Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recoloring Ships with Hull Mods  (Read 743 times)

Xobra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Recoloring Ships with Hull Mods
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »

It would be nice if we could have the ability to add some paint (similar to Variants like Falcon (P) etc) to Ships via 0OP Hull Mods.
For example Simple Blue or Green Stripes.
This was one could better differentiate between different Loadouts for the same Ship Class, ex. paint Attack Herons Blue and Strike Herons Red and see it on the Battle Tab Menu.
D-Mods seem to do something similar, as the ships looks more and more damaged if you have them.

Also asking if this is possible as a mod? I am not familiar with modding SS myself, but I noticed that SS runs of Java and I do have some Java experience. If it is something I could easily do, I may try to after I get some more free time.

I though of making transparent Stripes which displays when the Hullmod is selected.
These should ideally be in their own section, where you can only choose one.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Recoloring Ships with Hull Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »

You just make me think A LOT.

I can guarantee you it is easier to create various pre-made color sprites and switch between them somehow, rather than trying to change hue/saturation of ship sprites procedurally, as procedural ways makes really ugly things.

But it is <theoretically> should be possible to add such things as transparent stripes and etc, and change their color/transparency. Not sure how hard would be achieve a proper graphical overlay effect.

I will not pretend i do understand what I am talking about. More enthusiasm, than knowledge.

These should ideally be in their own section, where you can only choose one.

That is easiest part.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:56:58 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Recoloring Ships with Hull Mods
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »

It would require a lot of back end work. Currently the ships are just static image files, whereas this would probably be solved by making the palette independent from the ship.