Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Idea for more events on abandoned research/habitat/mining station.  (Read 1724 times)

belone

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Case 1: The station has a deadly virus and kills some of your crew when you try to scavenge it.

Case 2: The station is overrun by hostile aliens and you need marines to scavenge it.
Case 2.1: Alternatively you could Fuel Bomb the station for 75% less loot.
Case 2.2: The station has an corrupted security system active thats hostile to everything, require marines to clear it out.

Case 3: The station has some asteriods/boulders embeded in it and you need double the heavy machinery it would require normally to clear it out.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for more events on abandoned research/habitat/mining station.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:57:06 PM »

Case 1: People tend to hate losing something, even if overall it is a net gain. See all the colony complaints.
Case 2: There are no aliens in the game (yet?)

Seems more of a case of using up resources, be it fuel or money upkeep and crewspace for marines, to gain expected rewards. It is really that interesting when all you are doing is pressing a button and choosing what resource you have lost to search another resource?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:40:40 PM »

Seems more of a case of using up resources, be it fuel or money upkeep and crewspace for marines, to gain expected rewards. It is really that interesting when all you are doing is pressing a button and choosing what resource you have lost to search another resource?

Yep, just random loss of resources. Not fun and doesn't lead to any interesting decision, you just need to stock up more stuff in advance.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 04:55:52 AM »

The use of more resources could be offset by a few things, like:

A) Better rewards
B) These stations send out a distress call or other message (adds intel, shows location) when in system so that they are both easier to find (replacing the "find this station" challenge with a "have these resources handy" challenge) and give you a heads up of what resources you will need.

That said, most of the game is about expending resources (supplies, fuel, marines) while doing things (combat, travel, raiding) to get rewards, so complaining that loot isn't given gratis feels disingenuous.
Having a more interesting (read: complex) decision than "expend marines to clear the staton" vs "come back later" would be ideal, but even without that I wouldn't be opposed to having the interactions for some more variety.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »

Case 2: There are no aliens in the game (yet?)

I think that hostile biosphere in planet attributes means there are aliens. Although, it is highly doubtful that anything on a space station can survive 200 years after being abandoned.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »

I think that hostile biosphere in planet attributes means there are aliens. Although, it is highly doubtful that anything on a space station can survive 200 years after being abandoned.

You underestimate the giant alien spider's power!

And yes those events are quite standard, nothing bad really just annoying for early/midgame when you don't always have a lot of crew surplus and 100+ machinery to salvage everything in sight, the "get marines with you when exploring" could get quite infuriating however if it was the only event requiring them.

It is true that more uses for marines other than yarr'ing core worlds of their stuff would be interesting in the future, but since they are an unimportant aspect of the game it is really just topping on the cake once finished.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »

I'd like to see marines get used more.  In my playthrough, I only bought them when they were super cheap (like at that bar event) and didn't know what to do with them.  I then... never used them once.

I'd love to see more unique stuff appear at research stations.  One off hull mods that do something special, for example, or perhaps prototype ships that have strange free hullmods (maybe some good ones and some D-mods).  Stuff that makes it worth "raiding" these stations. 

Other events that could be interesting:

1)  A fuel depot station that lets you repeatedly top off fuel there (perhaps it's a mining station that's automatically running)

2)  A station so intact you can claim it as a free instant build space station if you build any colonies in the system

3)  A station that functions as a domain era com relay when you activate it

4)  A habitat that improves any colony built in system, perhaps by giving it a free +1 population bump at the start or lowers the hazard rating of a nearby world by 25%

5)  Unique blueprints, similar to the XIV mod in that they let you build altered ships

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »

Case 1: The station has a deadly virus and kills some of your crew when you try to scavenge it.

Case 2: The station is overrun by hostile aliens and you need marines to scavenge it.
Case 2.1: Alternatively you could Fuel Bomb the station for 75% less loot.
Case 2.2: The station has an corrupted security system active thats hostile to everything, require marines to clear it out.

Case 3: The station has some asteriods/boulders embeded in it and you need double the heavy machinery it would require normally to clear it out.
At all interesting suggestion. Now we do not need to carry any farines.
1: virus, so there shuld be added some bioprotective suits, so player should carry it like machinery, but be able to perform salvages with losses. (also, it seems there is no atmoshpere, so crew are using spacesuits, how does such virus infects them?)
2: it can be some hostile survivors, or robotics like remnants or derelicts.
3: you can also gain unique minerals from such asteroids.
4: also, there would be possible option to find some unique hullmodes, which are not possible to reconstruct, one module and you can install it just in one ship. More interests to survey far worlds.

I like such suggestion! +1.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

Yep, just random loss of resources. Not fun and doesn't lead to any interesting decision, you just need to stock up more stuff in advance.
It is fun, adventure "Oh, here we have some station, what we will get there??? And how dangereous it is??", now we have just "Oh, another station, okey, it seems i wll get there useless metals, organics and so on" okey, performing survey, staff report reads: 350 metals, 100 food, 235 volatiles, some mining drones and useless weapons, no blueprins. Your answer: "Oh my god, and again such trash, just let it there, lets fly and look for something valuable. Fleet, attention, preparation for launching burn drives." Almost no fun, adventure to explore distant worlds if you play third or more time, it is just routine to find some blueprints.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:27:58 PM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png