ship I think.

Hope this isn't super harsh critique. Hope it helps.

-----

• Ensign
  • Woah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:59:45 PM »

Update Num 1

I don't really know how to announce an update, so here it goes, this is update num 1 of Ventura, implementing a few ship overhauls alongside polishing some sprite works. I also want to thank everyone in this forum thread and in the discord that gave me some much needed feedback!

Changelog:
-Added a new ship, the Flakbus. An anti missile and fighter platform.
-Added the Rustyard, a brand new capital ship that will replace the Atlas Ventura.
-Omnicron is now a drone carrier, features overclocked drone bays.
-Litter, Arsenal and apostle has had minor details in their sprites changed.
Detailed Changelog
Spoiler
Added the Flakbus.

Atlas Ventura has been completly replaced by the Rustyard class.

To

Omnicron had a role revamp. Its hullmod now provides an accelerated fighter replacement rate. No longer can mount wings, instead, a single wasp drone wing is added. Ship system has been replaced with reserve deployment

Arsenal class had a hue change+spine section got extra plating. Pirate version kept as is.

To

The scars in the apostle class have been darkened around the edges, faintly visible welding also added.

to

Litter armour plating has had a hue change

to

[close]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:11:04 PM by Elenir1 »

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »

Download link is broken.

-----

• Ensign
  • Woah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »

Download link is broken.
Sorry about that, had a few problems with Github.

Dowload link is now up and running

-----

• Ensign
  • Woah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »

Lil patch v 0.21
New patch for Ventura. Adding 2 new ships, and a few quality of life improvements.

Patchnotes
Spoiler
Added the Correr, a small freighter with a lot of firepower

Added the Legionette, a smaller and more budget friendly version of the Legion.

All ships now have at least 1 Autofit variant available. Before some weren't showing
Balanced a few ships, mainly the arsenal and rumdeck, increasing deployment and upkeep cost.
Added always_panic to the litter. Should make the ship more aggresive.
[close]

Here's a lil lore preview of the upcoming faction I'm working on
WIP content
Spoiler

C.194.03 XXXXX
The sirens blazed in the Venturan Orbital Habitat, panicked civilians sought shelter and army personnel scrambled to their posts. A sudden, yet massive explosion in one of the flux generation stations had seeded chaos within the home of the Venturans. A station wide broadcast assured that this was merely an accident, but the high ranking officials knew this couldn't be further from the truth. Officials alongside the president sat in a secure room in an undisclosed part of the habitat, rambling against each other, preparing against another tri-Tachyon raid.

A sudden silence filled the room after reports from the defence flotilla arrived."Multiple contacts with Grey coloured low-tech ships, unknown faction, casualties so far have been high. Multiple reports of escape shuttles being fired upon". Officers watched with an almost pale face as the once safe space around their habitat turned into a Graveyard for their comrades. Every destroyed ship becoming a magnet of fire and lasers as their new enemies allowed no survivors.

Soon a siege was formed, as the veterans rallied fort to defend their place of birth, the station that had defended them against tooth and nail. As enemy boarding parties flooded the Habitat, the Venturan defence started to crumble, overwhelmed by the firepower brought in by the invading fleet. In the midst of chaos, the Venturans attempted to contact the enemy fleet. The officers and president offering whatever they could to the invader, credits, material goods and any kind of spaceship the Venturans still had in their docks. The high command was tense, officers looking at each other with an almost dead look in their eyes. After a few minutes of wait, a response arrived, the first to read it was the president, his face turning pale and a sudden, fear stricken, shake started to take over his body. He barely managed to keep his composure to read the message to his officers. "We seek no money, no goods, no position and no favours. No peace will come until the bastion of decadence that is the Venturan ideal is broken into pieces, a vermin that has plagued the sector for far too long. The black gaze of the Phoenix shall consume all, and those who fall under it shall be consumed by its fire." The room entered into a panicked scramble, only for it to be silenced by a few words heard from the outside. "Placing breaching charges"...

As such, the cradle of revolution and freedom turned into its gravestone. Not much is known about the tragedy of the Venturans, the very few engineering that escaped from the incident refusing to even mention details, perhaps due to fear. The very few recordings that managed to leak out revealing nothing more than the silhouette of a Legion class ship firing upon habitat, some theorizing that the captain of that ship was the one pulling the strings.

[close]

cathar

• Lieutenant
  • ludd is bae
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 01:23:14 AM »

That is an extremely pretty Legion recolor

Sterdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 02:09:34 AM »

I would maybe take a medium turretpoint off the broadside of the Scrapyard. They seem too close to each other and I feel they need to be more spaced out.

You might wanna take a look at the Goliaths' fighter bay slots to make them more in line with vanilla ones.

For the LP ships
Add some darkened yellow to the luddic path green, and more orange to the red. See if it looks more like LP or not.
Make their paintjobs look more dirty. Maybe spray some rust brown or dark grey with low opacity over some parts

I really like these ships, you're on the right track here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 02:18:31 AM by Sterdude »

-----

• Ensign
  • Woah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »

Apologies for my mistake, but I accidently f-ed up a desc file in the mod which can crash the game.

New version has a fix!