Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Support fighters  (Read 2333 times)

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Support fighters
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »

Are they actually good investments or a waste of OP?

I fell in love with the Xyphos at first sight,and since i started playing, never failed to have at least one per carrier as soon as i had any at my disposition.
As it seems looking through the forums this is not exactly a good thing, and low-tech fighter/bombers are the way to go for efficiency.
However it's become impossible for me to not have a wall of mobile PD annihilating any missile, fighter or even frigate that even dares to approach my formation, allowing any warship to smash into melee without any risk of being flanked, and always having a flux advantage against tough opponents.

So, asking players that know the game, is it going to cripple my fleet in the latest stages against massive encounters? Should i ditch them? Or is this deviation acceptable and top-meta is not necessary to beat the hardest challenges the game (and mods) has to offer yet? Thank you in advance^^
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:01:41 PM by Scorpixel »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Support fighters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:13:12 PM »

Xyphos are really solid. They will work against the strongest enemies in their role of defense and lockdown, but make sure that your fleet also has something with heavy firepower so that you can still get kills in a timely manner. This could be offense oriented warships, or a few bomber carriers, really whatever works for you really. Just make sure the role is covered.

My only advice would be to not have mixed xyphos and others on a single carrier. Instead make dedicated carriers with Xyphos and dedicated carriers without (if you even want to use anything else!). This improves fighter coordination, as wings from a single fighter will stick together and attack as a wave.

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »

is this deviation acceptable and top-meta is not necessary to beat the hardest challenges the game (and mods) has to offer yet? Thank you in advance^^
In general the game is pretty easy and many different comps work just fine. The only actually hard fights that may require some specialization are against multiple [redacted] ordos and with mods I find fighting Dassault-Mikoyan, Blade Breakers and Shadowyards to be rather challenging. But keep playing and find out for yourself!

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »

I'm grateful from both answers, very informative!

One last question, as i'm currently using Herons as my only carrier type (due to them being the fastest available, along a mountable medium missile and decent combat stats), i wondered, once switching to those neat Legions(XIV) when in an endgame fleet (don't want to dive into the drover spam even if it sounds hilarious to watch).
-Can a Legion (particularly the bulkier version) be geared into an aberration with full defensive fighters and direct combat-oriented weaponry, or would it just amount to a disappointing ersatz of Onslaught minus flanking risks?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »

Legion + 4 Xyphos is extremely powerful as long as it doesn't send the Xyphos away. It makes a very fun player ship. The AI unfortunately tends to send its Xyphos away, exposing its engines. Not too much of a problem as long as you have enough ships to cover the rear.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:21 AM »

There's only one support ship isn't there? It would be nice if there was another fighter, like perhaps Wasp that follows the same behaviour and stick close to the carrier. My experience with Legions is disappointment. They sound great but if you can divide up the fleet into separate roles I find they generally act better.

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 07:30:45 AM »

There are more in mods. Diable, Blackrock and DME all have one.
Legions can be very nice with some good bombers, I especially like the XIV version. The point of them is to sit on the front line and slug it out while the bombers can do rapid fire bombing runs.