Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1105360 times)

Toxo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.5)
« Reply #1995 on: August 06, 2022, 05:35:26 AM »

I like this mod, but I guess I have to uninstall it.
I ran into the issue of not being able to terraform a volcanic world, and from what I could gather from this thread, it was because someone tried to inject his overbearing feel for immersion into this mod. The domain was described to be on an clarke-tech level of planetary- and mega-engineering capabilities, so turning a hot, tectonically active planet into something more habitable is surely not out of scope for them, especially since this mod is already far away from any realism. Turning a baren planet into a waterworld surely is an entirely impossible feat to accomplish within 400 days, or to give it an atmosphere. So on the issue of time alone, this mod is over the coocoo's nest anyways. The argument about "meaningful timeframes" therefore is mute to me.

On the fluff side of things, turning a volcanic planet habitable is easily manageable from a domain POV, especially since they are cannonically known to have set up floating continents on gas giants of all places. All it takes is some crust engineering. Either increase its mass with asteroid regolith, to have a thicker, cooler crust (negative side effects may as well be high gravity / no low gravity),resulting in normal tectonic activity, or introduce artificial nano filaments, which move down into the crust, and culminate into a thick metallic layer, to strengthen the crust vastly in most areas, and leave intentional weak spots under giant geothermal complexes to release the planetary pressure from its mantle, and turn it into industrially useful energy in the process.
And beyond that, we have even more esoteric fluff to justify it, given flux coils, p-space and planet-wide projector systems like the planetary shield. Cooking up some sciency-sounding fluff to take the heat and put it somewhere else, as Patrick would say it, is absolutely possible within the lore, even on a planetary scale. Key being to not take yourself so god damn serious, and put gameplay first.

If that isn't possible, I'll have to bite into the sour fruit, delete my campaign, and switch out this mod for DIY Planets. No loss for you, just a non-necessary waste of my time.
/rant

Otherwise a great mod.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 06, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »

I just found a decivilised planet that had stellar shades, which was neat !
Yeah, those are generated by vanilla though. I can't take credit!

They are ? How ?

I had found a planet, and noted some sensor contacts, when I got closer, there were 3 stellar shades in orbit. Something I'd never seen before. Surveying the planet found it to be decivilised. I had assumed this was a feature of the mod ?

Oh, vanilla has a possible condition for "orbital solar array", so vanilla generates planets with that condition, and your mod would then place mirrors/shades as appropriate for those planets ?

Vanilla generates planets with an existing array of orbital reflectors and the decivilized condition. TASC merely checks to see if vanilla put a mirror array in orbit around the planet, and if so, add the Stellar Reflector Array building to the colony.

TheDukeofErl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 06, 2022, 09:33:10 AM »

...but I decided to make it opt-out (via the settings toggle)...

The setting should probably be made more apparent: a keyword such as "analytics" would make it much easier to find, since that's exactly what this is. At the very least, doing that and including what's sent feels a bit more forward with it, in my opinion.

A website probably ends up being a little different too: there's an open assumption that a website will collect data that data, though since it collects that data, a privacy policy is generally (and should be) available.

As Whispborne suggested, a privacy policy here is probably a good idea. From a CYA perspective I'd say it's definitely worth making sure that you're complying with GDPR/COPPA/CCPA. That said, it might be a nothingburger on that front. It's just something that, from my perspective, is a risk that needs to be managed, as privacy laws are murky at best.

8.1.5 is not backwards compatible with previous versions of the mod.

On a different note, is this true of 8.1.4 -> 8.1.5? It looks like 8.1.5 was all bug fixes, other than prv. I spent a few minutes looking at the diffs of the source code and nothing really jumped out at me as anything that would cause issues but just wanted to double check. I apologize in advance if it's just as the notice said, that it's not compatible.

Jang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: August 06, 2022, 11:39:40 AM »

I've been enjoying this mod a lot, and I appreciate the concern for immersion that went into developing the mod. A sense of restraint is a fantastic quality to have in a mod author  ;D

One thing I would suggest is documentation for the terraforming options, b/c right now it seems like a new user would have to colonize a planet first to see whether it can be terraformed to their liking, and that's a pretty big commitment.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:41:52 AM by Jang »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: August 06, 2022, 01:54:52 PM »

...but I decided to make it opt-out (via the settings toggle)...

The setting should probably be made more apparent: a keyword such as "analytics" would make it much easier to find, since that's exactly what this is. At the very least, doing that and including what's sent feels a bit more forward with it, in my opinion.

A website probably ends up being a little different too: there's an open assumption that a website will collect data that data, though since it collects that data, a privacy policy is generally (and should be) available.

As Whispborne suggested, a privacy policy here is probably a good idea. From a CYA perspective I'd say it's definitely worth making sure that you're complying with GDPR/COPPA/CCPA. That said, it might be a nothingburger on that front. It's just something that, from my perspective, is a risk that needs to be managed, as privacy laws are murky at best.

Although I don't have a privacy policy, I have a notice in the original post and in the settings file about what the API is doing, and provide an easy way to disable it. I think that's sufficient given the limited nature of the data I'm collecting.

I don't make any money from developing TASC so I'm not concerned about legal issues.

8.1.5 is not backwards compatible with previous versions of the mod.

On a different note, is this true of 8.1.4 -> 8.1.5? It looks like 8.1.5 was all bug fixes, other than prv. I spent a few minutes looking at the diffs of the source code and nothing really jumped out at me as anything that would cause issues but just wanted to double check. I apologize in advance if it's just as the notice said, that it's not compatible.

I think it should probably be fine, especially if the player hasn't constructed the buildings that were changed. I didn't test whether the changes to the Remnant battlestation would work if the player had already built one, so I put the notice there out of an abundance of caution in case it causes problems.

I've been enjoying this mod a lot, and I appreciate the concern for immersion that went into developing the mod. A sense of restraint is a fantastic quality to have in a mod author  ;D

One thing I would suggest is documentation for the terraforming options, b/c right now it seems like a new user would have to colonize a planet first to see whether it can be terraformed to their liking, and that's a pretty big commitment.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

You're right that there's a lack of documentation for how the terraforming system works outside of the tooltips. That's not ideal, but I think the system is too complex to explain properly in a few paragraphs. It's much more intuitive to see a list of criteria on the tooltip.

Arkmagus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: August 06, 2022, 06:49:03 PM »

I discovered from the planet killer changelog that this mod had more than what I thought it had, even after using it for a couple months. Now I feel like Kylo Ren screaming "more!" after I excitedly set to true all the false arguments in the mod settings.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 06, 2022, 07:21:01 PM »

I discovered from the planet killer changelog that this mod had more than what I thought it had, even after using it for a couple months. Now I feel like Kylo Ren screaming "more!" after I excitedly set to true all the false arguments in the mod settings.

Enjoy!

Gundamfan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 06, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »

Hello, I am new to this mod, I want to say that thank you for this mod

I manage to make some crazy edits to your mod, I used the Console to make the Stations to be a Actual Planet like having resources and stuff for mining
thus making me oversaturate the economic Markets without *** people off

(Except the Ludd, they always kept sending me Armada after Armada and sabotaging my bases because of the absurd number of special items i installed in all my colonies and station from Piracy raiding, More for the salvage for me ;D )

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: August 07, 2022, 09:03:47 AM »

Hello, I am new to this mod, I want to say that thank you for this mod

I manage to make some crazy edits to your mod, I used the Console to make the Stations to be a Actual Planet like having resources and stuff for mining
thus making me oversaturate the economic Markets without *** people off

(Except the Ludd, they always kept sending me Armada after Armada and sabotaging my bases because of the absurd number of special items i installed in all my colonies and station from Piracy raiding, More for the salvage for me ;D )

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

IronLeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: August 07, 2022, 09:14:14 PM »

Hi Boggled.  Thank you for the amazing mod.

Quick question if you have time.
Are the Volturnian Lobsters supposed to become a commodity once seeded.
I seeded them with the Genelab.  I built a farm and I've waited a month but, they are not showing up as a commodity(export). 

They are being created on the planet as they are showing up in the colony's resource stockpiles.  They are also listed on the colonies conditions as Volturnian Lobster Pens +1.
Just curious if they are supposed to be exported or not.  Everything else on the colony seems fine Access & stability.

Thank you again! :)

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 08, 2022, 12:18:26 AM »

The domain was described to be on an clarke-tech level of planetary- and mega-engineering capabilities, so turning a hot, tectonically active planet into something more habitable is surely not out of scope for them
One of the first planets targeted for colonization in the Sector, Chicomoztoc was selected to become a center of industry, host to a nexus of huge nanoforges. Only a marginal terraforming candidate upon discovery, rapid early industry and later war has left the atmosphere choked with complex sulfur compounds, organics refining by-products, and a concerning but managable dusting of actinides.
-In-Game Description of Chicomoztoc

If a Mars-adjacent planet was somehow too much for the Domain's terraformers, then I'm pretty sure volcanic worlds were an instant no-no.
I don't disagree that Chico or even volcanic worlds are terraformable, but don't act like the lore's on our side here.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 08, 2022, 05:40:16 AM »

Hi Boggled.  Thank you for the amazing mod.

Quick question if you have time.
Are the Volturnian Lobsters supposed to become a commodity once seeded.
I seeded them with the Genelab.  I built a farm and I've waited a month but, they are not showing up as a commodity(export). 

They are being created on the planet as they are showing up in the colony's resource stockpiles.  They are also listed on the colonies conditions as Volturnian Lobster Pens +1.
Just curious if they are supposed to be exported or not.  Everything else on the colony seems fine Access & stability.

Thank you again! :)

I'm glad you like the mod!

Your description sounds like the lobsters are working properly. If you look at Volturn you can see the lobster pens work the same way there in vanilla, and I decided not to change the vanilla behavior.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 08, 2022, 06:51:06 AM »

Hi! Could you please make the options-selected data reporting feature opt-in rather than opt-out? I realize this is going to drastically reduce the amount of information you're getting, but I'm not comfortable with a mod having opt-out data collection features.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 08, 2022, 07:26:07 AM »

Hi! Could you please make the options-selected data reporting feature opt-in rather than opt-out? I realize this is going to drastically reduce the amount of information you're getting, but I'm not comfortable with a mod having opt-out data collection features.

The data will be too biased to be useful if it's opt-in, so I guess I'll just stop collecting it entirely.

I'll remove the API calls in the next update, and I shut down the webserver so the API calls being made from older versions of the mod won't do anything.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 08, 2022, 07:55:04 AM »

I thought the idea of mods containing malware was entirely ridiculous, and I certainly wouldn't do anything like that... but I guess you would, wouldn't you, which means it's only a matter of time before someone else does, so; pour one out for Starsector modding, we had a good run.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 223