Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1105203 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.3.4)
« Reply #2685 on: June 09, 2023, 05:52:53 AM »

this mod is great, thank you so much!

Just one question - is there a way to remove atmosphere from a planet? I see there are ways to make the atmosphere better (less toxic/dense/thin/extreme) but not to do away with it altogether.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

No, TASC does not allow the player to remove beneficial conditions from a planet.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: June 09, 2023, 06:05:53 AM »

Just one question - is there a way to remove atmosphere from a planet? I see there are ways to make the atmosphere better (less toxic/dense/thin/extreme) but not to do away with it altogether.

No, TASC does not allow the player to remove beneficial conditions from a planet.

I will expand and supplement the question a little, I will give an example - a volcanic planet is not very favorable for habitation, but is rich in minerals.  There is a desire to build a smelting building in the same place where mining is done, but then the artifact for smelting will not work.  Is it possible to remove the atmosphere from planets not intended for human habitation?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: June 09, 2023, 06:10:02 AM »

I will expand and supplement the question a little, I will give an example - a volcanic planet is not very favorable for habitation, but is rich in minerals.  There is a desire to build a smelting building in the same place where mining is done, but then the artifact for smelting will not work.  Is it possible to remove the atmosphere from planets not intended for human habitation?

I've addressed this previously in this thread - I know some special items are blocked by "beneficial" conditions and that players may want to remove those conditions, but I think this is lore incompatible and will create bad gameplay.

Terraforming should not feel like a console command, and limitations like this are what prevent it from becoming that.

Indie Winter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: June 09, 2023, 11:28:49 PM »

I am extremely thankful for the work you've done and continued to do in making this mod - but if I may offer a counterpoint to the lore issue?

The Domain was home to profiteering megacorps, who would absolutely remove the atmosphere from a planet if it meant they can install an item that makes Number Go Up

now, it should be up to the player whether they choose to do something similar according to their own playstyle. Maybe the removal of beneficiary planetary conditions can result in another form of colony debuff, or a reputation loss with other factions that despise those sort of corporate tactics

but as I've said this is your work and I understand if have a specific vision for it, I'm continuing to use it regardless

mortache

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: June 10, 2023, 04:04:22 AM »

I am extremely thankful for the work you've done and continued to do in making this mod - but if I may offer a counterpoint to the lore issue?

The Domain was home to profiteering megacorps, who would absolutely remove the atmosphere from a planet if it meant they can install an item that makes Number Go Up

now, it should be up to the player whether they choose to do something similar according to their own playstyle. Maybe the removal of beneficiary planetary conditions can result in another form of colony debuff, or a reputation loss with other factions that despise those sort of corporate tactics

but as I've said this is your work and I understand if have a specific vision for it, I'm continuing to use it regardless
Its true for autonomous mantle bores that can't be put on habitable planets, but if you're thinking of "no atmosphere" bonuses you can just use the stations since they get it by default. Lore wise its dubious. We already have "Polluted" worlds as well as worlds that are destroyed completely. So it's not unthinkable to at least ruin a world to the point its no longer habitable, if it means it can be better at mining. Especially when we have the "technology" to make habitable planets elsewhere.

I just headcanon it away by thinking the captain found advanced technology researched by the AI while exploring the outer worlds. Or perhaps we are Omega???  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:16:18 AM by mortache »

mortache

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: June 10, 2023, 04:08:39 AM »

Do multiple stations join each other in combat? If I make 3 astropolis above a planet, will they join each other in defending from raids etc? Maybe then I could ditch the orbital battlestation on the planet and have those 3 stations do the job?

Also, expanding stations after they reach size 6 isn't supposed to do anything, right?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: June 10, 2023, 05:56:12 AM »

Do multiple stations join each other in combat? If I make 3 astropolis above a planet, will they join each other in defending from raids etc? Maybe then I could ditch the orbital battlestation on the planet and have those 3 stations do the job?

Also, expanding stations after they reach size 6 isn't supposed to do anything, right?

No, there can only be one station in a given battle, even if the astropoli are very close together. However, the patrols from the market will attack nearby enemies just like with vanilla colonies that are close to each other.

No, vanilla imposes a market size cap of 6 so expanding the station beyond that will do nothing unless the player has a mod installed that removes the vanilla market size cap.

Its true for autonomous mantle bores that can't be put on habitable planets, but if you're thinking of "no atmosphere" bonuses you can just use the stations since they get it by default. Lore wise its dubious. We already have "Polluted" worlds as well as worlds that are destroyed completely. So it's not unthinkable to at least ruin a world to the point its no longer habitable, if it means it can be better at mining. Especially when we have the "technology" to make habitable planets elsewhere.

I just headcanon it away by thinking the captain found advanced technology researched by the AI while exploring the outer worlds. Or perhaps we are Omega???  ;)

I think the lore issue is more like why go through the trouble of removing an atmosphere from a planet when planets with no atmosphere are so abundant? And why bother developing the technology to do that in the first place? What would the colonists on a planet with an atmosphere think about the governor ignoring planets with no atmosphere and removing the atmosphere from their home?

I think it's kind of "gamey" and immersion breaking to put that option there.

mortache

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: June 10, 2023, 06:27:20 AM »

No, there can only be one station in a given battle, even if the astropoli are very close together.

But one of the Astropolis WILL join the defend the planet if it lacks a station?

I think the lore issue is more like why go through the trouble of removing an atmosphere from a planet when planets with no atmosphere are so abundant? And why bother developing the technology to do that in the first place? What would the colonists on a planet with an atmosphere think about the governor ignoring planets with no atmosphere and removing the atmosphere from their home?

I'm thinking more about the mining being blocked by "habitable" rather than refinery/heavy industry which can be put up on stations and still get the bonus from no atmosphere. One Luddic Church planet exists in the core world (desert-rocky iirc) which even has organics but isn't habitable. It would be nice to create a giga version of that world by cracking a planet and putting an Autonomous Mantle Bore in there. People have no issue living in horrible conditions if there's work, otherwise no one would leave picturesque rural villages to live in cities obscured with smog lol. Just look at the recent pics of New York lol.

Its nice that you try to balance the mod but honestly once a planet has 100,000 income the game is already won. Anything after that is just inconsequential "big number go up hehe" fun. So at least making it a hidden option would be nice, for those of us who want to make the world our oyster.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:33:19 AM by mortache »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: June 10, 2023, 10:26:58 AM »

But one of the Astropolis WILL join the defend the planet if it lacks a station?

I've never tested that, but I assume the answer is no.

Its nice that you try to balance the mod but honestly once a planet has 100,000 income the game is already won. Anything after that is just inconsequential "big number go up hehe" fun. So at least making it a hidden option would be nice, for those of us who want to make the world our oyster.

I suppose I can just add a non-default option for this given the volume of requests I get to implement it.

Agreed about balance - that's not an issue with this feature.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: June 10, 2023, 12:46:40 PM »

No, there can only be one station in a given battle, even if the astropoli are very close together. However, the patrols from the market will attack nearby enemies just like with vanilla colonies that are close to each other.

No, vanilla imposes a market size cap of 6 so expanding the station beyond that will do nothing unless the player has a mod installed that removes the vanilla market size cap.

Since the bore WAS useable on habitable worlds pre-collapse via a now lost console, it makes NO sense to have a way to make a world no longer habitable, and the option to remove the atmosphere is also nonsensical. Any company that needed a vaccuum environment for industry would have built a station, much like Eridani-Utopia built the Garnir Extraction Depot, Kapteyn Starworks, and (I think) Chupi Orco Syphon Station.

One thing you COULD do if people keep complaining about not being able to use the bore is add a non-default option to manufacture the Bore's control console that is mentioned in the lore. Having the console installed on population and infrastructure would then allow you to use the bore on habitable worlds, at the cost of demanding domain-era artifacts and regular metals. The console should NEVER spawn as ruins loot, and be exclusively a domain tech crafting thing.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: June 10, 2023, 12:50:43 PM »

No, there can only be one station in a given battle, even if the astropoli are very close together.

I'm thinking more about the mining being blocked by "habitable" rather than refinery/heavy industry which can be put up on stations and still get the bonus from no atmosphere. One Luddic Church planet exists in the core world (desert-rocky iirc) which even has organics but isn't habitable. It would be nice to create a giga version of that world by cracking a planet and putting an Autonomous Mantle Bore in there. People have no issue living in horrible conditions if there's work, otherwise no one would leave picturesque rural villages to live in cities obscured with smog lol. Just look at the recent pics of New York lol.

I mean, he COULD add a way to make worlds uninhabitable, but why not go for another idea?
The bore's description does say "While it is believed there are no functional control override units remaining in the Sector, the bore itself is capable of independent - if sometimes unpredictable - operation. Automatic-mode failsafes preclude its use on habitable worlds."
Why not have the domain-tech crafting menu allow us to make the control override unit as a special colony item?
Would need some crushing drawback to be balanced, though
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:58:55 PM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: June 10, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »

Is there a list what terraforming to a specific type will do to a planet?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: June 10, 2023, 01:49:19 PM »

Is there a list what terraforming to a specific type will do to a planet?

Yes, it's listed in the dialog box when selecting a terraforming project!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: June 10, 2023, 02:24:50 PM »

Why not have the domain-tech crafting menu allow us to make the control override unit as a special colony item?

I'm definitely not going to implement this. It would be very inelegant and confusing how it works.

Cooi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: June 10, 2023, 03:43:57 PM »

Hi, i just customized the settings dot json file in this mod and it is overridden by lunalib. The file says to change the settings using lunalib in game. I wanted to ask how to do that. Thanks. :)
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 223