Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1105496 times)

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.4.2)
« Reply #2760 on: June 18, 2023, 10:01:27 AM »

So, Boggled, did you see the files I sent you via PM?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 18, 2023, 10:16:42 AM »

So, Boggled, did you see the files I sent you via PM?

Yes, thank you very much! Using the files you sent I'm able to replicate the crash. I'm investigating it now and hope to release a hotfix today or tomorrow.

Ryker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 18, 2023, 10:47:02 AM »

Hey there, I can also confirm I too was getting the hotbar crash, and after disabling Grand Colonies, the crashing stopped!

This was the log after the CTD:

85510 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.scripts.boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.showColonySelectedOptionsAndLoadVi sual(boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.java:133)
   at data.scripts.boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.optionSelected(boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.java:344)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.classsuper$1.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OoOO.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.n.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.W.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

(And yes, I made this account just to post about this, your mod is such a gamechanger for me!)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 10:48:45 AM by Ryker »

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 18, 2023, 11:13:52 AM »

Is it possible to deal with extreme temperatures, or did I make a bigger mistake than I realized colonizing a system where everything is either extremely hot or extremely cold? XD

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.4.3)
« Reply #2764 on: June 18, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »

Hey there, I can also confirm I too was getting the hotbar crash, and after disabling Grand Colonies, the crashing stopped!

This was the log after the CTD:

85510 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.scripts.boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.showColonySelectedOptionsAndLoadVi sual(boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.java:133)
   at data.scripts.boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.optionSelected(boggledTerraformingDialogPlugin.java:344)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.classsuper$1.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OoOO.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.n.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.W.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

(And yes, I made this account just to post about this, your mod is such a gamechanger for me!)

Hey, I suspect this crash was caused by the same bug impacting YourLocalMairaaboo. Could you please download the latest version (8.4.3, backwards compatible) and let me know if that fixes it for you?

Is it possible to deal with extreme temperatures, or did I make a bigger mistake than I realized colonizing a system where everything is either extremely hot or extremely cold? XD

No, you cannot remove/suppress extreme temperatures with TASC. However, you can still utilize those planets - for example, you can terraform the extreme cold ones to frozen and produce volatiles and AI cores.

Ryker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: June 18, 2023, 11:57:49 AM »

I'll take a look, I have a test save to do just that.

Ryker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 18, 2023, 12:02:29 PM »

The hotfix works, that did just the trick!

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 18, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »

No, you cannot remove/suppress extreme temperatures with TASC. However, you can still utilize those planets - for example, you can terraform the extreme cold ones to frozen and produce volatiles and AI cores.
I dont know how much effort it would be to implement, but I think it would be nice to have the option(in the mod settings) to make it so extreme temperatures can be managed just like their more mild counterparts, only other suggestion I have would be an option that tells you what terraforming projects are available for a given colony.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 18, 2023, 04:50:38 PM »

The hotfix works, that did just the trick!

Perfect. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I dont know how much effort it would be to implement, but I think it would be nice to have the option(in the mod settings) to make it so extreme temperatures can be managed just like their more mild counterparts, only other suggestion I have would be an option that tells you what terraforming projects are available for a given colony.

Hmm, maybe I'll add some information to the mod guide about the terraforming system and the limitations. I suspect some of the players who were used to DIY Planets have switched to TASC and didn't realize the limitations are much more strict.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 18, 2023, 05:09:22 PM »

Hmm, maybe I'll add some information to the mod guide about the terraforming system and the limitations. I suspect some of the players who were used to DIY Planets have switched to TASC and didn't realize the limitations are much more strict.
This is actually the first terraforming mod I've used for Starsector, the limitation just feels arbitrary to me since it's just a matter of time and/or scale.
Normal orbital shades dont block enough light to cool the planet? Just make more and/or bigger shades, same goes for heat sources on or around a cold planet.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 18, 2023, 05:20:45 PM »

This is actually the first terraforming mod I've used for Starsector, the limitation just feels arbitrary to me since it's just a matter of time and/or scale.
Normal orbital shades dont block enough light to cool the planet? Just make more and/or bigger shades, same goes for heat sources on or around a cold planet.

What about planets with tidal heating (ex. volcanic planets)? Shades will do nothing.

Likewise for planets with no star or a very dim star - more mirrors will not help.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »

What about planets with tidal heating (ex. volcanic planets)? Shades will do nothing.

Likewise for planets with no star or a very dim star - more mirrors will not help.
I agree that the volcanic planets would actually be too hot to terraform, but I dont agree that it's because of tidal heating, I'd say it's either from the shear overwhelming heat of the parent star or left over heat from the planet's formation, after all, Earth was most likely once a giant ball of molten rock.
(to really kill the idea that it's tidal heating compare the surface temperatures of Earth's moon with the surface temperatures of any other known moon)

For cold planets, if you dont have a star, make one, or even multiple. If you have a star, mirrors and lenses will work regardless of how hot or (relatively)cold it is, colder stars emit more of their light in the IR range(compared to other stars) which is the part that makes you feel warm in direct sunlight.

You can't convince me that people that can make ships fueled with antimatter and are capable of FTL travel, can't use relatively simple planetary heat management solutions that are in theory possible to make with current IRL technology. For anything people can colonize, whether it's like colonizing a Moon like object or an Earth like planet, heat is the probably easiest part to change at a large scale.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 19, 2023, 06:07:31 AM »

I'd say it's either from the shear overwhelming heat of the parent star or left over heat from the planet's formation, after all, Earth was most likely once a giant ball of molten rock.
(to really kill the idea that it's tidal heating compare the surface temperatures of Earth's moon with the surface temperatures of any other known moon)

Earth's moon experiences very minimal tidal heating. Contrast that with Io (moon of Jupiter) which has an internal magma ocean and volcanos due to tidal heating. My understanding is that it's incorrect to claim that heat from a star causes volcanism.

if you dont have a star, make one, or even multiple

This is not something that's practical with IRL technology (or even starsector-level technology based on the official lore) to say the least.

[REDACTED]

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 19, 2023, 08:14:15 AM »

I'd say it's either from the shear overwhelming heat of the parent star or left over heat from the planet's formation, after all, Earth was most likely once a giant ball of molten rock.

Earth's moon experiences very minimal tidal heating. Contrast that with Io (moon of Jupiter) which has an internal magma ocean and volcanos due to tidal heating. My understanding is that it's incorrect to claim that heat from a star causes volcanism.

if you dont have a star, make one, or even multiple

This is not something that's practical with IRL technology (or even starsector-level technology based on the official lore) to say the least.
1: If you have lava seas on the surface, that isnt from tidal heating
2:You took the "make a star" part too literally, making a giant orbital incandescent light of one form or another isn't any more impractical than any other large scale terraforming technique.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 19, 2023, 01:18:07 PM »

You can't convince me that people that can make ships fueled with antimatter and are capable of FTL travel, can't use relatively simple planetary heat management solutions that are in theory possible to make with current IRL technology.

Honestly, that sounds more like a "you" problem than an issue with the mod.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 223