Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High/Low armor zones  (Read 1001 times)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
High/Low armor zones
« on: December 22, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »

It'd be nice to have a way to distribute armor across ships. Hegemony ships depend on pointing towards the enemy and unleashing at them, but their front armor is just as heavy as their rear armor. The front armor gets obliterated very early while the rear armor is stuck with nothing to do.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: High/Low armor zones
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »

This in effect is already a thing, but not via armor strength facing but instead the engines being on the back and being rather bad if disabled. Same for weapons closer to the edges of a hull. Sure isn't exactly what you are talking about, but what you want isn't really tenable for various reasons and the current sort of system does simulate it to a degree :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »

If you're worried about having to give armor values pixel by pixel, then don't.
You can just give zones to a ship and assign percentage/flat bonuses/maluses to those zones.

Here's an example.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:20:41 AM »

...but an optional pixel map would be the simplest way of achieving this!

If it's not a desirable feature for vanilla, it could always be modded in.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »

Freom the Frequently made Suggestion thread:

Hello! : )

Varying armor strength sounds like an obvious design choice, after all its only realistic. There are some compelling reasons why it is not in the game, though.
Here's the argumentation of the developer:

This idea does come up a fair bit. The reason it's not in the game, well... let's take a look at what ships would be prime candidates for it, conceptually.

Anything with lots of front-facing firepower is a decent match at first glance. So, the Dominator, the Onslaught, maybe the Hammerhead/Eagle/Falcon. Perhaps a few other ships. Note that most of these (all the ones listed, at any rate) already have front shields. Combined with frontal-focused firepower and engines being in the back, it's already a great idea to flank them.

So, gameplay wise, what would this actually change? It'd either make the ships tougher from the front (which you could easily do within the existing framework by adjusting the shield stats) or make them even more vulnerable from the back (which isn't a good thing - they're already very vulnerable.

To top it off, ships aren't exactly like tanks. They're more like, well, ships. The nature of the combat means that hits to the back are at least as likely as hits to the front in anything other than a 1-1. A ship designer would probably go through great pains to make the engine section of a front-shielded ship as durable as possible - that's the Achilles heel of a large ship, after all.

The current system serves its role - rewarding surgical fire my making repeated hits to the same area more effective. Varying armor by location... well, I'm not going to say it would flat out be a bad thing. But at the same time, I don't see what compelling gameplay it brings to the table, and it does bring complexity. All this information would have to be conveyed to the player somehow.

As a general advice: It is a good idea to use the search function (upper right corner) to see if anyone posted a similar suggestion before ;)