Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1105290 times)

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.4.5)
« Reply #2865 on: July 15, 2023, 02:37:12 PM »

Something I would like to see is the option to turn Extreme Heat planets into at least a desert planet (or a barren one) if not an arid one, if you say.. Terraform a Toxic world. Since you can get rid of the toxic atmosphere modifier but can't change its planet type if it has the Extreme Heat modifier.

It makes sense to me at least that if you get rid of the thick, toxic atmosphere that you would be left with either a desert planet or a barren-desert planet and not a.. toxic world without.. a toxic atmosphere.
Which could then in turn be turned slightly more habitable, or remove the atmosphere completely.

I've already addressed "extreme heat" and "extreme cold" terraforming in this thread. Basically I don't want to spend a large amount of development time on something very few players would use.

Yeah that's fair, I just figured it wouldn't be too much of a task to add in a desert planet as a terraforming option and make it only able to be made with hot or extreme heat modifiers. But then again I'm not a modder..

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 15, 2023, 11:04:00 PM »

Something I would like to see is the option to turn Extreme Heat planets into at least a desert planet (or a barren one) if not an arid one, if you say.. Terraform a Toxic world. Since you can get rid of the toxic atmosphere modifier but can't change its planet type if it has the Extreme Heat modifier.

It makes sense to me at least that if you get rid of the thick, toxic atmosphere that you would be left with either a desert planet or a barren-desert planet and not a.. toxic world without.. a toxic atmosphere.
Which could then in turn be turned slightly more habitable, or remove the atmosphere completely.

I've already addressed "extreme heat" and "extreme cold" terraforming in this thread. Basically I don't want to spend a large amount of development time on something very few players would use.
As long as people know it's an option and how to do it, Im sure a lot of players would use the ability to manage extreme temperatures since it would make a lot of star systems much more appealing places to colonize.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: July 16, 2023, 07:35:57 AM »

As long as people know it's an option and how to do it, Im sure a lot of players would use the ability to manage extreme temperatures since it would make a lot of star systems much more appealing places to colonize.

It's my view that the gameplay is better and more fun if there are tradeoffs and limitations on what the player can do, and the player has to plan and make choices about how to colonize. Just because something would be useful doesn't necessarily mean it would improve gameplay.

Based on the data I was collecting previously, there was a large majority who seemed to agree with this approach and didn't change the default settings - I think they just don't post on the forums as much as players who would prefer to see changes made.

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: July 16, 2023, 09:14:13 AM »

To be honest for me it's less about the actual benefits for it (since I do agree with drawback and limitations). Sure it would be nice to make my toxic planet have 125% hazard rating instead of the current 150% hazard rating if I could turn it into a desert planet and therefore give it the habitable modifier (Since it would at least be a little bit more habitable. even if its a scorching furnace.. Think Tatooine?)

Mostly it's about the aesthetics for me, the RP. I mean, I removed the toxic atmosphere? It shouldn't be a toxic world anymore right? It would either be completely barren, barren-desert, or just a desert. With no change to the Extreme heat modifier, and with or without the habitable trait.

As for the Extreme Cold modifier.. well I don't really have a planet in mind there aside from Frozen I guess or just Barren, Since Tundra wouldn't make sense. There'd be no liquid water anywhere on the surface after all, so no vegetation aside from whatever is under the ice. (Barotrauma flashbacks)

But then, terraforming a frozen world doesn't quite make sense unless you somehow manage to melt all the ice.. which would leave you with a massive ball of water with a rocky core I suppose but.. Doesn't seem possible. same with a Cryovolcanic one. As with a regular volcanic one? Whilst I do say it's easier to terraform those.... it isn't within the time frame we're seeing with the other planets. Sure you could chuck a ton of water-ice asteroids down on it and start the same process Earth went through billions of years ago but.. that process would take hundreds if not thousands of years to come to fruition.

Am I making sense?

In either case I love this mod, it's 100% a must have for any run. I made 1 system with 5 planets (1 being a desert planet) end up with a Terran world, a Tundra world, a mining station and the before mentioned toxic world. Still got two more barren planets to go. And I love it to bits.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 09:25:46 AM by Matheld »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: July 16, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »

To be honest for me it's less about the actual benefits for it (since I do agree with drawback and limitations). Sure it would be nice to make my toxic planet have 125% hazard rating instead of the current 150% hazard rating if I could turn it into a desert planet and therefore give it the habitable modifier (Since it would at least be a little bit more habitable. even if its a scorching furnace.. Think Tatooine?)

Mostly it's about the aesthetics for me, the RP. I mean, I removed the toxic atmosphere? It shouldn't be a toxic world anymore right? It would either be completely barren, barren-desert, or just a desert. With no change to the Extreme heat modifier, and with or without the habitable trait.

As for the Extreme Cold modifier.. well I don't really have a planet in mind there aside from Frozen I guess or just Barren, Since Tundra wouldn't make sense. There'd be no liquid water anywhere on the surface after all, so no vegetation aside from whatever is under the ice. (Barotrauma flashbacks)

But then, terraforming a frozen world doesn't quite make sense unless you somehow manage to melt all the ice.. which would leave you with a massive ball of water with a rocky core I suppose but.. Doesn't seem possible. same with a Cryovolcanic one. As with a regular volcanic one? Whilst I do say it's easier to terraform those.... it isn't within the time frame we're seeing with the other planets. Sure you could chuck a ton of water-ice asteroids down on it and start the same process Earth went through billions of years ago but.. that process would take hundreds if not thousands of years to come to fruition.

Am I making sense?

In either case I love this mod, it's 100% a must have for any run. I made 1 system with 5 planets (1 being a desert planet) end up with a Terran world, a Tundra world, a mining station and the before mentioned toxic world. Still got two more barren planets to go. And I love it to bits.

Yeah, I get that there are some odd situations like the one you mentioned where it seems like the planet should just change type automatically based on the conditions present. That was something I considered for the terraforming system for TASC, but it's just not workable given the enormous number of possibilities and the ambiguity of some situations.

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: July 16, 2023, 02:31:02 PM »

-snip-

Yeah, I get that there are some odd situations like the one you mentioned where it seems like the planet should just change type automatically based on the conditions present. That was something I considered for the terraforming system for TASC, but it's just not workable given the enormous number of possibilities and the ambiguity of some situations.

In this given situation, wouldn't it be more prudent to "simply" add a desert planet as a terraforming option, locked it into hot or extreme heat as a requirement? Since its the only habitable planet type not in the current list. It might open up a bit too many planets for terraforming I suppose, since you would also be able to terraform any other barren body that has the Extreme heat condition. But at most you're only cutting the hazard rating penalty down by half, from the Habitable modifier, and you'd still be stuck with a permanent 25% hazard rating.

This way you'd still need the Stellar reflectors (even if you'd demolish them afterwards), the atmosphere processor and probably a moderate amount of water to make it even slightly habitable. Meaning you still put in the effort, the credits and the logistics into terraforming it, for an admittedly minor improvement.

With the water requirement it also locks you into systems that have an asteroid field/belt or a frozen or Cryovolcanic world (And the required buildings to fling ice at it) as a requisite for even doing it. This would stop people from being able to make every damn planet in the entire sector a habitable planet at least.

I at least feel that balances it out in some ways as to not make it a positive change with no drawback.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: July 16, 2023, 04:12:32 PM »

-snip-

In this given situation, wouldn't it be more prudent to "simply" add a desert planet as a terraforming option, locked it into hot or extreme heat as a requirement? Since its the only habitable planet type not in the current list. It might open up a bit too many planets for terraforming I suppose, since you would also be able to terraform any other barren body that has the Extreme heat condition. But at most you're only cutting the hazard rating penalty down by half, from the Habitable modifier, and you'd still be stuck with a permanent 25% hazard rating.

This way you'd still need the Stellar reflectors (even if you'd demolish them afterwards), the atmosphere processor and probably a moderate amount of water to make it even slightly habitable. Meaning you still put in the effort, the credits and the logistics into terraforming it, for an admittedly minor improvement.

With the water requirement it also locks you into systems that have an asteroid field/belt or a frozen or Cryovolcanic world (And the required buildings to fling ice at it) as a requisite for even doing it. This would stop people from being able to make every damn planet in the entire sector a habitable planet at least.

I at least feel that balances it out in some ways as to not make it a positive change with no drawback.

Is it possible in vanilla for a desert planet (or any other planet type) to be procedurally generated with both extreme heat and habitable? If I recall correctly it's not.

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: July 17, 2023, 06:27:20 AM »

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Is it possible in vanilla for a desert planet (or any other planet type) to be procedurally generated with both extreme heat and habitable? If I recall correctly it's not.

This I don't know actually. Theoretically it would be possible if the stellar reflectors were a permanent requirement. How this would be done modwise/codewise I... also don't know, I can only speak about what would make sense? I understand you don't want to make them counter Extreme heat, which I agree with, at least for Volcanic planets (since their heat doesn't come from the sun), As for non-volcanic planets with extreme heat... Well I can't speak on how the modding works, but at least there it makes logical sense that you can deflect some of the heat to technically make an Extreme heat planet into simply a hot planet.

My conjecture would be that, if it was possible, make stellar reflectors an 100% critical component for making the planet habitable. But again I don't know if this is possible, if it could be modded in to make the planet automatically revert to its original state or at least lose the habitable trait if the reflectors aren't installed?

I understand this would probably be a lot of work though for such a niche situation so.. Well I won't make any demands. Only putting forwards ideas I've had of how it could be done.

I'll defer to your judgement on this... since, you know.. It's your mod and your decision :D

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: July 17, 2023, 03:48:16 PM »

Accepted a water delivery mission from a dockside bar. One unit of water actually requires 10 units of storage. 4680 units were given to me for delivery. So that's 46,800 units cargo capacity.

Is this a bug or supposed to be something you just know? The info on water in the game doesn't say anything specific on this.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: July 17, 2023, 04:49:37 PM »

Accepted a water delivery mission from a dockside bar. One unit of water actually requires 10 units of storage. 4680 units were given to me for delivery. So that's 46,800 units cargo capacity.

Is this a bug or supposed to be something you just know? The info on water in the game doesn't say anything specific on this.

Water is a commodity now? I have no idea what mod adds that but it isn't TASC!

jvaler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: July 17, 2023, 05:51:42 PM »

Water is an Ashes of the Domain commodity, completely unrelated to Terraforming and Station Construction.

Its description also states it is a pain to transport due to the incompressable properties of water.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: July 17, 2023, 08:38:36 PM »

seems not compatible well with the new missles added in 0.96

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: July 18, 2023, 07:47:52 AM »

seems not compatible well with the new missles added in 0.96

TASC doesn't make any changes related to combat or ship loadouts. Any problems you're experiencing must be related to a different mod.

Sausage Man

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 21, 2023, 07:05:36 AM »

Hi.
I really enjoy the mod however when i try to improve the farmland on my colony it says that it doesn't have enough water even though i already have an asteroid processor.
is there anything i may have missed?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: July 21, 2023, 07:11:39 AM »

Hi.
I really enjoy the mod however when i try to improve the farmland on my colony it says that it doesn't have enough water even though i already have an asteroid processor.
is there anything i may have missed?

I'm glad you're enjoying TASC!

Is the asteroid processor in the same system as the planet you're trying to terraform?
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 223