Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1104503 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2250 on: December 06, 2022, 06:55:22 AM »

Hello boggled, i seem to have a crash that is similar to the one posted by truly, also after a really long 100+ hour game,

Code
3599098 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.campaign.econ.conditions.Cramped_Quarters.apply(Cramped_Quarters.java:75)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.addCondition(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.addCondition(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.PlanetConditionMarket.convertToRegular(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.getMarket(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.StarSystemDisplay.getStandaloneStations(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.OoOO.ÕÓO000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.OoOO.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.comms.F.Õø0000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.comms.F.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O$7.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Unlike him though i could not for the life of me find what was actually causing it, i tried doing a bunch of things differently and nothing really stopped it from crashing. Also weirdly it only crashed when i pressed the intel button, if i never pressed it seems i could play forever, as long as i never needed to load as all saves would become corrupted.

Another thing is that even though the crash seems to be related to the cramped quarters thing, i play with that setting off, is it still supposed to check for it even when its off?

The full log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60lzemszgic0m8x/starsector.log?dl=0

Sorry about this! I tried a bunch of different things to identify the cause and fix it for truly, but unfortunately I wasn't able to. I couldn't even replicate it - following the exact series of steps truly did failed to cause the crash on my system.

Though the crash is caused by Cramped Quarters (which runs even if disabled in the settings file), I think the root cause is something else, possibly caused by another mod. I think it has to do with the internal state of a market becoming corrupted or invalid during a very long duration campaign, since both you and truly have a ton of hours on the save file that experienced the issue.

truly found that the issue began right after destroying a market from another mod, and didn't happen if he avoided destroying it - did you do something similar before the crash started happening?

NovaSnake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: December 06, 2022, 12:44:46 PM »

Any chance that we'll be able to construct artillery stations of our own when the compat update for ind.evo is out? I'd rather enjoy being able to defend my home system more effectively! I imagine it being exceptionally expensive though, maybe late-midgame costs.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: December 06, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »

Any chance that we'll be able to construct artillery stations of our own when the compat update for ind.evo is out? I'd rather enjoy being able to defend my home system more effectively! I imagine it being exceptionally expensive though, maybe late-midgame costs.

No, I don't intend to add that feature. Sorry!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: December 07, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »

Volcanic Stuff...
There may be a consisent way to allow the player to improve volcanic worlds via the use of a specific colony item.

Lets imagine there's a building that can only be constructed on a volcanic world - call it a magma power plant, or some other suitably themed thing.
Give it a minor benefit that will attract the player's attention. Like a small but noticable reduction to colony maintenance.
A cryoarithmatic engine can be installed in this building to have the following effects:
  • Slight improvement to original effect of building.
  • If colony has extreme heat or extreme tectonics, those conditions are suppressed and replaced with a +25% rating for each labeled "Cryoarithmatic Adjustment" * (same process as the supress/replace the fusion lamp uses).
What this will not do:
  • Allow terraforming of the world into a different type.
  • Remove heat or tectonics entirely.

* Some random fluff about the cryo engine being "encouraged" to even more aggressively seek out and tap sources of heat, reducing the overall level of heat & thus energy in the tectonic system as it pecks away at whatever mundane but non-trival task its been given. (Processing trade tariff forms :P)
Alternatively if messing with conditions if undesireable, the cryo engine could give a flat reduction to hazard based on heat with the greater effect given to extreme heat (similar to the military bonus).

It may also be beneficial to consider allowing atmospheric changes on volcanic worlds using a similar mechanic to the magnetoshield.
The change stays as long as the building does - if the building is removed, the original condition(s) returns.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: December 07, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »

Volcanic Stuff...
There may be a consisent way to allow the player to improve volcanic worlds via the use of a specific colony item.

Lets imagine there's a building that can only be constructed on a volcanic world - call it a magma power plant, or some other suitably themed thing.
Give it a minor benefit that will attract the player's attention. Like a small but noticable reduction to colony maintenance.
A cryoarithmatic engine can be installed in this building to have the following effects:
  • Slight improvement to original effect of building.
  • If colony has extreme heat or extreme tectonics, those conditions are suppressed and replaced with a +25% rating for each labeled "Cryoarithmatic Adjustment" * (same process as the supress/replace the fusion lamp uses).
What this will not do:
  • Allow terraforming of the world into a different type.
  • Remove heat or tectonics entirely.

* Some random fluff about the cryo engine being "encouraged" to even more aggressively seek out and tap sources of heat, reducing the overall level of heat & thus energy in the tectonic system as it pecks away at whatever mundane but non-trival task its been given. (Processing trade tariff forms :P)
Alternatively if messing with conditions if undesireable, the cryo engine could give a flat reduction to hazard based on heat with the greater effect given to extreme heat (similar to the military bonus).

It may also be beneficial to consider allowing atmospheric changes on volcanic worlds using a similar mechanic to the magnetoshield.
The change stays as long as the building does - if the building is removed, the original condition(s) returns.

I'm not convinced something like this would improve gameplay. I deliberately avoided giving the player a way to suppress certain conditions (like tectonics and extreme heat/cold) because the limitations create a sense of realism and force the player to make interesting decisions about which planets to colonize, rather than terraforming being akin to a console command to create the perfect colony anywhere. If I allow the player to suppress tectonics and extreme heat on volcanic planets, they would expect to be able to do so on all planet types.

Also, I think the cryoarithmetic engine is particularly offensive from a lore/realism standpoint compared to most of the other special items, so I don't want to give it a more prominent role in TASC.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: December 07, 2022, 11:37:27 AM »

I do think that volcanic worlds though should be able to have an atmospheric processor to help with Toxicity/Density issues.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: December 07, 2022, 11:41:09 AM »

I do think that volcanic worlds though should be able to have an atmospheric processor to help with Toxicity/Density issues.

How can atmospheric toxicity be remediated when active volcanos are constantly spewing toxic gases all over the planet?

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: December 07, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »

How can atmospheric toxicity be remediated when active volcanos are constantly spewing toxic gases all over the planet?

How about something that mitigates the effect instead of eliminating it? Something along the lines of how the Harmonic Dampeners work, that way you'd have to compromise a building slot in order to mitigate the effects of the condition.

You would think that for this, Domes would be the answer, but the vast majority of the volcanic worlds come with tectonics, which means, no domes.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: December 07, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »

How about something that mitigates the effect instead of eliminating it? Something along the lines of how the Harmonic Dampeners work, that way you'd have to compromise a building slot in order to mitigate the effects of the condition.

You would think that for this, Domes would be the answer, but the vast majority of the volcanic worlds come with tectonics, which means, no domes.

I have notes for the next patch to make Domed Cities buildable if Harmonic Dampers are suppressing tectonic activity. This should allow players who are adamant about improving conditions on volcanic planets to suppress tectonic activity, toxic atmosphere, and dense atmosphere there.

It's only the extreme heat which will still be impossible to suppress - maybe I'll add a settings option to make Stellar Reflectors suppress Extreme Heat and Extreme Cold for players who really want it.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: December 08, 2022, 04:35:08 AM »

That would be why you'd need to keep the atmosphere processor, a rather expensive building, around permanently.
To y'know, process all that atmosphere that's getting pumped full of muck.
At least that's how I rationalised it. Cost vs effect.

It's only the extreme heat which will still be impossible to suppress - maybe I'll add a settings option to make Stellar Reflectors suppress Extreme Heat and Extreme Cold for players who really want it.
Would this be full suppression, or an equivalent of 1 "step" of heat hazard?
Might I suggest the latter could possibly be preferable.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: December 08, 2022, 06:13:02 AM »

Would this be full suppression, or an equivalent of 1 "step" of heat hazard?
Might I suggest the latter could possibly be preferable.

I don't think "partial" suppression is doable using the vanilla API - it's all or nothing. I could create an offsetting -25% hazard, but that would be confusing since all the other buildings suppress the condition, not offset the hazard (except Underwater Cities, because suppressing the water surface condition messes with Aquaculture).

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: December 08, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »

Well, that's why you need to keep the processor around, but there's also volcanic planets without a toxic atmosphere.  I imagine it's more like "you're removing the millions of years of toxic fumes building up in the atmosphere" rather than removing it permanently forever.  Like, the toxic atmosphere might become a problem in the future, but we're talking maybe a couple thousand cycles and then it's the future people's problem.  At least that's what makes sense to me, though you're the modder and have the final say of course.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: December 09, 2022, 07:01:55 AM »

I could create an offsetting -25% hazard, but that would be confusing since all the other buildings suppress the condition, not offset the hazard (except Underwater Cities, because suppressing the water surface condition messes with Aquaculture).
Yes, this is what I was trying to convey. The same way the fusion lamp works (without the resource related variability) - blot out the condition then put a modifier back in.

Like, the toxic atmosphere might become a problem in the future, but we're talking maybe a couple thousand cycles and then it's the future people's problem.
This. Also there is precedent for this specific outlook which can be seen when you create a new stable location.

Donahue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: December 13, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »

Am I going crazy or wasn't there an option to build an automonous station (like the mining/siphon/astropolis), if you have an AI core in your inventory?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: December 13, 2022, 01:24:35 PM »

Am I going crazy or wasn't there an option to build an automonous station (like the mining/siphon/astropolis), if you have an AI core in your inventory?

No, a feature like that has never been in TASC. Stations built using TASC are part of the player's faction initially.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 223