Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: [0.97.XX] Battlefleets of the Gothic Sector (MAOR Greater Gooder-er)  (Read 202061 times)

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.5.XX] Battlefleets of the Gothic Sector
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 11:59:08 PM »

I was thinking of some Ork weapons for when I get to that faction and came across the idea of a giant Kannon. Essentially a very large up scaled fixed cannon like one from the age of sail that fires...asteroids.  One type that fires high metal content rocks that have been more or less rounded. Said Kannon would have a ridiculous range, long reload time, limited ammo and would be ignited by a voluintold Ork that serves as the detonator from inside the gun. Therefore each firing of the gun would cause one crew fatality. Sounds orky appropriate. A variant on the Kannon would fire stony rocks that immediately break up upon firing into a giant shotgun pattern.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:02:07 AM by AccuracyThruVolume »

toastyblitz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:23 AM »

Sounds very orky. Ship systems have to include a "big red button" that does a semi-random or scaled via hull size speed boost. Something like  60/40/20 boost from frigate to capital, with the chance of flaming out instead. Would also need a way to make ramming more effective.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:20 AM »

Looks interesting, but how would these be balanced? Much more powerful than vanilla ships, but cost much more points to deploy and need a lot more supplies, fuel and are constantly losing crew (even when just traveling)?

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 03:24:48 AM »

For the Imperium ships:  Much more expensive to equip and operate.  For example I have the Emperor battleship set to skeleton crew of 1000 and full crew of 5000.  Fleet points is currently at 85.  I think monthly supplies are at 55 atm.  Still will require some balancing of course.
Also I'm thinking of a hull mod called "The Emperor Protects" which means that safety is not a big concern:  +10% crew casualties.

Also I'm thinking on the Ork 'roid kannon that they mostly are impactors, ie high impact value to toss around ships, but not do OP dmg. Lots to work out.   Main focus is to get the Imperium workable and release it before tackling other factions.
Off to work on more fighter stuff  8)

toastyblitz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »

Sounds awesome! Fortunately the balance is a matter of scale; Cobras and other destroyers will be an easier balance. 1-2 broadside small mounts, and a missile or energy slot on the front. It's really only when you get to the Capital ships that things will get silly.

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 07:54:29 PM »

Your pretty much on target with the cobra.   One small hardpoint for defense, one hardpoint on each side for a macrocannon.   Two torpedo tubes for plasma torps  since it's purpose is a missile boat.   The torps have a long reload time  and the other weapons are sub par for even vanilla frigates and so far it doesn't seem out of balance in testing.

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 11:33:24 PM »

OP updated with current assets for people's perusal.  New stuff will be put in there as the library expands.

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 08:19:06 PM »

OP updated with current assets.

toastyblitz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 03:48:46 AM »

These are looking great! I can't wait to start claiming the sector in the name of the Emperor

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 05:31:09 AM »

Thanks toasty.

On the sound side, I found 5 cannon sounds and combined them with the magic pitch setting to make the macrocannons have 15 different boom boom sounds.
The nova cannon has an 8 second chargeup delay, it plays a revving up sound then, loud bass thump kinda sound and then kaboom when it hits the target.   I've seen it ricochet off the target and spin off ineffectively.   Neat!   ;D

Next will be the cargo and fuel haulers.  then to learn how to get a faction coded in.

toastyblitz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »

Faction and then Nex integration isn't too terribly difficult, at least when it comes to "getting it working." I had a short-lived attempt to port a mod, and there are a couple of resources over in the other forum that make it pretty easy. I believe there is still one that has a blanket "copy me" permission, however I'm not sure if it is compatible with .95

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »

Op updated:

+ Added basic cargo and fuel transport ships
+ Added Gothic Class Cruiser
c Changed Lance Battery sprite (cut down the barrel length)

toastyblitz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 06:29:45 PM »

Some feedback on the Gothic: I think it might need some tweaking between the lance "shelves". Right now it kind of reads that the aft shelf is higher up that the forward ones. Maybe the change in elevation on the superstructure needs to be more pronounced? I've only ever kitbashed sprites, so layering things was a bit easier than drawing by hand; I could just stack things and add in shading as needed to simulate shadows.

Still, awesome work. Every time I see you post I get a tiny bit hopeful for an "alpha 0.1" download haha.

AccuracyThruVolume

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:45 AM »

Yeah it was a bit of a chore to stuff those things in there.   I may widen the whole base image to get it to fit a bit better.  It's a bit of a tight squeeze.  Right now kinda makes it look like the turrets plopped on there are raised in order to fit.
Working on faction files stuff now.   Poking around at sector generator stuff.   Once it works, 0.1  indeed!    8)

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2021, 07:57:08 AM »

Just so you know the Biomancy creator just put everything up as share ware.
Interested in jumpstarting the Tyranid faction?!
Also, there is a mod that makes [Redacted] spawn semi random in hyperspace.
Tyranid menace?!
Eventually the other stuff too?
who knows?!
cheers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17