Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: [0.97a] The Xhan Empire, version 2.51 Gramada  (Read 346977 times)

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] The Xhan Empire, version 2.51 Gramada
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »

HELMUT, I'm nominating that post for the Comment of the Year Award.

TheShear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2023, 11:57:56 AM »

I liked it when HELMUTs Post suddenly became a SCP Document :D Put me in the mood for a Xhan run.

HokiroBroomstick

• Ensign
  • Theres a lot of things we don't know, yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2023, 04:04:24 PM »

" some neural linked Pharrek action : "

That's a heeelll of a RECKLESS fight, awesome B)
[Hey uhh, there'sstill room here]

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2023, 03:25:30 PM »

Excellent post for an excellent mod.  8)

Tryhardosaurus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2023, 12:03:48 AM »

Decided to make an account for this :)

@Peplat I've found my first
Spoiler
uvello class matrix hiveship
[close]
! Please make an
Spoiler
entire faction
[close]
of this :D it's amazingly fun and unique!

Kurzak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2023, 03:16:24 PM »

Love the aesthetic and chefs kiss for this Gramada. My FAVOURITE ship in Starsector. The absolute hail of ballistic carnage, the sound, the warning lights before the emergency repair.. absolutely perfect! It's like this whole faction was designed for me. I can't lose!

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2023, 12:17:15 AM »

Since I've developed a bit of a fondness for the Pamed faction over multiple runs, it's time to give them a proper review and point out some issues.

Starting with general considerations for the whole faction, their lack of hostilities towards pirates is really weird, especially since they're a rich & opulent micro nation on the edge of the core systems.

Same goes for their neutrality with luddites given their highly advanced tech & ships. Overall it makes their system too quiet for what it should be.

Onto their ships themselves, the expensive deployment costs makes running a Pamed only fleet quite a challenge unless you go full wolfpack and even then the frigates they have aren't great in AI hands, despite being designed to match the class above them in power, for reasons I'll point out later.

Of note is their smart armor & flute engines which combined with officer skills & other hull mods make Pamed ships practically immune to EMP & flameouts, something you really need given their meh armor and unimpressive hull.

The lack of proper carriers is noticeable, perhaps you could add an overengineered drone carrier later down the line like the sprite you posted on discord years ago? I know carriers don't fit their doctrine but the 233 says really clear the faction will support extravagance just because, so overall doctrine isn't much of a concern.

Not having any weapons of their own is also a missed opportunity, could use some funky guns.

As for specific considerations:

The Anuran heavy frigates looks good on paper but in practice is crippled by its anemic flux capacity (slightly smaller than even a lasher) to the point it can neither fight or defend effectively. The shield arc is also too small for such a big & boxy ship making it easy to catch stray shots. It can be a decent ship with proper skills and player control but there are better flagship options.

The 233 is a nasty piece of work held back by a mediocre (for the ships intended purpose at least) system. And that's because if you rely on the electro shields to save you it's likely too late. The 233s best and only defense is speed and if anything it should swap systems with the Anuran. That would also make it better for strike purposes, because as it stands right now you're better off with a pair of tachion lances than risking close contact for plasma cannon action. Still, its a good flagship if you have bigger ships to hide behind.

The Odonata is a phase enthusiasts joy, generous OP and enough firepower to make short work of sub cruisers. Its low cloak activation & upkeep maintains the flux grid cool under pressure and eases the slowdown from coil stress, still I like to give it adaptive coils as well for those old school phase shenanigans. It easily does what the 233 should: move behind the enemy and blast away. The anomalies could be better at confusing missiles but overall its a nice flagship.

The Urodelan is a straight forward ship and best suited to form your fleets backbone. Its strong 360 shields and turret only mounts allow it to put up a fight regardless of the angle its attacked from, but from what I've seen it's still vulnerable to fighters despite the electro shields so don't skip on PD.
The 2 small synergy turrets are...cute but useless, as nothing about this ship is worth putting missiles on, it might as well be all energy. All in all, a good AI ship that will perform as good as you tinker it to.

And finally the crown jewel, the Carillon has the flux grid to surpass some capitals, which combined with its strong shield and system allows it to brawl through overwhelming odds, provided the player flies it as the AI won't use it to full potential. The middle small universals are an odd choice as like the Urodelan, it's not worth using missiles on this ship.
With proper skills and timing you can chain the ship system to nearly constant time shenanigans, which you should as the modest weapons grid won't do much otherwise.

Overall Pamed is a good addition to the sector but seem forgotten in the mods overall development, could use some expansion.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:26:11 AM by Sabaton »

Whitestar60

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2023, 08:52:06 PM »

Hello, I just wanted to say I love this mod for how different the ships and stations from your usual Starsector factions both Vanilla and modded. I did have a question though as I'm having a bit of difficulty hunting down one of the weapons added in, specifically the rather chunky looking demolition torpedo. Its listed as having decent mining power via Nex however even using Stellar Networks I cannot for the life of me find any of them for sale. Am I blind or is it something thats built into a ship/station rather than a weapon you can actually buy/fit yourself?

Neomanji

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »

Creating an account to get some help so sorry if I don't quite understand the spoiler rules.  Having problems with one of the end game alien ships that you can fight and I guess salvage, the ship that is very friendly.  For some reason, when weapons are mounted on it, it only has the ability to fire those weapons only once per battle in my game currently.  Doesn't matter if it's a machine gun or anything else, one shot and the weapons fail to ever fire again.  Don't know if it's some weird interaction with some other mods I am using or the ship itself is kinda borked. Tried personally piloting, using autopilot or slotting in an AI captain, same deal.  It will spam it's special ability just fine which is probably frankly all you need but just an fyi and was just wondering if the issue was on my end.  Thanks!

Edit - looks like a number of my ships in my fleet won't fire now that I salvaged and added that ship.

2nd edit - I forgot that I had Automated Mothball mod on which I am assuming is causing this weird interaction
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 05:25:38 PM by Neomanji »

oopsnocaps

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2023, 10:41:25 PM »

I really like the aesthetic of this mod, really gives some life to the factions.

That said,
Spoiler
I'm kind of disappointed that the Myrianous-class is capable of controlling Remnant ships (and thusly Enigma ships, which are from another mod, and Derelict ships). I was hoping AI would be a hard counter to the ship's main selling point - to the point where I actually thought I needed to bring an AI-focused fleet to fight it. The description leading into the battle seemed to imply that it only affected organic beings, which is why I thought so.
[close]

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2023, 07:57:47 AM »

Starting with general considerations for the whole faction, their lack of hostilities towards pirates is really weird, especially since they're a rich & opulent micro nation on the edge of the core systems.

Yes, this is actually the one and only major problem I have with this mod.  Pamed is too friendly, since they're NOT hostile to pirates, they post bounties for pirates but then when you fight pirates in the Pamed system you don't actually get paid for your fighting.

Vendral

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2024, 12:03:50 PM »

Hello, it seems I found a potential bug with Pan Med ships with the Electro-Shield system.
It seems they cannot have their shield arcs changed at all.  That is for both good (extended shields) or bad (omni-shield conversion).
Given nothing mentions this and the hull mods are not blocked, I would assume this is unintentional.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2024, 05:53:48 PM »

:)
If everything had in-game descriptions then this mod would be probably indistinguishable from vanilla which would be a great feat.
Everything else is very well written, the atmosphere the mod creates is great (both via text and visuals). Being light on resources at the same time is impressive, many other mods break my game/playthrough after a while.

I also have no problems with design choices, there are other modded factions who aren't hostile to the pirates thus don't pay out system bounties for destruction of pirate ships. Taking a Pamed comission however is the ultimate safe choice in the game and everybody can be cooperative towards the player who still has free money that the commission provides and this maybe is a bit problematic/boring.

Note on the Myrianous: Depends too much which weapons are recovered with it. In my last run the only weapon recovered with it was a Zhun Supercharged Gamma Saturator (simple inaccurate point defense) which almost made the ship useless.

Note on weapons: Zarukel and some weapons may not deserve such a high ordnance point cost. I love the change to the Palik and some pew pew lasers. When vanilla "lasers" were changed to be flux-efficient, Xhan "lasers" did not blindly follow this trend and got some flavor instead (unchanged flux-efficiency and range but gained a bit of HE damage in addition to their regular energy damage making them decent assault weapons).

...I'm kind of disappointed that the Myrianous-class is capable of controlling Remnant ships (and thusly Enigma ships, which are from another mod, and Derelict ships). I was hoping AI would be a hard counter to the ship's main selling point - to the point where I actually thought I needed to bring an AI-focused fleet to fight it. The description leading into the battle seemed to imply that it only affected organic beings, which is why I thought so.
On one hand it isn't really Xhan Empire's fault that you overmodded your game with OP robotic ships.
On the other hand I tend to be more forgiving (or more imaginative) with descriptions, because frankly, other mods do it worse plus the author had to fit related equipment somehow in the game and Peplat nailed it on their first try. My only problems are with the missing ones that break immersion.

Hello, it seems I found a potential bug with Pan Med ships with the Electro-Shield system.
It seems they cannot have their shield arcs changed at all.  That is for both good (extended shields) or bad (omni-shield conversion).
Given nothing mentions this and the hull mods are not blocked, I would assume this is unintentional.
I'm pretty sure the shield arc behavior of those ships are intended, Ultra would be overpowered in a full bubble for that DP.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 08:14:13 PM by Szasz »

Peplat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] The Xhan Empire, version 2.51 Gramada
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2024, 03:58:28 PM »

Just updated the mod version to run in 0.97a, dunno if there are any errors but it seems to run fine in the new version. Bit busy to dive into it right now but please let me know if there are any errors, and I can get to it eventually. Rest assured I thank you all for your passionate comments and I read them all!

SaucyBagel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] The Xhan Empire, version 2.51 Gramada
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2024, 05:02:06 PM »

Is it just me or does this mod replace most of the ships in some Independent fleets, such as bounty hunters and mercenaries, with export model Xhan Empire ships? Not a big deal or anything, but I'm curious, does this mod maybe add new "fleet templates" or something that the Independents use?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14