Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Upgrade Java to 64-bit improve any performance?  (Read 3815 times)

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile
Upgrade Java to 64-bit improve any performance?
« on: May 30, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »

I replaced my jre folder with 64-bit version and change my vmparams to 6 GB to getting rid of my lag shutter and it works! but when I change back to 32-bit, it also fixes my lag shutter. I wanna use 64-bit but because of warning in setting.json about using any Java version, I'm afraid of the future problem that might be cause by 64-bit java but at the same time if 64-bit Java does really improve my performance it may be worth the risk, so my question is, does it really improve any performance at all?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Java to 64-bit improve any performance?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

The installer should automatically detect your system version and use 32-bit or 64-bit java appropriately. In addition to that, if the game isn't running on java 7, there will be stability issues with Starsector. You shouldn't have had to do any of this, so if automatically installed java version really was 32-bit instead of 64-bit (either way, java 7), it's a bug with the installer.

MaysaChan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 03:37:11 PM »

The installer should automatically detect your system version and use 32-bit or 64-bit java appropriately. In addition to that, if the game isn't running on java 7, there will be stability issues with Starsector. You shouldn't have had to do any of this, so if automatically installed java version really was 32-bit instead of 64-bit (either way, java 7), it's a bug with the installer.

I actually install both 32-bit & 64-bit just incase but the game will use 64-bit Java if available, right?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »

The game uses its own Java from the /jre subfolder, which should be 64-bit. The performance increase you saw was likely the vparams change, nothing else.

Java installed by hand will never be used unless you point to it in the config.

MaysaChan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 12:49:11 AM »

The game uses its own Java from the /jre subfolder, which should be 64-bit. The performance increase you saw was likely the vparams change, nothing else.

Java installed by hand will never be used unless you point to it in the config.

I see, thank you very much
sorry for dumb question hehe ;D