Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dedicated target and PD weapons  (Read 3040 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Dedicated target and PD weapons
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »

First one is :

DEDICATED TARGET - I would like to have possibility to mark 1 enemy ship as dedicated target so any of my weapons that have him in range will shoot only in that ship. If he is not in weapon range that weapon will shoot as it is now. This way we could focus fire. It could be bind to Middle mouse button (for example) so every time i click with MMB on enemy ship he become dedicated target. Only one enemy ship can be dedicated target at same time.

and second one is:

DEDICATED PD WEAPONS - On Refit screen i would like to mark some of my PD weapons to be dedicated pd weapons. In battle i can choose to activate dedicated pd weapons or not. If they are not activated they act as it is. If they are activated then these PD weapons ONLY shoot at 1. missiles and 2. fighters/bombers.

I apologize if something like this already been proposed, in any case, what do you think?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated target and PD weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »

Errrrrr, no thoughts?  ???   Anyone?
Creator of:

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

That works well for one ship, but applying it to a fleet could be troublesome. How would you work out multiple dedicated targets? Would you want all ships to treat that one target as most important? The way the fleet commands work, I don't think this is an ideal solution.

The dedicated PD weapons sound like a good idea, and would be pretty easy to hotkey. I find that PD weapons shoot preferentially at missiles already though.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »

Ahhhhh, dang it. I didn't explain good :(  It would only apply to ship that you control (dedicated target thingy). And only ONE ship can be marked as dedicated target, so if you have one marked and you click on other one first one isn't dedicated target any more and second is. Point of all of this is simply focusing fire. I don't like to pause game take manual control on my, let say, broad side big guns and aim ship that i want to be shoot at. I would like to mark that ship and let AI shoot (AI that controls weapon on ship that i fly, to be precise :)) him so i can dodge missiles, raise shields or lower it, etc.

As for PD weapons i see them firing on ships with little effect pumping flux for nothing. That's i would like to put them on "shoot only missiles and fighters/bombers" command but with hot key possibility to switch it off mid battle and turn it on again if there is need for it and so on.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:15:17 PM by arcibalde »
Creator of:

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »

That makes sense, and sounds like a good idea. I think it would be good to be able to designate weapon roles, if not in combat then at least in the Fleet screen, establishing a hierarchy of importance for each weapon group. So you could set your PD to fire preferentially at missiles>fighters>frigates, or any order that you deem most appropriate.