Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1105344 times)

scorpico69

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.4.3)
« Reply #2775 on: June 19, 2023, 01:19:03 PM »

hi, how can i cancel a terraforming project? older versions had an dialogue option.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: June 19, 2023, 03:38:04 PM »

You can't convince me that people that can make ships fueled with antimatter and are capable of FTL travel, can't use relatively simple planetary heat management solutions that are in theory possible to make with current IRL technology.

Honestly, that sounds more like a "you" problem than an issue with the mod.
It's a problem of people only providing bad excuses for why X, Y, or Z can't be done when far harder things are done regularly in the same setting.
With the technology of the game's world, even in the state the game's universe is in, cooling a Venus like planet would be a simple, even if time consuming task, and many planets would be even easier to cool since they don't have thick atmosphere's trapping a lot of heat and would instead radiate it directly into space. All it takes to make a planet colder is to make it absorb less heat than it radiates into space, it would work for literally any planet in existence, and it's exactly why moons like Io are colder than than the Earth's moon on the surface, Io doesn't absorb enough heat to have a higher surface temperature than Earth's moon.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.4.4)
« Reply #2777 on: June 19, 2023, 03:56:33 PM »

hi, how can i cancel a terraforming project? older versions had an dialogue option.

Hey, I just released a hotfix to add this feature. It was an oversight that I forgot to include it in the terraforming menu. Thanks for letting me know about this!

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: June 19, 2023, 04:57:07 PM »

You can't convince me that people that can make ships fueled with antimatter and are capable of FTL travel, can't use relatively simple planetary heat management solutions that are in theory possible to make with current IRL technology.

It's a problem of people only providing bad excuses for why X, Y, or Z can't be done when far harder things are done regularly in the same setting.

If by "bad excuses" you mean "starsector's lore" which is what Boggled's been using strictly then i don't know what to tell you.

Again, this is a "you" problem.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: June 19, 2023, 05:42:43 PM »

If by "bad excuses" you mean "starsector's lore" which is what Boggled's been using strictly then i don't know what to tell you.

Sounds more like a scientific literacy problem on the part of the devs.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: June 19, 2023, 07:09:08 PM »

Yeah, it's crazy how video games don't have to necessarily obey the laws of physics, how weird is that? It's almost like i have to suspend my disbelief or something.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: June 19, 2023, 09:30:57 PM »

Looks at crioarithmetic engine description.
Only a rad-addled gremlin addict would think Alex cared about realism after that.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: June 20, 2023, 06:09:20 AM »

Only a rad-addled gremlin addict would think Alex cared about realism after that.

Yeah, I think the cryoarithmetic engine is cool from a gameplay standpoint, but the lore behind it appears to be unrealistic to a much greater degree than most of the other technology in starsector. It basically doesn't fit in the lore and I'm ignoring it for purposes of what's realistic/possible in the starsector universe.

scorpico69

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: June 20, 2023, 07:17:36 AM »

thanks for the quick fix!

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: June 20, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »

Yeah, I think the cryoarithmetic engine is cool from a gameplay standpoint, but the lore behind it appears to be unrealistic to a much greater degree than most of the other technology in starsector. It basically doesn't fit in the lore and I'm ignoring it for purposes of what's realistic/possible in the starsector universe.
But yeah, don't let the guy get to you. You did an incredible job in extrapolating from Starsector's tech for the terraforming stuff.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: June 20, 2023, 12:28:22 PM »

I think it makes sense in the context of a world where there are stations that can harness the literal power of a star and flying crystal-like ships that split into independent beings. That said, all of these are follow the "ancient hyper advanced forgotten tech" trope, which is meant to justify why it's not widespread and why it can't be used to justify everything like the other guy suggests, basically. It's all about consistency.

Phalamy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: June 20, 2023, 01:04:00 PM »

Hey does the CHAMELEON still remove Luddic path cells from your planets if you have an Alpha Ai core installed into it?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: June 20, 2023, 01:05:35 PM »

Hey does the CHAMELEON still remove Luddic path cells from your planets if you have an Alpha Ai core installed into it?

Yes. It should remove the Luddic path cells condition from that colony and prevent the buildings/cores on that colony from contributing to the hostile activity progress.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: June 20, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »

I think it makes sense in the context of a world where there are stations that can harness the literal power of a star and flying crystal-like ships that split into independent beings. That said, all of these are follow the "ancient hyper advanced forgotten tech" trope, which is meant to justify why it's not widespread and why it can't be used to justify everything like the other guy suggests, basically. It's all about consistency.
Quite literally no hyper advanced technology is required to make a planet colder, just metal, time, and the means to put the metal into orbit.
Making a planet less cold isn't as simple but is still far easier than the game and you make it out to be.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: June 20, 2023, 02:51:56 PM »

Quite literally no hyper advanced technology is required to make a planet colder, just metal, time, and the means to put the metal into orbit.
Making a planet less cold isn't as simple but is still far easier than the game and you make it out to be.

Yeah, that tech exists in the game, it's called Stellar Reflectors/Mirrors, my dude.

But there is no proof in vanilla that these things can alter planets with extreme degrees of temperature as even for a planet to be eligible for terraforming in the lore, it has to have some conditions met beforehand because otherwise it would be either impossible or a huge waste of resources.

Also, don't turn this around. You're the one complicating things here.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 223